A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Don Antonio. New York  (Read 5310 times)

Offline chriscar

Re: Don Antonio. New York
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 11:22:44 AM »
Matt,

Thanks for the link. By the way, would you have any insight on how to get replicate the texture of the sausage? Maybe it's pre-cooked, and has the fat skimmed off. I put the sausage on raw, and my Blackstone has enough heat to cook it through, but it's more like clumps of sausage. [Edit] Never mind, I just read the recipe.  :-[

Off topic - Where are you on Long Island? I was born and raised there, lived in Ronkonkoma for the last 20 or so years, and moved to Dallas 4 years ago.

Cheers!
Chris
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 03:02:06 PM by chriscar »
Cogito Ergo Zoom!

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 06:30:44 PM »
Matt,

Thanks for the link. By the way, would you have any insight on how to get replicate the texture of the sausage? Maybe it's pre-cooked, and has the fat skimmed off. I put the sausage on raw, and my Blackstone has enough heat to cook it through, but it's more like clumps of sausage. [Edit] Never mind, I just read the recipe.  :-[

Off topic - Where are you on Long Island? I was born and raised there, lived in Ronkonkoma for the last 20 or so years, and moved to Dallas 4 years ago.

Cheers!
Chris

Yeah, I remember the sausage being dry and crumbly. I'm sure there's a reason why they do it that way, but I'd be interested in trying it a little less cooked.

I'm in Nassau county, towards the north shore. Been here for 4 years, was in Queens before that.

Matt

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 02:58:27 PM »
Yeah, I remember the sausage being dry and crumbly. I'm sure there's a reason why they do it that way, but I'd be interested in trying it a little less cooked.

I'm in Nassau county, towards the north shore. Been here for 4 years, was in Queens before that.

I'm originally from Plainview.  My parents were from Queens.
John

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2019, 08:26:09 PM »
Another nice lunch. I really like this place (it's still the only neo pizza I've had). Some Ricotta on the top one.
Matt

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2019, 02:29:55 AM »
Another nice lunch. I really like this place (it's still the only neo pizza I've had). Some Ricotta on the top one.

That looks better than what I had.  There was almost zero char.
John

Offline morrissey

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2019, 01:14:25 PM »
I am going there tomorrow, any suggestions on what pie to order. It will be me solo. I am thinking the Montanarra but open to suggestions. Full disclosure: I am going to Scarrs downtown after, so I need to save some room.

tomorrow is my last day of living in NYC after 15 years. I plan on eating pizza 3 times, Don Antonio, Scarr's and then L&B with the family.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2019, 02:31:12 PM »
IMHO, their fried pizza is very good. I'd go with the Montanara too. Too bad you don't have time for Song E Napule!
Hans

Offline communist

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2019, 06:45:49 PM »
Time for me to revisit NY and Don Antonio's.  When you leave NY, you will find yourself returning for the pizza.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2019, 08:19:26 PM »
I wasnt a fan of the fried pizza. I'd recommend margherita+1 topping (mushrooms or meat) and the pistachio pesto pie.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 08:21:19 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2019, 09:08:44 AM »
I am going there tomorrow, any suggestions on what pie to order. It will be me solo. I am thinking the Montanarra but open to suggestions. Full disclosure: I am going to Scarrs downtown after, so I need to save some room.

tomorrow is my last day of living in NYC after 15 years. I plan on eating pizza 3 times, Don Antonio, Scarr's and then L&B with the family.

Id probably plan my last bagel too. and Chinese food. We lived in Brooklyn for 10 years and then moved to suburbs in northern westchester, 20 miles away from the city and theres not one good Chinese restaurant or bagel in the whole county.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2019, 09:11:01 AM »
My last meal in the city would be NS1 at Xi'an Famous Foods!
Hans

Online scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2019, 12:47:33 PM »
Hitting NY in a month... Hans, this will be my first meal when I get there, thx for the heads up. 

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2020, 11:12:41 PM »
First time trying their calzone. Was right in my wheelhouse.

Matt

Offline communist

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2020, 05:12:24 PM »
Wow Matt, you are living big!  Got to get out to the city soon for Don Antonio's  Mark

Offline Stichus III

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2020, 08:48:28 AM »
I wasnt a fan of the fried pizza. I'd recommend margherita+1 topping (mushrooms or meat) and the pistachio pesto pie.

I tried the Montanara once and did not like it either. The dough had a little bit of a doughnut quality to it. The smoked mozzarella was also not to my liking.   

The Margherita on the other hand is excellent.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 08:51:30 AM by Stichus III »

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2020, 07:46:25 PM »
Count me in the camp that loves the montanara - my favorite pie there. I used to love Keste until Roberto started pushing the Caputo Tipo 1 flour. I actually think there is more Tipo 1 than 00. I definitely noticed in the recent pie I had there. It was like bad whole-wheat pizza. I was so disappointed... heard he dropped the ratio a bit. Those pies look nice.

First time trying their calzone. Was right in my wheelhouse.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2020, 08:15:36 PM »
The dough had a little bit of a doughnut quality to it.
That was my thought too. Like a beignet.  I wanted some powdered sugar for the bones.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

wordpress