A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island  (Read 71923 times)

Online Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • 5 years and closer to. . a really Good Pizza!
Re: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2016, 09:43:53 AM »
Thanks Schold - the dough and its changes are in bulk at the moment, tonight we will check the results. There are many variables as you well know, changing more than one or two at one time didn't make sense, I would not know what caused any changes. This time I increased the salt and the yeast . . .  We shall see tonight.
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2016, 10:07:50 PM »
Any Up Skirt / Bottom shots of these beauties from the pizza party ?
Thanks!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfire.net

Online Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 01:13:41 AM »
A definite improvement! Thanks to the encouragement and suggestions of Sub, Don Luigi, Schold, the results are much better, and like all of us/ you on Pizzamaking that doesn't mean there will no more changes. It just means the changes will be better defined.

I increased both the salt and the yeast - confusing perhaps as in my mind as I thought salt controlled or slowed the fermentation - you may recall I failed chemistry . .  .twice!

Here was the % and fermentation - salt 2.7%, yeast (ADY) .05% , water 64%. Bulk 12 hrs @ 20C, balls 10.5 hours 20C. The dough in wood dough boxes was easier to work with, though obviously more "full of air" than previous. The last ball pictured below, was scary in the activity, it was an extra so was sacrificed to the oven with the hope of producing a small loaf of bread . . . .one problem at a time!

An evening of favourites - Margherita: Italian sausage, mushroom fior de Latte and Taleggio: Capicolli, fior de latte, sweet onion and black olives

Temperatures were highest with first bake, a 63 sec bake, the next showed lack of attention, 1 minute 39 sec at 519 floor, 2 min 5 sec with 491 floor . . . OK there was some wine involved!

A good session, - Thanks

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2016, 05:51:55 AM »
Very beautiful!
On a neapolitan pizza journey with Wood fired oven Pizza Party 70x70
My Pizza

Offline sub

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2016, 06:40:20 AM »
I increased both the salt and the yeast - confusing perhaps as in my mind as I thought salt controlled or slowed the fermentation - you may recall I failed chemistry . .  .twice!

Salt slow the fermentation, strengthens, tightens and compacts the gluten protein network, too much salt will gives you a rubbery cornicione.

look at page 19
https://books.google.be/books?id=FQvkBwAAQBAJ&pg=PA23&lpg=PA23&dq=calvel+salt&source=bl&ots=p6oKMCWnuM&sig=5JeFfn67gwK5LwYQIkGYSClad7c&hl=fr&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0ttjSuL3LAhWCig8KHeyzCbcQ6AEIIzAA#v=onepage&q=salt&f=false

Offline schold

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2016, 03:30:17 PM »
look at page 19
https://books.google.be/books?id=FQvkBwAAQBAJ&pg=PA23&lpg=PA23&dq=calvel+salt&source=bl&ots=p6oKMCWnuM&sig=5JeFfn67gwK5LwYQIkGYSClad7c&hl=fr&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0ttjSuL3LAhWCig8KHeyzCbcQ6AEIIzAA#v=onepage&q=salt&f=false

"Having understood salt's role as an antioxidant, too many bakers since the 1960's have adopted the practice of delaying the addition of fine table salt - wich dissolves quickly - until 5 minutes before the end of mixing. This is done with the intensive mixing method in order to encourage the maximum levels of oxidation and bleaching".

NaCl as an antioxidant? How is that supposed to work? And, anyway, why would one want maximum levels of oxidation and bleaching?
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2016, 05:23:58 PM »
"Having understood salt's role as an antioxidant, too many bakers since the 1960's have adopted the practice of delaying the addition of fine table salt - wich dissolves quickly - until 5 minutes before the end of mixing. This is done with the intensive mixing method in order to encourage the maximum levels of oxidation and bleaching".

NaCl as an antioxidant? How is that supposed to work? And, anyway, why would one want maximum levels of oxidation and bleaching?
schold,

You might take a look at Item 4 of Reply 1 at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=15453.msg152196#msg152196,

and Reply 7 at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9514.msg82448;topicseen#msg82448,

and Reply 442 at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=19129.msg193668#msg193668

Peter

Online Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2016, 08:12:58 PM »
Thank you for the links Peter, of the four ingredients in my pizza dough it was always the last I worried about. Water, too was up there until Tony G suggested when answering a question, that perhaps I have water with very little hardness - as it turns out all our water is roof collected rainwater, so I now use bottled water.

Cheers

Offline SAUZER.ITALY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2016, 11:58:14 AM »
Very nice pizza  :pizza:

Offline schold

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2016, 12:18:49 PM »
Yes, thanks for the links, but unfortunately, they all left me none the wiser.
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2016, 02:53:17 PM »
Yes, thanks for the links, but unfortunately, they all left me none the wiser.
schold,

I think I understand what you are saying. Maybe there are cases where someone wants a dough to have little color and be whiter. For example, a 00 flour is not bleached, at least by the use of chemicals as is the common practice in the U.S. to bleach flours. But if someone wants an even whiter 00 flour and dough, adding the salt last, along with intensive mixing, should have the effect of bleaching the flour and dough even more. In the bread making world, it is more desirable to retain the carotenoids since they affect the color, aroma and texture of the finished bread.

Peter

Online Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2016, 04:33:25 PM »
Thank you Sauzer!

Online Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2016, 11:57:03 PM »
It worked!

OK there will always be some challenges but I have never tried 66% hydration, but after reading the posts here I had to convince myself that it was possible with my clumsy hands. I was pleased with the results tonight and can now work on refining my skills. Lots to learn, but a cornichone I have been chasing for quite a while, one with some actual air inside!

Salt 2.7%, yeast (ADY) .05%, water 66%, 12 hours bulk, 9.5 balls at appx 20C. I think the yeast is a bit high so will trim a bit.

Also tried firing the Pizza Party oven with dry Fir, which I have a ton of, because the wind storms keep knocking down the damn trees, it worked well, a bit more smoke and crackle but good temperatures.

Tonight was really just a test, a marinara sauce Margherita (reluctant to open a 100oz can for one pizza) and a test of Porcini cream sauce with mushrooms, roasted red pepper and Cappicollo with mozzarella and Taleggio  (combination too wet and too much!)

Bakes about 65-70 seconds @ 520 floor. I carefully watched the Margherita and STILL took it too far! I have to say the Pizza Party oven has changed the quality of my pizzas an incredible amount, I am getting consistency in the baking and at the temperatures I could never achieve before, now we have to work on the owner!

Thanks for looking . . .

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2016, 02:36:24 AM »
Really good! I think that Margh is spot on especially on the bottom!
On a neapolitan pizza journey with Wood fired oven Pizza Party 70x70
My Pizza

Offline SAUZER.ITALY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2016, 02:59:26 AM »
Very nice margherita  ^^^I also put the basil after cooking, the taste is much cleaner.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 03:01:10 AM by SAUZER.ITALY »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2016, 07:16:48 AM »
Icelandr,

Nice looking pizzas indeed.

I assume that the yeast was ADY. Is that correct?

Peter

Online Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2016, 11:03:59 AM »
Thank you Don Luigi, I appreciate that, as you recall your posts are the reason I have a Pizza Party Oven - that and the incredible patience of my wife Sharon!

I was trying for a more even colouring with less leoparding on the bake and as I watched carefully the leoparding started immediately. I am intrigued with the look of the Pies by Gsans a while back, and the recent pies by Omid, an even honey brown with less pronounced cornichone. Lots to learn!

Thanks

Online Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2016, 11:07:43 AM »
Peter - yes I was using ADY, and perhaps just a touch more than necessary.
I read the descriptions of the taste and texture of the pies baked using sourdough and am intrigued but rely on the ADY for now as it is convenient and consistent . . . One less variable to learn at present.

Offline slimank

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2016, 12:00:45 PM »
Hi Icelander,

I am really impressed about the progress you are making :) The pizza's look really nice and I suspect they taste as they look.

Regards,
Sliman

Online Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2016, 06:49:15 PM »
Thanks very much Slimank I have to say it is nice to have progress, even better when someone can tell!
Any progress made owes an awful lot to the people here on this board, an incredible resource.

Cheers!