A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza alla Romana  (Read 43341 times)

Offline hotsawce

Re: Pizza alla Romana
« Reply #360 on: July 07, 2020, 12:26:31 PM »
Antilife,

Do you have a thickness factor or doughball weight you like to use for a given size for taglio? I'm looking for a proper weight for a 12" x 18" sheet pan

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #361 on: July 07, 2020, 12:33:40 PM »
I'd say that 700-750g of dough would be alright for that kind of pan.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Pete_da_Bayer

• I Love pizza and beer!
« Reply #362 on: July 07, 2020, 02:17:15 PM »
Antilife,

Do you have a thickness factor or doughball weight you like to use for a given size for taglio? I'm looking for a proper weight for a 12" x 18" sheet pan
The formula: area in cm : 2 = weight of the doughball in g. I usually add 10% on top.

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #363 on: July 07, 2020, 04:57:24 PM »
Antilife,

Bonci states that the formula is pan length (cm) X width (cm) X .5 = dough ball weight in grams. This formula has worked fine for me.

So for a 12"x18" pan, Bonci's formula works out to be 697 grams.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #364 on: July 07, 2020, 05:16:39 PM »
Antilife,

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40750.msg468913#msg468913

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #365 on: July 07, 2020, 11:04:31 PM »
Bonci states that the formula is pan length (cm) X width (cm) X .5 = dough ball weight in grams. This formula has worked fine for me.

So for a 12"x18" pan, Bonci's formula works out to be 697 grams.
That works out to be a thickness factor of 0.114
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #366 on: July 08, 2020, 07:46:25 PM »
To the Moderators:

This thread has been read about 40k times. It contains the best information on this style of pizza and the original poster has been more than generous with sharing information. Please consider granting this thread "Sticky Status".

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #367 on: July 08, 2020, 08:04:14 PM »
To the Moderators:

This thread has been read about 40k times. It contains the best information on this style of pizza and the original poster has been more than generous with sharing information. Please consider granting this thread "Sticky Status".
Paul,

I agree. Done.

Peter

Offline Redcrust

• Pizza Traveler
« Reply #368 on: July 12, 2020, 12:09:23 AM »
Thank you so much, Stefano! Your bread always looks amazing! :drool: You are so kind and so patient in answering all questions! Thanks for sharing so many recipes and details. I will be practicing with some 72 hr dough tomorrow. Wish me luck. Thanks again for helping everyone out. You're the best!

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #369 on: July 12, 2020, 04:49:33 AM »
Thank you so much, Stefano! Your bread always looks amazing! :drool: You are so kind and so patient in answering all questions! Thanks for sharing so many recipes and details. I will be practicing with some 72 hr dough tomorrow. Wish me luck. Thanks again for helping everyone out. You're the best!
Thanks for fantastic words. I understand the problems of amateur  pizzamakers, because first of all, despite now i m Professional I remain an amateur. Remember that all the informations are under our eyes... We need only to connect these informations

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #370 on: July 13, 2020, 11:49:40 AM »
So I did 750ish grams for a 12 x 16. Tried a pizza bianca but I get huge runaway bubbles (see photo.) any idea why this is happening?

Edit: this was a 73 water + 2 oil dough - 48h cold + 24h cold. Balls were pretty chilly when I stretched and baked
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 11:58:11 AM by hotsawce »

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #371 on: July 13, 2020, 12:11:06 PM »
I've had this happen a few times when I did the finger docking with too light of a touch. You really need to press hard enough to feel the surface under the pizza dough, but not so hard as to poke holes in the dough.

This can also happen if you forget to drizzle olive oil on top prior to baking. With nothing to hold the dough down, it sometimes develops huge pockets like this.
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #372 on: July 13, 2020, 12:23:28 PM »
I do a very light dimple so that makes sense. I worry about knocking the air out or messing up the crumb.

I've had this happen a few times when I did the finger docking with too light of a touch. You really need to press hard enough to feel the surface under the pizza dough, but not so hard as to poke holes in the dough.

This can also happen if you forget to drizzle olive oil on top prior to baking. With nothing to hold the dough down, it sometimes develops huge pockets like this.

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #373 on: July 13, 2020, 01:28:35 PM »
I do a very light dimple so that makes sense. I worry about knocking the air out or messing up the crumb.

The way I intuitively understand this process is that when you dimple, you essentially turn the large air pockets into a matrix of medium sized bubbles (maybe 1-3cm in size each). This way, you are managing the bubble structure and creating the hills and valleys of the final product. I'd like to see what Stefano has to say on this.
Alex

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #374 on: July 13, 2020, 02:09:05 PM »
So I did 750ish grams for a 12 x 16. Tried a pizza bianca but I get huge runaway bubbles (see photo.) any idea why this is happening?

Edit: this was a 73 water + 2 oil dough - 48h cold + 24h cold. Balls were pretty chilly when I stretched and baked
The problem is the stretching in pan. One of the most difficult step to learn. You need to try and try and obtain the right skill. I spet 2 years to try, every wednesday..

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #375 on: July 13, 2020, 02:18:11 PM »
The problem is the stretching in pan. One of the most difficult step to learn. You need to try and try and obtain the right skill. I spet 2 years to try, every wednesday..

Stefano,

Don't you also let the dough rest at room temperature for a few hours after removing it from the refrigerator prior to stretching the dough?

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #376 on: July 13, 2020, 02:57:02 PM »
Stefano,

Don't you also let the dough rest at room temperature for a few hours after removing it from the refrigerator prior to stretching the dough?
I move to RT, make immediatly balls and wait the leavening. After that, stretch ball in pan and bake

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #377 on: July 13, 2020, 03:16:58 PM »
I move to RT, make immediatly balls and wait the leavening. After that, stretch ball in pan and bake

Thanks, that is what I remembered. Looking back, it seems I let my doughs sat at RT, after CF, for about three or four hours. My dough really improved when I started following your management method!

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #378 on: July 13, 2020, 03:21:08 PM »
My dough really improved when I started following your management method!

Same here.
Alex

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #379 on: July 13, 2020, 03:50:18 PM »
Looking back, it seems I let my doughs sat at RT, after CF, for about three or four hours.

I've been comparing the workflow of several well known makers of this style and they all form the balls once the dough mass has been removed from the fridge.  The appretto or final proofing stage takes place at room temperature and usually lasts between 3 and 4 hours.  This is also what is prescribed in the disciplinare for Pizza in Teglia alla Romana put out by the Confraternita della Pizza.

Rolls 
Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

wordpress