A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: A little Sicilian attempt...  (Read 1349 times)

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
A little Sicilian attempt...
« on: November 22, 2015, 11:15:52 AM »
...with very little knowledge of or direction to go, but it turned out OK.  Only pic taken was this final slice.  I'll give more info if there's interest.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline mbrulato

• I heart pizza
Re: A little Sicilian attempt...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 04:33:17 PM »
Loo,

Looks good from what I can tell in your pictures.  What was your workflow and dough formula used?  You said it was OK. What do you think you could improve?
Mary Ann

"Have courage and be kind" - Cinderella

Offline loowaters

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 10:24:52 AM »
Like I mentioned, really didn't have any direction a recipe...this may not even really be Sicilian in a purists eyes.  I adjusted a lighter dough recipe by using milk instead of water.  The formulation was...

100%  KABF
60  2% Milk (cold)
4.5  Olive Oil
2  Sugar
1  Sea Salt
1  IDY

TF=.158

8"x8" pan was 287g

Mixed a double batch (574g total bulk dough ball) in the KA mixer with spiral dough hook for approx. 10 minutes.  This particular dough ball was a fridge rise for 3 days.  When cold, the dough ball was patted out to a size slightly larger that the pan size.  Approx 1T of olive oil in pan then placed dough in pan and covered with Seran.  Allowed to rise to in humidified microwave (boiled water in the mic and left in there) until it seemed to double.

Covered with 10oz. of whole milk mozz to the edge to allow to caramelize.  Used one sausage link and covered the cheese with that sausage. Sauced on top.

Sauce:

Cento Crushed Tomato (puree'd)
Tomato Paste

Eyeball amounts of...
water to thin a bit
ground sea salt
ground black pepper
light brown sugar
basil
tarragon
garlic powder
red pepper flakes
onion powder

So, yes, this is pretty heavily seasoned sauce.

Topped with grated parm.

I had my large black cutter pan in the oven at middle rack position.  Preheated to 500*.  Placed on the preheated pan and cooked for 15 minutes.  Allowed to cool on rack before cutting into 4 large pieces.

This was good but since making this I tried a fresher dough.  I made dough in the AM and let rise twice before placing in oiled pan to rise again.  Seemed to make a better flavored crust.

Loo

Offline mbrulato

• I heart pizza
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 10:45:03 AM »
Loo,

Using milk in dough is non-traditional, but hey, if it works for you then by all means continue to do it that way.  My brother-in-law used to own and operate an Italian restaurant and pizzeria about 18 years ago.  He told me that he used the same dough for his Sicilian pies as he did for his NY pies.  He doesn't remember what the hydration was, but I would venture to guess that it was somewhere between 60 - 63%.  He would punch his dough down and let it rise for about 30-45 minutes in his Sicilian pan and place it above the deck ovens until they were ready to bake.

If you're interested in working with a higher hydration dough, here's what I do http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31228.0
Mary Ann

Offline loowaters

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 11:17:32 AM »
Just for a little explanation behind my milk rationale...it's as simple as remembering a an old Food Network show with Michael Chiarello where he was making focaccia and he said that he makes a basic pizza dough but replaces the water with milk in the recipe.  Nothing else behind it than that.

Loo

Offline mbrulato

• I heart pizza
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 11:27:33 AM »
Loo,

I should've typed that using milk in a Sicilian or NY dough is not traditional.  I've seen it used in Pizza Hut pan pizza clones usually in the form of milk powder.  I've also seen it used in some recipes in Peter Reinhart's American Pie book.  I'm not judging you by any means about the use of milk in your dough.  Like I said in my previous post, if it works for you, then use it   :chef:

Glad to read that your next attempt yielded a better tasting crust.
Mary Ann