A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Ligurian focaccia  (Read 8559 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Ligurian focaccia
« on: November 29, 2015, 06:31:13 PM »
I really liked this bread and will definitely make it again. Beautifully crispy on the outside and soft - almost creamy - inside. 6:38 in the video is where the genius happens.

2 medium potatoes boiled, cooled, skinned, mashed
1kg flour
600ml water
120ml (1/2c) milk
80 ml evoo
30g sea salt
2 Tbs sugar (I think they used diastatic malt powder in the video, but I didn't have any)
4.5 tsp IDY
Sliced onions soaked in ice water, rosemary leaves, and 50:50 evoo + water mix for top.

I used the general method in this video (since I was using IDY, I mixed everything together):

Dough risen to 2X; pan oiled with evoo then a sprinkle of sea salt on the oiled pan; risen for another 30 min in pan; dents poked with fingers; light topping of onions and rosemary; oil+water mixture applied; and lastly a sprinkle of sea salt.

Baked at 390F.

As a roll-replacement for the turkey dinner, the thickness worked really well, notwithstanding I'll probably cut the TF by 1/3 or so next time.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 06:35:20 PM by TXCraig1 »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
Re: Ligurian focaccia
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 06:42:34 PM »
Looks good Craig.  Nice job.  I hope to visit Liguria again this spring.

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 06:54:15 PM »
Nice, love a good potato bread, onions and rosemary perfect companions!

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 07:01:15 PM »
And.....love that water/olive oil thingy......who wooda thunk??? :drool:
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline jeff v

• Supporting Member
  • I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 08:21:34 PM »
Thanks for posting this. Too bad I'm off carbs for the next month or two.  :'(

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 10:54:28 PM »
I have made it before, hard to beat.  Onions, 'nuff said.

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 06:10:49 AM »
that looks great!  I love the color that they get with the light colored pan. 

did you wear a funky hat when you made yours?
Deb

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 06:18:54 AM »
Looks awesome - thanks for posting the details !!!
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 08:25:28 AM »
that looks great!  I love the color that they get with the light colored pan. 

did you wear a funky hat when you made yours?

No, but I let my hair go kind of wild.  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 10:55:08 AM »
Thanks for the link. I ate a ton of Ligurian Foccacia in my summer Holiday close to Imperia! Love the region, love the food. Will definitely use the recipe soon!
On a neapolitan pizza journey with Wood fired oven Pizza Party 70x70
My Pizza

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 11:45:11 AM »
Craig,

I am also a fan of this recipe but I think the amount of water and oil used in the video was a bit superfluous, to say the least, and was probably done for dramatic effect.

You may be familiar with the recipes of Vittorio Viarengo, whose recipes on his site "vivalafocaccia.com" are sometimes cited here.  Vittorio is a native Ligurean who grew up learning the tricks of the trade in his father's bakery.  On his youtube channel  he has myriad recipes for focaccia geared toward the home baker.  One recipe is similar to yours, adding potato in the dough mix, except in a slightly different manner (he emulsifies the potato along with the water used to boil them).  His recipe is actually based on a Tuscan "schiacciata" which he borrowed from a Tuscan food blogger.

I'll attach a couple of links for anyone interested.  As a newbie to the site, let me take this opportunity to say thanks to you, Craig, and everyone here for contributing to such an inspiring website.

http://www.tuscanfoodie.com/2011/12/no-knead-schiacciata-with-potato-in.html

Cheers,

Rolls
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:52:17 AM by Rolls »
Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 11:59:20 AM »
I am also a fan of this recipe but I think the amount of water and oil used in the video was a bit superfluous, to say the least, and was probably done for dramatic effect.

You may be familiar with the recipes of Vittorio Viarengo, whose recipes on his site "vivalafocaccia.com" are sometimes cited here.  Vittorio is a native Ligurean who grew up learning the tricks of the trade in his father's bakery.  On his youtube channel  he has myriad recipes for focaccia geared toward the home baker.  One recipe is similar to yours, adding potato in the dough mix, except in a slightly different manner (he emulsifies the potato along with the water used to boil them).  His recipe is actually based on a Tuscan "schiacciata" which he borrowed from a Tuscan food blogger.

You may be right about the amount of oil+water used in the video. It certainly captured my attention, and it worked, it's the reason I tried the recipe. With the amount of dough I had in the pan, I couldn't have used anywhere near that much even if I wanted to, and it's probably a good thing. I don't think it would have turned out as well if I had used a lot more.

Thanks for the links. I like the idea of using the potato water too.

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 05:37:33 AM »
wow, this is awesome.  I made some yesterday, it's 5 am and I'm already eating it again.

Deb

Offline waynesize

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 12:18:41 PM »
I will be trying this today.  Just started boiling the potatoes.  Having a pasta dinner at my Mom's house this evening. It sound like a perfect bread to have along side our pastas.

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 10:41:09 AM »
Craig, this looks sooooooo good!  You say baked at 390F.  Do you recall how long?  I made a bread sort of like this yesterday, not really followng a recipe, just some 2 week old dough, a lot of olive oil in the pan and on top wth some olives and tomatoes. Baked mine for almost 30 minutes at 425.  THe potatoes must have made this just phenomenal. 
Reesa

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 10:51:49 AM »
Thanks! I didn't pay attention to the bake time. I went by color.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 01:08:51 PM »
Craig,

I am trying this recipe (sourdough conversion). How much oil:water do you think would be best for a full recipe? Thanks.

Bill

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 01:17:07 PM »
Craig,

I am trying this recipe (sourdough conversion). How much oil:water do you think would be best for a full recipe? Thanks.

Bill

I used a cup or so and would have used even more if I didn't make so much dough/used bigger pan. I'd make about 1.5 cups and go by eye. I think you want to error on the heavy side.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2016, 06:04:24 PM »
Bill,

Looking forward to your results with the SD.

When Craig first posted this, I thought to myself I'd like to try it using the water left over from rehydrated dry porcini.  I'll have to give it a try one of these days.

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2016, 06:27:12 PM »
Bill,

Looking forward to your results with the SD.

When Craig first posted this, I thought to myself I'd like to try it using the water left over from rehydrated dry porcini.  I'll have to give it a try one of these days.

I LOVE the leftover water from rehydrating porcini's!! Next best thing to beef stock, I rarely ever toss it

jon
Jon