A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Elements of Pizza  (Read 8565 times)

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
Elements of Pizza
« on: February 23, 2016, 07:42:17 PM »
Amazon knows I am  a pizza nut so today they presented me with the chance to pre-order the new book by Ken Forkish: Elements of Pizza. He is the author of Flour, Water, Salt Yeast, which is a really good book about making bread, and also pizza. But mostly its about bread.  So this new book focuses on Pizza.  He makes pretty awesome pizza at Ken's in Portland.  So of course I bit and pre-ordered the book.  It comes out on April 16. I'll post something about it when it arrives. 

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
Re: Elements of Pizza
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 08:01:58 PM »
Very cool.   Looking forward to your review of the book.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 08:31:23 PM »
Very cool.   Looking forward to your review of the book.

^^^ Me Too!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 09:31:45 PM »
Thanks, I just preordered. If it's half as good as his first book it will be worth getting.
Hans

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 09:34:57 PM »
Same here. 

Although I like the bread information, instructionals, recipes, etc in the book a lot, I was not thrilled with his pizza recipes in the FWSY book. 

- Very high hydration (70% or more). 
- Resting dough balls in flour while in the fridge.
- Caputo 00 for the home oven (I think he said in the book that he bakes at 700 in his WFO)

I think his pizza place has a very good reputation so I look forward to the book - just a little guarded.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 11:13:31 PM »
Do you think there will be information in there that this community is not aware of?
the proof is in the pizza

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 12:25:05 AM »
Do you think there will be information in there that this community is not aware of?

Probably not. The sum of knowledge here is probably much greater than any one author's knowledge about pizza. But it will still be great fun to read and see beautiful pictures of pizza!

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 05:02:48 PM »
I'm getting impatient here. For some reason I thought April 16th passed.  Must be because I filed my taxes.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 04:37:11 PM »
My pre-order delivery date was 4/19.

I'll see mine tomorrow.
Practice makes pizza

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 09:02:35 PM »
The Intro and first few chapters are good.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:13:32 PM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 12:40:38 AM »
Written in a very approachable style and easy to understand. Actually explains why things work and rationale behind ingredients and equipment. Love it so far. Although, I am disappointed with the lack of a Detroit recipe, otherwise, awesome!

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 11:03:25 AM »
I picked up a few nuggets, but IMHO it's just another book for home pizza makers. I dig how he makes it clear that you don't need a mixer.

pm.com is a more valuable resource for any pizza making endeavor.
Practice makes pizza

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 07:36:33 PM »
I just received my copy.  He's still promoting the use of 00 flour in home ovens 

Nearly every dough formulation in the book has a hydration of 70% or higher.  What else would one expect from someone who is really bread maker? The salt levels also run on the high side as well.

I'm sure it'll be a good read, just as "Flour, Water, Yeast" was, but I think that Tony Gemignani's formulations are derived from his knowledge of pizzamaking craft wheras Forkish's formulations inescapably reflect his background as a breadmaker. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 07:49:06 PM »
I just received my copy.  He's still promoting the use of 00 flour in home ovens 

I have FWSY and like it a lot. But, the 00 thing for home ovens never made any sense to me.

This past week, I was reading through the book again and found that he said: “At my bakery and pizzeria, we use Shepherd’s Grain Low-Gluten flour as our white flour for breads and pizza dough ”  This flour is malted AP (I bought some a couple of weeks ago and am beginning to use it.  So far, so good but I have not yet tried pizza).

So, he uses the Shepherd's Grain in his pizzeria but recommends Caputo 00 for home cooks using his cookbook.  ???
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline ptix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 06:51:47 PM »
A question from someone who is a novice - why is it not good to use 00 flour with a home oven ?

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 07:31:38 PM »
A question from someone who is a novice - why is it not good to use 00 flour with a home oven ?

00 is not malted.  Malted barley provides enzymes to the flour. The enzymes help to convert starches to sugars that feed the yeast.  The sugars also help to brown the crust.  At higher temps (like a wood fired oven) the additional sugars can cause problems with over browning (burnt crusts).  At lower temps (like a home oven) the lack of additional sugars provided by the malt will inhibit browning (pale crusts).

That is a pretty simplistic explanation, but I hope you get the idea!  As an aside, quality beers contain a lot of malted barely.  More sugars, more alcohol!

Offline jaywillie

• Yumm, pizza.
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 08:21:06 PM »
Ken Forkish was on a local PBS show today (April 21, 2016) here in Oregon. He spoke for nearly 25 minutes about pizza in general, as well as his restaurants and this cookbook. No great revelations and certainly no great detail, but some of it is interesting. The best pizza, the best pizzaiolo? Franco Pepe at Pepe in Grani, in Italy.

http://www.opb.org/radio/programs/thinkoutloud/segment/surrogacy-questioning-travel-bans-pizza/

Scroll down on that webpage to see the segment with Forkish. You don't have to listen to the entire show.
A day without pizza is like a day without pizza.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 10:09:22 PM »
Thanks for the tip, jaywillie. I'll give it a listen. I'm just sitting down with my copy of the book. Looking forward to reading it.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 10:26:03 PM »
bought the book lots of good information and pictures. have not had time for the recipes. being impatient and out of town when the book arrived i purchased the kindle version. you loose a lot when viewing a cook book via kindle.

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 10:55:29 PM »
Larry, I hope you are in NYC for the opening of Emmy Squared.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 09:31:12 AM by HBolte »
Hans

wordpress