A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza alla Romana  (Read 31513 times)

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
Re: Pizza alla Romana
« Reply #320 on: June 15, 2019, 12:48:10 PM »
A Good 'Semola Rimacinata'

Offline tfox39

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #321 on: June 20, 2019, 06:01:56 PM »
Flour 100% 335g (301g of caputo, 34g of semolina rimacinata)
Water 80% 268g
Salt 2.5% 8.375g
EVOO 2% - 6.7g
IDY 0.4% 1.34g
Total 619.415
Ended up with a 24 hr CF and 2 hr RT

I tried doing a test batch with the above formula (first Taglio attempt) with some leftover chef's flour that I had. The pizza actually tasted fine to me, but there's obviously much to work on with it being only the first bake. After mixing the dough, I left it out at room temp for an hour and it was already very active (many visible air pockets under the mixing bowl). Maybe I should have cut the time or IDY % down because it is about 85f/29c here. Or would leaving it in the fridge for an hour be better? I want to try pushing it to a 48hr CF. Would it be best to just start with cutting the IDY in half with the temperature we are having here? Or should I be more concerned about the stretching/folding in such a high temp that I should cut it down further?

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #322 on: June 20, 2019, 11:57:40 PM »
You Need to give more time to RT so the ball lose  tenacity to stretch. For the fist time is a good test..... Remember that a Teglia with tomatoes and mozzarella is really hard to grow

Offline tfox39

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #323 on: June 21, 2019, 09:56:21 AM »
You Need to give more time to RT so the ball lose  tenacity to stretch. For the fist time is a good test..... Remember that a Teglia with tomatoes and mozzarella is really hard to grow
But you wouldn't cut down IDY to stretch my CF? Also, what is a good starting point for trying sourdough yeast for 48hr CF? Does around 7% seem right? (Basing that off a recipe calling for 15% or so for 24hr CF).

I did leave off the mozzarella until the last few minutes, but I'm sure between the weight of the sauce and also my uneven stretching, it didn't help the growth of the pizza. Thank you for your help.

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #324 on: June 21, 2019, 03:37:52 PM »
Sourdough is not good for teglia romana. You need of power and balance of taste

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #325 on: June 22, 2019, 07:46:54 AM »
You could try making a biga a day or two ahead. Use that together with some yeast to get more flavour and good rising power.
Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria (Blue Bag), Mutti S. Marzano (DOP) :)

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #326 on: August 24, 2019, 08:53:10 PM »
Stefano, when you make these beautiful Pizza in Teglia's, and you ferment the bulk for 48 hours in the fridge, are you looking for the bulk dough to double in the fridge, or increase by 20%, 30%, or does it not matter?

How about when you make 48 hour fridge doughs for Pizza Napoletana?

The reason I ask, is that my fridge tends to run quite cold - closer to 0 to 2C, and sometimes the bulk dough stops rising completely. Wondering if that's normal, or if I should really make sure I am at 4C exactly.

Thanks!

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #327 on: August 25, 2019, 09:07:50 AM »
From 30% to double

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #328 on: August 25, 2019, 11:05:54 AM »
You could try making a biga a day or two ahead. Use that together with some yeast to get more flavour and good rising power.
There's my 100% biga that i love, but is an emergency dough. When i have no time or space in fridge

Offline tfox39

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #329 on: August 25, 2019, 12:59:22 PM »
Could you post a photo of what your dough looks like when you take it out of the fridge to sit at room temp?

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #330 on: August 26, 2019, 12:22:18 PM »

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #331 on: August 30, 2019, 05:46:18 PM »
Could you post a photo of what your dough looks like when you take it out of the fridge to sit at room temp?
Here one photo of my new doughs... Before balls

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #332 on: September 05, 2019, 01:06:40 PM »
Looks amazingly puffy! Stefano, I tried this recipe from your website and was very happy with the results! I used 90% Caputo Cuoco and 10% Caputo Semola. Thanks for sharing:

http://www.0059.it/teglia-romana-48h/

Question: For pizza in pala, have you ever tried mixing wheat flour, rice flour, soy flour and dry sourdough to emulate Pinsa Romana? If so, how do you like it? I read on other posts that a few folks have tried to add soy flour to their dough and it ended up smelling weird, so I'm wondering if it's even worth trying. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 01:19:08 PM by DoouBall »

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #333 on: September 05, 2019, 01:36:16 PM »
With Molino Denti we creating CROKKIA mix for Pala Romana and Pinsa, using rice Flour and dried sourdough but with out soy because is an allergen and in the future probably will be unused.

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #334 on: September 05, 2019, 01:46:04 PM »
Makes sense to me. What % rice flour would you recommend adding to a pizza in pala flour blend as a starting point? I was thinking 15% based on this recipe, just not sure how accurate the recipe is:

https://www.silviocicchi.com/pizzachef/impasto-pizza-tipo-pinsa-romana/?lang=en

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #335 on: September 05, 2019, 02:23:53 PM »
If I understood correctly the rice flour gives mostly starches, and the soy flour gives gluten?  I saw a similar dough made by the brotherhood and it was incredibly strong even at very high hydration.  Was quite amazing!  Can't remember it smelling strange, but not sure I smelled the dough itself..
Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria (Blue Bag), Mutti S. Marzano (DOP) :)

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #336 on: September 05, 2019, 02:27:11 PM »
Makes sense to me. What % rice flour would you recommend adding to a pizza in pala flour blend as a starting point? I was thinking 15% based on this recipe, just not sure how accurate the recipe is:

https://www.silviocicchi.com/pizzachef/impasto-pizza-tipo-pinsa-romana/?lang=en
Douuball, your taste is the best  councilor. Try it with 10 and after 15

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #337 on: September 05, 2019, 03:18:27 PM »
Thanks Stefano!

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #338 on: September 14, 2019, 03:01:31 AM »
Antilife,

Im trying to learn how to make both Teglia and Pala. I am hand mixing, and am not exceeding 75% total hydration based on your recommendations for hand mixing.

I noticed, most of your fermentation seems to involve a long cold ferment component. Im looking to do these with minimal cold ferment (maybe overnight) but ideally, same day.

So I think these questions seem relevant for someone like me, who wants to do these same day or room temp.

1. What volume increase are you looking for in the bulk dough before dividing and shaping? Double? 50%? 20% to 30%? I feel like this might be a good way for someone like me to judge when to shape. For example, I think I shaped a batch too early last time and it flattened out in my trays.

2. What volume increase are you looking for in the dough ball before stretching? Double in size? As puffy as possible? Id imagine, the more air in the dough at this stage the more holes in the finished crust.

3. Finally, would these principles apply to both teglia and pala style pizzas, or do you look for different things in these doughs?

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #339 on: September 15, 2019, 09:29:49 AM »

Antilife,

Im trying to learn how to make both Teglia and Pala. I am hand mixing, and am not exceeding 75% total hydration based on your recommendations for hand mixing.

I noticed, most of your fermentation seems to involve a long cold ferment component. Im looking to do these with minimal cold ferment (maybe overnight) but ideally, same day.

So I think these questions seem relevant for someone like me, who wants to do these same day or room temp.

1. What volume increase are you looking for in the bulk dough before dividing and shaping? Double? 50%? 20% to 30%? I feel like this might be a good way for someone like me to judge when to shape. For example, I think I shaped a batch too early last time and it flattened out in my trays.

2. What volume increase are you looking for in the dough ball before stretching? Double in size? As puffy as possible? Id imagine, the more air in the dough at this stage the more holes in the finished crust.

3. Finally, would these principles apply to both teglia and pala style pizzas, or do you look for different things in these doughs?

1) 30 to 50%
2) as poofy as possible
3) doughs are really similar (big difference is rice flours). The baking make the difference between pala e teglia