A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island  (Read 55758 times)

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • One day . . a really Good Pizza!
Pizza Party on Gabriola Island
« on: February 28, 2016, 08:50:08 PM »
Thank You!

I just wanted to take a moment to thank all those who post here, especially Gsans, Omid, Craig, Schold, Don Luigi to name a few. I have learned so much more after discovering Pizzamaking.com, it is a tremendous resource.

No, I am not "There" yet and likely will never be content with the results but I have made enough strides now to say I am pleased with the progress. I have gone from a stone in the oven, to a Bakerstone Box and now after following Don Luigi, have purchased and am learning to work with fire with a Pizza Party 70x70. Great fun, and great results.

Below are some of the results from Last Night. Yes, you can tell me they are under fermented, over fermented, too dark, to much/little leopard spotting, wrong % of culture or yeast or any number of suggestions, help or criticism and I will counter with I am having a ball, learning lots and seeing so many things I want to improve but the last picture shows where I started.

Along the way, I have:

- built a pizza on the peel only to find the peel was too large for the mouth of the Bakerstone Box, causing an impressive stuffing of a pizza into the mouth of the oven, then running to the bandsaw to resize the peel and racing back to turn and withdraw it.

- tried to turn a hot pie in the oven with a makeshift Pallino, spearing through the crust, making a large pool of cheese and toppings to spread across the oven

- launched with such gusto that the pie folded and dropped after hitting the back wall of the Bakerstone cementing it in place

- tried the build on the bancone and drag onto the peel, only to find I had forgotten to flour the peel, creating an all new type of calzone as I tried to shake and scrape it off

- cooked baked Alaskas in the Pizza Party oven!

There will be others I am sure but these are some favourite reminders of progress and foibles.

Thank you all!

Offline live4u

• Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa
Re: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 10:25:41 PM »
Those are some excellent pies. Your journey is really good too :D I will take on those pies compared to what I am gettind.

Offline sub

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 04:28:57 AM »
Hi Icelandr,

The margharita in the first picture looks delicious.

To improve the topping you can crumble the parmigiano with your hand before using it, and cut the mozzarella into 1cm large matchsticks for a better melting with tomato.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 09:01:38 AM »
 ^^^ looking good.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 10:41:04 AM »
Fantastic! That first Margharita looks awesome! Honoured to have inspired you...:-)
On a neapolitan pizza journey with Wood fired oven Pizza Party 70x70
My Pizza

Offline schold

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 03:26:42 PM »
Except for the pie with the chives and the last pizza, which don't look good at all, I think you should be happy with your progress. Please note that I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just brutally honest in expressing my personal views. The first margherita could really have been quite the looker if the mozzarella pieces had been smaller and the parmesan had been grated differently. I prefer it finely grated or in flakes.

I look forward to seeing more  :)
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 04:10:39 PM »
Thanks  Schold, I am used to your honest comments, but want to make sure you read the text in the first post - that last pizza was actually my very first attempt well over a year ago, meant to show some progress and to give a chance to laugh, as were the failures mentioned.

Cheers

Offline schold

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 04:20:39 PM »
You are right, I missed that. Mea culpa. That means all the more reason to be pleased with the progress thus far.
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline NYYC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 03:04:54 AM »
Gabriola! I'll be out there visiting my parents next weekend. Small world. Beautiful pies.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 12:19:28 AM »
A question, if I may . . .
I am about to modify a second aluminum peel to become my Palino or turning peel and before attacking with my jig saw ask for suggestions. After some research here seems to be preference for an 8" diameter peel head for turning . . .  What do you use? The peels were inexpensive - wood handles and aluminum peel but a smaller turning peel was much more so I decided to  buy two and modify . . . But I only get one shot at it.

Do you use something like this -
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 12:23:59 AM by Icelandr »

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 10:47:36 AM »
The guests have arrived, the dough has been working for 24 hours, the fire is hot. First opening seems a bit less extensible but it's supper . . .  Carry on. I've chosen thus far to use ADY, in my mind it cuts one more variable at this point in my pizza making, when the consistency of product improves I will try other solutions. I think this time the dough just needed more time, though it was supposed to be the same as the last bake.

Margherita (crumbled Parmesan, cut mozzarella)
Pancetta, salami, mozzarella, smoked caciocovallo
White sauce,Italian sausage, roasted pepper strips,mozzarella, Taleggio
Caprese

The Pizza Party oven worked beautifully - perhaps far more consistently than the operator. Floor temp between 485-520C, flames rolling across the top. Pizzas rose beautifully but cornichone denser than it should have been.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 10:54:35 AM »
Excellent work - if I ever have to get stranded on an island - I hope it is Gabriola Island  :drool:
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG, Baker's Pride M02T 220V, PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 03:56:04 PM »
The pizzas shown tasted good but not where I want them to be in terms of softness or lightness in the cornichone. Perhaps after looking at the ingredients and methods you could suggest some improvements?

Salt 2%, yeast .02%, water 62%, bulk 12 [email protected] 21, balls in box [email protected].

The dough was mixed appx 10 minutes, stretch and fold 4x rest 10 minutes, repeat, rest and ferment in bulk under Saran on bench for 12 hr.

Thanks in advance . . .

Offline sub

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 04:11:03 AM »
The pizzas shown tasted good but not where I want them to be in terms of softness or lightness in the cornichone. Perhaps after looking at the ingredients and methods you could suggest some improvements?

Raise the hydration to at least 65%
Incorporating Ingredients, let the dough rest 30 to 60 minutes and then knead.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 10:19:35 AM »
Thank you once again Sub!
I have shied away from 65% hydration, having some time ago tried the higher hydration and found my skills and hands were not yet ready. I have both more experience now and wooden dough boxes which make the dough, for me, more manageable. I will try it for the next batch.

For the mixing,you are suggesting an autolyse of 30-60 minutes, then the kneading and stretch and fold - is that correct?
I previously tried an autolyse as suggested by Gsans which I believe was all the water and 50% of the flour, but that was before I had a proper oven.

Offline sub

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 11:24:42 AM »
For the mixing,you are suggesting an autolyse of 30-60 minutes, then the kneading and stretch and fold - is that correct?

Yes It's correct.

Also, for the softness the baking time is a key element, your goal is a 60 seconds bake.

Offline schold

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 11:40:27 AM »
I would experiment with more salt (2.8 to 3%), more yeast, higher hydrations and shorter time in balls. The last point may be controversial, but from my experiments, I've come to the (tentative) conclusion that a dough which is too relaxed produces less oven spring and hence a less airy cornicione. I suggest balling the dough tight and giving it around six hours before baking.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 12:05:32 PM »
I believe the bakes are 60-90 seconds, though I must say things get a bit frantic after the pie goes in, so time measurement is at times forgotten. The centre of the pizza is soft and supple but the cornichone is more like soft undercooked bread, great yeast bouquet . . But.

Schold, thank you for the response. Odd, I have not tried increasing the salt fearing I would inhibit the yeast action, which I feel I need. I notice however that most on the board I follow have 2.5-2.8%, so I will try the increase. There appears so many ways to ferment dough, all seeming to be successful, I have chosen rt ferment and aimed at 24 hours after reading as much as I can. The fact it doesn't work particularly well for me, suggests I need to change once again. If I shorten the time in balls, I will have to increase the yeast to compensate for the shorter time . . .correct?
I am certain of the integrity of the balls . . . .

Dough today, experiment tomorrow . . . . .

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza Party on Gabriola Island
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 12:41:43 PM »
The most important point (by far I might add) in getting a soft cornicone with airy and light cloud-like texture is getting yeast (CY, SD, IDY), time and temperature into the perfect relationship. Always error on the side of over fermentation.
On a neapolitan pizza journey with Wood fired oven Pizza Party 70x70
My Pizza

Offline schold

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 07:15:47 AM »
There appears so many ways to ferment dough, all seeming to be successful, I have chosen rt ferment and aimed at 24 hours after reading as much as I can. The fact it doesn't work particularly well for me, suggests I need to change once again. If I shorten the time in balls, I will have to increase the yeast to compensate for the shorter time . . .correct?

I was not suggesting any changes to your fermentation regime (24h, rt), just the amount of time that the dough is balled. So, in other words, 18h in bulk, 6 in balls. Try it if you want, and see if you like it. If you do any of the changes discussed, you will very likely need to recalibrate the amount yeast used somewhat.

- Marco Pierre White