A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Elements of Pizza  (Read 8576 times)

Offline Neopolitan

• Pizza, Pasta Birra e Basta!
Re: Elements of Pizza
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2016, 06:49:33 AM »
I really enjoy this book!

The author discovered in his research that he aproached pizza dough from his bread baking expierence.
He shows a respect to tradions like Napels VPN Rome's tonda and al taglio and the new world pie traditons.
But he keeps a open mind towards adapting recipes for home use or developing your own.

The book is really a nice read, not just a plain recipe book.
I have not tried the recipes yet. Except for triyng the direct balling after the first fermentation. That he describes as a Neapolitan method.

Only on the home oven aproach i find the advice honest but wanting. Since he advices to place a pizza steel 8 inch under the broiler. And 45 minutes of preheating
This is way to low. And hence this method produces pizze that are baked for long periods.

Case

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2016, 08:39:35 AM »
Hi Case,

Re pizza steel..if he's talking about 1/2 steel, I agree with you. But for the 1/4 steel, 45 minute  is pretty perfect

By the way, I've IR'd me 1/2 in steel, which is not Baking Steel brand but locally made, and my readings show that anything over 75 minutes preheat is unnecessary. I was maxed right there in my oven   A reading at 90 minutes was identical
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 09:01:21 AM by Jersey Pie Boy »

Offline brndnb

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2016, 01:02:43 AM »
Like others have said, the beginning of the book is a good read. But similar to FWSY, I'm not impressed with the dough recipes in the book.

I also stopped in at Ken's Artisan Pizza (one of the author's restaurants) in Portland a couple of weeks ago, and even though there was a line of people waiting before the place had even opened, I found the Margherita pizza to be okay, but nothing special. Granted, the week prior I had been in San Francisco at Tony's Pizza Napoletana (The Pizza Bible author's restaurant) and had the most amazing Margherita pizza I've ever tasted.

P.S. I'm new here, but I guess I'm one of those crazies that prefers Caputo 00 in my home oven with baking steels and broiler (or stovetop and heat gun). With some dry malt diastatic powder, the crust browns beautifully under the broiler or heat gun and I prefer the taste and texture over any other flour or flour blend that I've tried.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2016, 09:30:11 AM »
P.S. I'm new here, but I guess I'm one of those crazies that prefers Caputo 00 in my home oven with baking steels and broiler (or stovetop and heat gun). With some dry malt diastatic powder, the crust browns beautifully under the broiler or heat gun and I prefer the taste and texture over any other flour or flour blend that I've tried.

The operative words being "with some dry malt diastatic powder."
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Neopolitan

• Pizza, Pasta Birra e Basta!
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2016, 03:26:10 PM »
Hi Case,

Re pizza steel..if he's talking about 1/2 steel, I agree with you. But for the 1/4 steel, 45 minute  is pretty perfect

By the way, I've IR'd me 1/2 in steel, which is not Baking Steel brand but locally made, and my readings show that anything over 75 minutes preheat is unnecessary. I was maxed right there in my oven   A reading at 90 minutes was identical

Good point Indeed! I use a heavy 14 kg steelplate that needs to be charged with 90 minutes of 250 dgrees celsius.
This allows me to bake my Neopolitan attempts within Roman pizza Tonda times ::) (3 min.)
8 inch is way to low for the steelplate under the broiler!
Btw. I did not come up with these techniques by myself but long ago from ' Scott' The expert on the steelplate in a electricoven method.
I was also suprised about the steel plate methods suggested in "The Pizza Bible" by the otherwise exellent skilled author.
If you mastered "something" I does not mean you know "everything"!

Case

Case
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:32:12 PM by Neopolitan »

Offline petef

« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2016, 05:41:43 AM »
Yep, looks like someone missed a decimal point. Should be 3g IDY.

To me, it's inexcusable to have any such errors in the recipe ingredients. So, between this error and the recommended use of 100% 00 flour for the home oven baked pizza, I'm steering clear of this book.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2016, 07:04:20 AM »
Brndnb ,

What's your malt percent for 00 in home oven? I'd like to give this a try when I hibernate my BS for winter 

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2017, 12:26:17 PM »
I was wondering if any Elements of Pizza readers have tried Enzo's pizza dough yet? Percents are

Water 70%
Salt 2.6%
Yeast 0.02%
Flour 100%

The recipe seems very interesting, using only 0.1g yeast (0.02%) for 500g flour and 10 hour fermentation at 70F. The timing seems short if you go by TxCraig's fermentation chart https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26831.msg349349.html#msg349349

Craig's chart predicts 21-28 hours instead of 10. I'd highly appreciate if you could share your experiences and whether or not you think this recipe makes sense?

Thanks,

Alex

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2017, 03:44:26 PM »
In case anyone is interested, I have now tried Enzo's dough per Elements of Pizza. Ken's mixing instructions are very good and the dough was very easy to put together even with 100% hand mixing. However, as I predicted, even observing all recommended temperatures for the water and the room, it took 17 hours at 70F to mature instead of the 10 hours in the book and the result was nothing special. The oven spring was good, but the flavor was lacking.

I found the dough flavor to be similar to what you get in Pizzeria Delfina in SF bay area - slightly sweet with thin crisp edges but without any complexity.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 03:46:12 PM by DoouBall »