A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Reverse engineering "the crunch" (pizzeria beddia)  (Read 25617 times)

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
Re: Reverse engineering "the crunch" (pizzeria beddia)
« Reply #200 on: May 17, 2019, 05:33:32 PM »
Sort of a chicken and egg thing going on here....super expensive..pizza made on screens. Until and unless the screens "go away", I see no reason to assume it was an off day...or that anything would be different.

This guy used to make 40 pizzas a day. Now they make 10 times that....it isn't like replicating Pepe's, which is replicating a high volume operation in another location. The Beddia thing is a fundamental change in the main attraction.

(And, though Pepe's is not my favorite place in New Haven (I find their crust like chewing cardboard, so I prefer Modern by a lot) their outposts do the same job. Of course, they aren't franchises, but branches owned by the family corporation and in the same region.)
Pretty much this, Portland's has SO MANY top notch pizza spots, the competition is insane. Portland has to have the best pizza spot in the country in terms of quality shops, seems like that area doesn't take mediocre as an answer.

8 pizzas an hour is kinda slow imo, when I worked for mellow mushroom pretty sure I did maybe 160 on good day, and even more on a slammed day. You have to learn how to make good pizza at a blistering pace, maybe Beddia was put off by that. Or maybe he couldn't cope with it, maybe his workers couldn't keep up, who knows.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #201 on: May 18, 2019, 04:06:39 AM »
Hey MR,

How did we get from New Haven to Portland?  :)

Sounds like a good road trip, though.. ;) 

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #202 on: May 18, 2019, 07:25:49 AM »
Just me Inferring, who knows for real unless I'm out their live to try it all.

Offline Joe1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #203 on: May 18, 2019, 09:22:03 AM »
Hi ,

Does using a pizza screen really effect the crust that much ? I see more and more pizza places use it and I never understood why .. good points on above post about using the screen to have uniform rounds and can move around the oven easy . Does the pizza taste at all
like his old place .. I even saw a pic where (new place )it looks like an assembly line . Looked like a man on dough mold bowl with flour in in ( never saw this before ), then somebody puts on screen then sauce ect. Iíll post pic of that bowl / mold . Does anybody know what that is and whatís it for ? Thanks Joe

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #204 on: May 18, 2019, 09:36:05 AM »
Hi ,

Does using a pizza screen really effect the crust that much ? I see more and more pizza places use it and I never understood why .. good points on above post about using the screen to have uniform rounds and can move around the oven easy . Does the pizza taste at all
like his old place .. I even saw a pic where (new place )it looks like an assembly line . Looked like a man on dough mold bowl with flour in in ( never saw this before ), then somebody puts on screen then sauce ect. Iíll post pic of that bowl / mold . Does anybody know what that is and whatís it for ? Thanks Joe

Joe,

Am not sure if a pizza screen can really effect the crust that much.  Tried different pizza screens that were made by someone in NYC (mesh ones).  Didn't really get to season them enough to be able to tell if they made a difference and didn't get to try them enough to see what would happen.  When I tried them they didn't quite brown the bottoms enough and the bottom crusts weren't as crisp.  Saw that short video where the what looks like a mold is used to form the dough to where it looks round, then the other pizza men go from there in to sauce and put the rest of the toppings on a screen.  At the moment while looking at those short clips PizzaCamp posts on Instagram couldn't really tell if that mold was just to get the pizza round and the bottom pressed out right or not.  Also Joe's newer ovens might be what is making a difference if there is a difference.

Haven't been the Joe's new pizzeria so really can tell if his pizzas are the same or not, but they do look crispy on the rim crusts. 

Norma

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #205 on: May 18, 2019, 09:53:13 AM »
Norma,
The pies at Beddia are definitely crispy.
The pies go into the oven on the screen, but the screens are pulled once the pie firms up.

Perry

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #206 on: May 18, 2019, 09:57:45 AM »
Hi ,

Depends on the style, NY style on a screen is perfectly fine imo, many prefer the texture to stone bake.

However if you're an "Artisanal" pizzeria and you use a screen, that defeats the whole purpose. You loose oven spring with a screen, thus that light, airy, porous, crunchy rim/outer crust is gone. The crust becomes chewy and dense, also the crust looks, worse overall.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #207 on: May 18, 2019, 10:14:24 AM »
Norma,
The pies at Beddia are definitely crispy.
The pies go into the oven on the screen, but the screens are pulled once the pie firms up.

Perry

Perry,

Thanks!  I saw the pies go into the oven on the screens and they are pulled once the pie firms up.  Are they still as crispy on the bottom crusts?

Norma

Offline beaunehead

« Reply #208 on: May 18, 2019, 10:14:38 AM »
In the case at Beddia....they get the top crunch/char the same...but the bottom is like a chain pizza....with the markins of the screen very visible ..and the crunch on the bottom non-existent. And, charge $25+ for a pie with any topping....

a HUGE compromise for uniformity and expedience in cranking them out.

Stuart

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #209 on: May 18, 2019, 10:28:06 AM »
Depends on the style, NY style on a screen is perfectly fine imo, many prefer the texture to stone bake.

However if you're an "Artisanal" pizzeria and you use a screen, that defeats the whole purpose. You loose oven spring with a screen, thus that light, airy, porous, crunchy rim/outer crust is gone. The crust becomes chewy and dense, also the crust looks, worse overall.

MR,

Thanks for your opinion's!  :)

Not sure if the screens affect the rim rise too much or not, but didn't seem to when I tried Mesh cloth screens at Reply 3504 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30641.msg554087#msg554087  The bottom outer edge on some of the rim crust was too light though, while other places it was ok.

Norma

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #210 on: May 18, 2019, 10:39:40 AM »
In the case at Beddia....they get the top crunch/char the same...but the bottom is like a chain pizza....with the markins of the screen very visible ..and the crunch on the bottom non-existent. And, charge $25+ for a pie with any topping....

case in point

Offline jsaras

« Reply #211 on: May 18, 2019, 11:02:49 AM »

Vitoís in Los Angeles starts their pizzas on the deck and move them to screens later in the bake.  The end result is even and excellent. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #212 on: May 18, 2019, 01:03:37 PM »
A lot of my problems with pizza screens was getting too crunchy of a pizza.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #213 on: May 18, 2019, 03:43:44 PM »
Perry,

Thanks!  I saw the pies go into the oven on the screens and they are pulled once the pie firms up.  Are they still as crispy on the bottom crusts?

Norma

Norma,

I do agree that the aesthetics of the bottom of the pie is consistent with a commercial pie, due to the #creen, but my memory is of a slightly crunchy (not soft) bottom.

I plan to go again this week, so Iíll take note of the  crunchiness .

Perry

Offline Joe1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #214 on: May 20, 2019, 08:47:56 AM »
Thanks Norma  :) :) and that new pizza you are doing looks amazing ..the one where you put slices of cheese on it. Have a great day . Joe

Offline Georgev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #215 on: May 20, 2019, 10:45:44 AM »
Went to beddia 2.0 this past week. Never had a chance to try his first spot but from what I heard pizza shaxamaxon is very similar to beddia 1.0. But on to 2.0 the place is absolutely beautiful his salads wine and deserts are great. But was not to impressed with the pizza. It was good but being a pizza operator myself I hate when pizza is baked on a screen. It was more on the soft chewy side not much crunch to be honest. The screen gets rid of that great oven spring.  Although I talked to joe for a minute he loves his new ovens but I got a vibe from him that he misses his old ones. But I think that has more to do with the fact that he used to make his own pies. I doubt he ever cooked a pizza on a screen in his old ovens to compare. Joe is a great humble guy and I still recommend his spot.

Offline beaunehead

« Reply #216 on: May 20, 2019, 02:15:19 PM »
Hey MR,

How did we get from New Haven to Portland?  :)

Sounds like a good road trip, though.. ;)

JP: (I'm one, NJ, too)....it's easy to get from New Haven to Portland.....right up 95. In fact, I'll be going that way Thursday....in fact...Phila-New Haven (lunch at Modern, my fav in NH)...then onto Portland and up the coast for the weekend. Portland is a great city...the lobster is better than Joisey's....the pies there, though...not as good as Delorenzo's or even Federici's in Freehold...

;)
Stuart

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #217 on: May 20, 2019, 07:12:06 PM »
Been to Marcello's in Bordentown? Worth hitting..pretty great coal oven pies.

New Haven to Portland, LOL...Lobster sounds good...heading to Maine later this summer.  From there, to get to the Portland with pizza , make a sharp left turn and go straight for 3000 miles :-D

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #218 on: May 20, 2019, 09:09:46 PM »
Just returned from another great evening at Beddia 2.0
I have to tell you that the bottom of the pie was certainly crispy, with a crunch I could feel and hear with each and every bite.

Perry

Offline beaunehead

« Reply #219 on: May 21, 2019, 05:31:15 PM »
Been to Marcello's in Bordentown? Worth hitting..pretty great coal oven pies.

New Haven to Portland, LOL...Lobster sounds good...heading to Maine later this summer.  From there, to get to the Portland with pizza , make a sharp left turn and go straight for 3000 miles :-D

I love it when people from "out there" call it "Portland", as if there is only one. :P
Stuart