A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island  (Read 101543 times)

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
Re: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island
« Reply #1440 on: January 19, 2021, 01:08:25 PM »
5 years of success!
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saputo Floor

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • 5 years and closer to. . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #1441 on: January 19, 2021, 11:15:20 PM »
Jackitup, SK, thank you but you have to wonder where all the time went, and what challenges and directions come next. Just a realization, a stop for a moment and ponder . . .  .
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1442 on: January 23, 2021, 12:31:59 AM »
Post or not to post . . .
It is a steady plod, not, it appears, moments of brilliance, but small experiences that may help me along a path to a good pizza. THAT, was, is,  the reason for this thread. I don’t yet feel adept enough to answer questions but keep my pursuit going to try to make a better pizza . . . To my standards, we all have them . . .  I enjoy the planning, the changes, small now, and the attempts to improve appearance and flavour, but have not tasted many by others, so it is all a perceived standard.
Something to consider as you look once again at the pizza presented below . . .they are really just practice and for dinner. Dinner being skewed towards pizza once a week, which for two mid 70 oldies is a lot of food!
Look away, if you like, I am having fun and learning a bunch and trying to make the look, a bit of me.
  • The oven is ready, we have had great clear weather lately
  • Margherita, damn I dislike the cheese burning!
  • Finally some more Taleggio, allowing a favourite, Italian Sausage, mushrooms, Fior Di latte, Taleggio and for a little colour, red pepper
  • A white pizza, Fiore Di Latte, smoked mozzarella, Capicolli, red onion and a smattering of Blue cheese, very nice!

Offline crawsdaddy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1443 on: January 23, 2021, 12:09:28 PM »
"Dinner being skewed towards pizza once a week, which for two mid 70 oldies is a lot of food!"

You should make it for four mid-seventies because my wife and I are on the way. You can pick us up at the airport and should have one of these delicious looking pizzas to greet us. A nice Campania wine would be a bonus.

Dan
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 12:15:52 PM by crawsdaddy »

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1444 on: January 23, 2021, 01:34:59 PM »
Flying into or out of our countries looks a bit of a challenge at the moment, perhaps a future reservation?
The Pudding House awaits . . . stoneMeadow.ca
But I am not sure you are gaining anything pizza wise, the Crawsdaddy Pizza Emporium, looks to have some great pies

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1445 on: January 24, 2021, 11:26:31 PM »
I watched a bit of the AVN link for the Master class
Then you might really enjoy watching the Ciro Salvo segment on the free masterclass from AVPN that was just aired on Facebook. Starts about 3:10:00 in this video. It's for a 3-4h bulk and 7-8h balls all at room temp: https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=2892736234379642&ref=watch_permalink

And was again struck by my lack of languages and a bit choked that even though I couldn’t understand the language, I was peppered with advertising. I did get so far that I investigated the online course and found the cost to be 890 EU . . .THAT, I understood! Sorry, not on my list, my oven investment while not a real oven, I suppose was a significant amount and 5 years of wine as tuition has left me a bit short to be able to display the logo. If only I could understand Italian, I would of course be miles ahead! The videos available on YouTube seem superior, AND you can skip the ads.
This is not meant as a snipe to the post, but the screen clutter, ads and presentation when I really wanted to learn something aggravated me!

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1446 on: January 27, 2021, 09:41:11 PM »
As I was wandering Flipboard, I came across this article
https://www.lamag.com/digestblog/pizza-dough-guru-noel-brohner/
And found it an interesting read, in part because he was referred to as a dough doctor, a common incantation here . . .I need the dough doctor! Different dough doctor, but seems to have quite a following. I had a look at his on line classes as well but haven’t looked at the content or quality, though all looks a professional well planned site.  . . .   https://www.slowrisepizza.com/

No, I have no link to the site, just a find I thought worth sharing

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #1447 on: January 28, 2021, 01:44:56 PM »
I first saw Noel when he did the Pizza Zoom at the start of the pandemic.

I took the online, not in person Intermediate class. It was interesting in the sense that it gave me some ideas to keep in mid for dough management. In the intermediate class, none of the focus was on a traditional Neapolitan pizza like you make and it was IDY, not a starter. But it got into friction factor, and controlling dough temperature that kind of thing. Mixing order too. It was a delayed salt addition.

They do a handful of guest instructor classes. There is a wood fired one that could be good, but it's supposed to be really cold this weekend. I'm ok in the 20s if there isn't any wind, but low teens is no fun outside making pizza. The Bar Pie class with Adam Kuban looks good too. If you sign up for the newsletter/updates there are sometimes sales.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1448 on: January 28, 2021, 01:49:11 PM »
Thanks so much for the feedback, it sounds very positive. I haven’t yet decided to continue bumbling along or spend some time  with some instruction. The goal is just to make better pizza for two, I guess.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #1449 on: January 28, 2021, 02:45:02 PM »
I enjoyed it. That class was about 4 hours. The very end was just small talk. I watched it over two nights. I am curious about the advanced class but I think I would want a better mixer and more experience with starters before taking it.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1450 on: January 30, 2021, 01:29:58 PM »
It was supposed to be just food Pizza, but there are so many things to try!

The dough was hand kneaded again, hydration 70%, salt 2.8%, sourdough 5%, bulk 9 1/2 hours, ball 12 1/2 hours. For reasons not yet known the panel of elderly judges declared it a bit “tougher” to the tooth, though it looked and felt similar to previous . . . Sounds like another test coming up.

A couple of things tried. A new fresh Mozzarella that melted without browning, looked nice but seemed tough and “on” the pizza , not part of it. A new brand of San Mariano tomatoes available locally, Favuzzi is the brand. Nice flavour and consistency out of the can but lacking when served on Pizza, we changed back to 7/11 crushed for the next pizza. Temperatures were about 480° C
  • The Queen’s Request
  • Sharon’s Request - pepperoni, onion and Black Olive
  • Icelandr’s Request - Bacon and Tomato sandwich, the flesh from the San Marzano’s, bacon and onion, tasty but only 2 slices eaten as we were done.
  • The fire, ‘cause you just can’t have enough fire pics!

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1451 on: January 30, 2021, 11:27:54 PM »
Trying to improve my dough, I went back to my notes, this time a post by Fidel Montoya from this site . . . .  .

https://www.lucianopignataro.it/a/pizzeria-fratelli-salvo-impasto-e-impasto-ecco-le-sperimentazioni/63228/

https://www.scattidigusto.it/2014/06/06/pizza-ricetta-fratelli-salvo-san-giorgio-a-cremano/

While I certainly don’t want to open a business, a go to dough that works is intriguing

Oh, I used a translator app, so I could read

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #1452 on: January 31, 2021, 06:38:44 PM »

A couple of things tried. A new fresh Mozzarella that melted without browning, looked nice but seemed tough and “on” the pizza , not part of it.

A good cheese is my biggest problem.  Belgioioso does not brown but behaves just as you described.  On the pizza, not a part of it.  Other cheeses melt more but brown.  The right fior de latte that melds into the sauce is very elusive.
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saputo Floor

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1453 on: January 31, 2021, 07:54:42 PM »
As I look at what I can obtain nearby, it isn’t only the cheese that is a difficulty. I can still get Caputo Blue bag, but that is the only flour available, cheeses and tomatoes are more difficult. When we could make trips to Vancouver, just 17 miles by ferry, I could source a greater number of things from a large Italian food center but those days are gone for a while with Covid. Our Amazon.ca carries few foods so that doesn’t help. I would love to try some real cheese and San Mariano that actually tastes like tomato, not the tin.

Soon? I don’t think so!

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1454 on: February 02, 2021, 07:54:36 PM »
In my pursuit of hand mixing and having a shot at improving my dough, I am planning a few experiments where the goal is the experience not the food. Tomorrow is the first, but today I found this video and was quite impressed with the presentation of techniques, you may have seen it and I hope you both enjoyed and learned as I did

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1455 on: February 03, 2021, 06:27:31 PM »
Note to self . . . . Leave experiments to Arne!

Objective: effects of bulk ball ratio on fermentation of a known dough
I have been making the same dough for months now, varying the hydration but keeping all else the same. The bulk/ball ratio has been determined to a large extent by habit and age. I want a 24 hour dough, to eat at 7:00 and don’t stay up late so the timing has been pretty equal bulk to ball, each about 12 hours. Those are the only reasons so I decided to start at lunch with a 6 hour bulk and an 18 hour ball using my usual recipe

Error #1 using dough calculator I miss entered the ball weight, entering 140 grams instead of 240! All else followed suit.
Error #2 my sourdough decided to go rogue!

Dough was hand mixed and seemed very nice, odd it seems smaller, I thought. The mixed dough after stretch and folds was in Bulk for 6 hours, balled and left until the next mornings bake about 11:30. At 7:00 AM I walked out and found the pluviometer at 28! I also noticed my jar of sourdough was near the top as well. I decided to leave it and carry on, ignore the “Skyrocketing Pluviometer” and let it go to full term . . . What could go wrong?
At bake, the pluviometer was at 38, hydration 70%, salt 2.8%, sourdough as usual 5%, bulk 6 hours, ball 18 hours @21° (variation less than 1°) ball size was 190 grams as above.

Surprisingly the dough was good, lots of air easy to handle and stretch out but as below, white in appearance likely due to sugars being consumed. Texture was good, soft, delicate good cornichone with some bounce and softness.

I should now be able to make my dough at night, bulk for 3 hours before crashing old guy early and bake at the usual time. I will try it in the next couple of days but it will not be deemed an experiment!
  • The Skyrocketing Pluviometer, in case you have never seen one so high
  • Quick Margherita #1
  • Quick margherita#2

Offline Arne_Jervell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1456 on: February 07, 2021, 08:58:05 AM »
In my pursuit of hand mixing and having a shot at improving my dough, I am planning a few experiments where the goal is the experience not the food. Tomorrow is the first, but today I found this video and was quite impressed with the presentation of techniques, you may have seen it and I hope you both enjoyed and learned as I did

Very nice video, I both enjoyed and learned. I'm gearing up mentally for summer time and will keep this in my "inspiration" bucket.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1457 on: February 07, 2021, 09:03:43 AM »
At bake, the pluviometer was at 38, hydration 70%, salt 2.8%, sourdough as usual 5%, bulk 6 hours, ball 18 hours @21° (variation less than 1°) ball size was 190 grams as above.

Surprisingly the dough was good, lots of air easy to handle and stretch out but as below, white in appearance likely due to sugars being consumed. Texture was good, soft, delicate good cornichone with some bounce and softness.

I'm thoroughly impressed. A 70% dough that expanded about 2.4x over the course of 24 hours at room temp ends up "good" and "easy to handle". This can only be possible with great dough making skills. Well done, Greg.

Please do not leave experimentation to Arne!!! :-D

Looking forward to the next installment.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1458 on: February 07, 2021, 01:38:25 PM »
Another experiment, but I guess they all are . . .

After the last fiasco with the Skyrocketing Pluviometer I tried less sourdough and even more time in balls. I started the dough at my usual 5:30, let it rest in bulk for about 4 hours and balled the dough before crashing for the night.

Hydration 70%, salt 2.8%, sourdough 4.8%, 4 hours in bulk, about 20 hours in ball all at 21°C

The balls were flat in the morning, a product of my developing the gluten not well enough or not enough time in Bulk? That is the question? Nature or nurture? The dough opened very well, air in the cornichone and puff upon baking, easier to open than usual (if that’s possible here) the dough was soft and flavourful but light in colour likely due this time to baking white pies . . .or do you have ideas? A take out for my neighbour and a planned and anticipated attempt again at the Rosa, Chris Biaco’s invention. I was really looking forward to it, had my printed copy of the the Eater article for help
(https://www.eater.com/2013/8/28/6383483/eater-elements-chris-bianco-on-his-pizza-rosa)
and ready to go. You know what’s coming, one spot stuck on the oven floor and none of my incantations or thrust and parry with the peel would save it. In pieces it tasted great, but burned or under cooked because turning was no longer an option!
  • A bit early for National Pancake Day
  • The Takeout - Quattro Formaggi, mozzarella, Asiago, smoked mozzarella Gran Padano, ham
  • Quattro Formaggi with a little Icelandr colour
  • A very Sad Rosa
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 01:42:02 PM by Icelandr »

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1459 on: February 07, 2021, 02:20:27 PM »
Good looking pizza!!!
I like the andiron.
Doesn't look like the one PP gives with the ovens, where did you get it ?
Bruce here... My toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill