A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza alla Romana  (Read 38485 times)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Re: Pizza alla Romana
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2017, 08:27:09 AM »
Antilife - thank you for your help! I tried to make my first pizza alla romana tonight, and i wouldnt characterize it as a success. It was a challenge working with such a wet dough, and I may have been too rough with the dough trying to fold it and shape it on day 1, and the day 2 reshaping. In the end the dough never really rose in the oven. There was no oven spring really, and the pizza cooked as thin, dense bread. I did 48hrs CF, using .075% ADY, and 80% hydration. I will keep trying, as I strive to make something like you're making!

Pretty low yeast amount, Did it not rise because it was way underfermented?
the proof is in the pizza

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2017, 10:59:42 AM »
Antilife - thank you for your help! I tried to make my first pizza alla romana tonight, and i wouldnt characterize it as a success. It was a challenge working with such a wet dough, and I may have been too rough with the dough trying to fold it and shape it on day 1, and the day 2 reshaping. In the end the dough never really rose in the oven. There was no oven spring really, and the pizza cooked as thin, dense bread. I did 48hrs CF, using .075% ADY, and 80% hydration. I will keep trying, as I strive to make something like you're making!
justazaguy, close to you can you find fresh yeast. Fresh yeast is perfect for Pizza alla Romana, because have more envelope than ADY. This receipe converted for ADY ..use 0,35%

Offline justazaguy

• ZAZAZAZAZA
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2017, 12:58:27 PM »
Pretty low yeast amount, Did it not rise because it was way underfermented?

justazaguy, close to you can you find fresh yeast. Fresh yeast is perfect for Pizza alla Romana, because have more envelope than ADY. This receipe converted for ADY ..use 0,35%
you both are right!!! I must have miscalculated my yeast significantly. This explains A LOT! I'll try it again now.

Do you try to reshape/fold the dough every 24 hours? I did that each day, but after a few minutes the skin would break and then would become unmanageable. Maybe I should've worked it less.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:12:28 PM by justazaguy »

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2017, 06:03:22 PM »
Nice work, Antilife!  You are inspiring me to try this style again :o

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2017, 06:47:25 PM »
you both are right!!! I must have miscalculated my yeast significantly. This explains A LOT! I'll try it again now.

Do you try to reshape/fold the dough every 24 hours? I did that each day, but after a few minutes the skin would break and then would become unmanageable. Maybe I should've worked it less.
This is my friend Gabriele, each 24h.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-f9e-EOGItRRXZMOURvZXJBMFk/view?usp=drivesdk

Nice work, Antilife!  You are inspiring me to try this style again :o
Thanks Parallei. I think this kind of pizza is the most artistic and deep in fact of studies concerning doughs and toppings
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 06:52:31 PM by Antilife »

Offline Pizza Baker

• I Love Wood Fired Pizza!
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2017, 07:44:24 AM »
Antilife, What is the protein % of the various flours you use? I'm trying to find comparable USA flours. Do you add oil to the dough? Thanks Jim
Jim

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2017, 07:48:59 AM »
13/13,5 and for real pizza alla romana you MUST use about 2% of oil EVO

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2017, 05:41:21 PM »
Pizza Baker i use Blue Iron pans 30cmx40cm

600 gr

I was wondering too.  That is a TF of 0.5g/cm2 or 0.11oz/in2
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 05:44:52 PM by parallei »

Offline justazaguy

• ZAZAZAZAZA
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2017, 01:43:49 AM »
Antilife - Ok, I saw significant improvement on my 2nd pie (which is great!), but still didn't get nearly the rise you're getting. Additionally, I'm not getting my air pockets looking anything like yours. I'll switch to fresh yeast next time.

When I saw CF originally, i thought you meant a cold ferment, so I've been fermenting in my refrigerator which is 36F/2C. Am I understanding correctly that you're actually using CF to signify a controlled ferment at 18C/64F, and never really dropping much lower temperature than that? If so, that is probably a huge difference maker. Thank you again!!! I'm really enjoying trying to learn this process.

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2017, 02:18:35 AM »
Antilife - Ok, I saw significant improvement on my 2nd pie (which is great!), but still didn't get nearly the rise you're getting. Additionally, I'm not getting my air pockets looking anything like yours. I'll switch to fresh yeast next time.

When I saw CF originally, i thought you meant a cold ferment, so I've been fermenting in my refrigerator which is 36F/2C. Am I understanding correctly that you're actually using CF to signify a controlled ferment at 18C/64F, and never really dropping much lower temperature than that? If so, that is probably a huge difference maker. Thank you again!!! I'm really enjoying trying to learn this process.
Justazaguy, my dough rest all time at 4/5c  in refrigerator (white) and only in the last hours i put in my WineBar (black) at 18/20c. Remember that Teglia Romana is management and mannuality. One of the most critical step is the passage in pans and stretching.... exercise yourself in that step and the result will be better!!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:06:53 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2017, 06:14:07 PM »
50% Pivetti Girasole 00
40% Denti InFibra Tipo1
10% Semolina Agiugaro
80% Hydros
0,7% Fresh Yeast
2,5% Salt
2% Evo
48h (44CF+4RT)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2017, 09:24:37 PM »
Those look great!
the proof is in the pizza

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2017, 08:31:09 AM »
Thx Invertedisdead  😉

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2017, 10:40:18 AM »
Bonci, Lungo, Valdes, Arletto e Antilife: il pantheon dei grandi pizzaioli italiani :chef:.  Forse conosci anche Mirko Rizzo per caso?  Molto bravo anche lui.  Sono curioso: Marco Lungo non raccomanda i rigeneri per la teglia e insiste che gli alveoli devono essere ben rotondi come indicazione di una corretta lievitazione.  Cosa ne pensi? 

Complimenti, le tue pizze sono meravigliose...mi fanno venire l'aquolina in bocca :drool:

Saluti,

Rolls

(For those who don't understand italian, I'm asking Antilife about the correct crumb structure for "pizza in teglia".  There seems to be diverging opinions about this among some of the notable pizzamakers in Italy whom he has cited in this thread)
Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2017, 11:40:32 AM »
Thanks Rolls.Yes , i know Mirko. (In next my travel on 17 March , I will try his Pizza). I talk with a lot of this Pizzamakers for long time (Valdès and Lungo in Primis) and each one has his own concept of Pizza and crumb structure... Remember that the real Creator and Innovator of teglia alla romana is Angelo Iezzi.

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2017, 12:44:36 PM »
Thanks for mentioning Angelo Iezzi - it's not a name I recognize.  Please report back on the pizza & fritti at Pommidoro when you visit Mirko.  It was always a pleasure reading his posts and watching his videos at Profumi Dal Forno.  You certainly rub elbows with some of the top pizza guys in Italy.  Wish I also had the chance to learn from them in person like you!

Take care.

Rolls
I really miss Italy :'(

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2017, 01:01:47 PM »
Rolls...in this moment , i'm watching working Andrea Boscolo at his Pizzeria Antichi Sapori in Chioggia(VE). I'm learning how work a pizzeria in teglia and workflows. One of the best pizza Romana in North Italy
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 06:49:44 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2017, 01:13:59 PM »
Now I am even more jealous!  I will have to visit Antichi Sapori next time I'm in Italy. My family is from the Veneto region.

Rolls

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2017, 09:03:21 AM »
60% Pivetti Girasole,
30% Denti InFibra Mix W340
10% Senatore Cappelli Marino
80% Idro
0,7% Lbf
2% Evo
3% Salt
Carbonara 3.0
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:06:56 AM by Antilife »

Offline jsaras

« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2017, 09:18:03 AM »
I could drive a car through those holes!
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

wordpress