A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Making frozen, par baked, deep dish pizza  (Read 2621 times)

Offline topjimmy

• Second City My Ass!
Making frozen, par baked, deep dish pizza
« on: November 23, 2009, 04:00:37 PM »
Has anyone had any luck making pizzas, par baking them, and then freezing them?

I believe that Home Run Inn, Cheese and Plum Tomato Pizza is by far the best frozen pizza around.  I am curious how difficult it would be to start freezing my deep dish creations.

Wouldn't it be great to have 2 or 3 on hand at all times for those unexpected cravings?

Please help,
James

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Re: Making frozen, par baked, deep dish pizza
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 09:00:31 PM »
Welcome to the board topjimmy.  I've never tried to par bake then freeze but I'm sure it would turn out fine no matter what type of pie you are freezing.  Freezing DD pies, I would tell you to freeze it in the pan initially to avoid ruining an underbaked crust trying to remove it from that pan.  After it's frozen get it in to something kinda sealable or use foil.  A foil pan and clear plastic top crimped on like Sara Lee coffee cake packaging were good enough for Home Run Inn for the first 25 years of freezing and selling in stores, aluminum foil should be good enough for us.  If you have one of those vacuum seal things, I'd do that but it obviously would limit your pizza sizes to the width of the packaging.  Same with zip lock.

Remember, these places that do commercial freezing of their pizzas flash freeze them at, like, 0 kelvin.  OK maybe not that cold but somewhere close.  I don't have that ability at my home.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 01:06:56 AM »
Hi, I was just interested in this topic of parbaked deep dish crusts.

This picture is from Home Run Website for their frozen deep dish. to me it looks like the crust is parbaked and then layered with cooked frozen sausage? Would be nice if possible. I don't generally see that kind of crumb structure when I make a sausage deep dish, perhaps my dough is too thin though. I'm going to try and increase the amount of dough in the middle of my deep dish for awhile.

Offline mattvorwald

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 04:27:20 PM »
Has anyone had any luck making pizzas, par baking them, and then freezing them?

I believe that Home Run Inn, Cheese and Plum Tomato Pizza is by far the best frozen pizza around.  I am curious how difficult it would be to start freezing my deep dish creations.

Wouldn't it be great to have 2 or 3 on hand at all times for those unexpected cravings?

Please help,
James

James,

I have baked rounds of deep dish pizzas and kept 10 or so for later use.  My method was to par bake the crust for 6 min at 450, then pull out and let cool.  Then I added all other ingredients, and simply wrapped the aluminum pans (with cardboard top) several times with saran wrap.  They bake up pretty phenomenally in the end.  I have also shipped multiple pizzas to friends using UPS, though that only works with insulated containers and dry ice in non-summer months. 

wordpress