A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chicago Thin - a labor of love  (Read 149208 times)

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Re: Chicago Thin - a labor of love
« Reply #480 on: July 05, 2017, 11:42:32 AM »
PIZZA FACTORY AGAIN!

I love the sauce, and the texture.

Made two cutter pan 16 inch Italian Sausage, Red Onion, Hot Banana Peppers here.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:05:03 PM by Mmmph »
Practice makes pizza

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #481 on: July 06, 2017, 05:58:16 AM »
Phew!!! That looks darn good.

Would you mind sharing some details on the bake especially the dough?
Regards Mo

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #482 on: July 06, 2017, 09:10:56 AM »

I don't know if Mmmph did anything different than the original, but this post has the dough/sauce recipe from the OP   https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17662.msg171274.msg#171274

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #483 on: July 06, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »

I followed Garvey's original dough and sauce formulation. I use a cutter pan, however.
Practice makes pizza

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #484 on: July 06, 2017, 12:01:58 PM »
I followed Garvey's original dough and sauce formulation. I use a cutter pan, however.
I was gonna use a cutter pan (American Metalcraft refers to them as CAR pans) as well. There's mostly just hate here for brands like Contadina and Hunts, but sometimes a particular brand just fits best for a specific recipe so I'll definitely try it. I've never tried Contadina anything, but I personally don't think Hunts is as awful as most here.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:15:10 PM by csnack »

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #485 on: July 06, 2017, 10:51:07 PM »
I tried a can of Hunts organic crushed recently and I thought they were really fresh tasting.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #486 on: July 10, 2017, 05:15:11 PM »
PIZZA FACTORY AGAIN!

Made two cutter pan 16 inch Italian Sausage, Red Onion, Hot Banana Peppers here.

Dude, those look awesome.  Nice work.

I've never had luck with cutter pans.  Glad you know how to use them, because I clearly don't. 

lol.  This is probably one of the most detailed recipes in the forum.  That said, "Know thine oven."  Baking varies from kitchen to kitchen, so the recipe is a rough guideline of what I've found to work for me and the equipment I have, give or take.  When I make this pizza at a different place, I have to vary what I do.  However, this style of pizza is fairly forgiving.  It's not a 53-second bake Neapolitan pizza or anything.

There's mostly just hate here for brands like Contadina and Hunts, but sometimes a particular brand just fits best for a specific recipe so I'll definitely try it. I've never tried Contadina anything...

I've made this recipe with just about every kind of paste out there, and Contadina is simply the one that works for this recipe, as you said.  Everything else is "off."

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 05:22:38 PM by Garvey »

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #487 on: July 10, 2017, 08:53:43 PM »
PIZZA FACTORY AGAIN!

yeah!!  those look awesome!!  nice work!!!  Garvey's recipe rules!!!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #488 on: July 10, 2017, 09:25:01 PM »

I've never had luck with cutter pans.  Glad you know how to use them, because I clearly don't. 

Why hasn't the cutter pan worked for you? What ends up happening with your results using it? I think Tom said a cutter pan with some oil in it with some decking under the pan, where "decking" in this case I believe is a stone, is what I he recommended I think, though I haven't tried any of the thin crusts yet. I suppose it comes down to what works in a specific oven as well idfk.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #489 on: July 11, 2017, 12:22:10 AM »
That pie looks great, except it only has about half of the requisite cheese to be a true Midwest thin crust.   :chef:

Offline Garvey

« Reply #490 on: July 11, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »
Why hasn't the cutter pan worked for you? What ends up happening with your results using it? I think Tom said a cutter pan with some oil in it with some decking under the pan, where "decking" in this case I believe is a stone, is what I he recommended I think, though I haven't tried any of the thin crusts yet. I suppose it comes down to what works in a specific oven as well idfk.

The cutter pans I have are beautifully seasoned, heavy-ish pans from a restaurant.  The crust just stays too blonde and takes forever.  I really have no need for cutter pans: I just thought they might make things easier.  There are cutter pan people, screen people, foil people, and cornmeal-dusted (or semolina-dusted) peel people.  I stick with the latter two.   Foil if I'm feeling lazy.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #491 on: July 11, 2017, 11:41:20 AM »
That pie looks great, except it only has about half of the requisite cheese to be a true Midwest thin crust.   :chef:

Haha.  Yeah, my recipe calls for 6-8oz.  I just got back from up there and was reminded of just how cheese-heavy a lot of places go.

wordpress