A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island  (Read 88219 times)

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • 5 years and closer to. . a really Good Pizza!
Re: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2016, 11:49:40 PM »
Just the two of us.

A couple of pizzas for a quiet Saturday night . . .  .very similar to last week, a bit less yeast, which seemed an improvement. A Margherita with cappicollo and a somewhat blackened offering of salami, sweet onion and black Olive, with a touch of blue cheese.

After the success of the first, I decided to up the temperature before cooking so the pie went in with a 550° C floor, thermometer showed 490°  . . .  Oops, perhaps just the temp, perhaps a touch too much flour on the peel. Sometimes experiments go awry! Even the Saputo didn't save my bottom this time ,

A question - I have the dough balls in a wood dough box, with a wood lid and a small container of water inside, but still the top surface of the ball seems a bit dry - what do you do for that?

Thanks for looking . . . .

PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2016, 08:02:44 PM »
I meant to ask . . . What members thoughts on Galbani Mozzarella might be. A local store has just started carrying it so tried it last night. I found the flavour an improvement over the fior de latte from Costco, but didn't like the melt as much. I know I'm getting it hot enough so perhaps I should cut it a bit thinner?
I bought one ball and one sliced (in water) but haven't tried the sliced yet.

I am also trying 7/11 Ground tomatoes and really like them, straight out of the can, and prefer them to the many San Marzano tomatoes I have tried. Napoletana style will be just fine thanks.

Cheers

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2016, 09:02:24 PM »
NaCl as an antioxidant? How is that supposed to work?

My guess is that Calvel understood salt to be an antioxidant from a practical standpoint as opposed to the chemistry. Salt slows the development of gluten (probably because it slows the gluten hydration rate) which would appear to be the functional opposite of an oxidizer such as potassium bromate.

Slower should not be confused with weaker. It's believed that the salt-induced development delay impacts protein unfolding and the alignment of protein polymers resulting in the stronger gluten structure associated with increasing salt levels in dough.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline schold

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2016, 02:39:34 PM »
Yes, that would make sense. I bet you're right.
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2016, 11:49:06 AM »
This weeks Dinner  . . . .  Another couple of pies at 66%, some learning and some good flavours.

I am getting a little more used to higher hydration dough and it is always a pleasant surprise, when pulling the balls out of the wood dough box. When I am putting them in it is usually with "how am I going to handle this soft sticky mass" to a dough light and full of air, that lifts easily out of the box and shapes so nicely. A few slaps, a circle of the knuckles and it is ready to top. I would do more slapping but a couple of bent rigid fingers keep poking holes in the dough, so use a hybrid working on getting speed up but holes down.

66%, 2.7% salt, .05% ADY, 15 hr bulk, 7 hr in balls @ ~20°
A Margherita, and a mushroom, cappicollo Mozzarella, Taleggio and cream, both 60-90 sec

I find the waiting to put that first pizza in to be challenging, it likely should have been a bit hotter, and find I am putting too much cheese and toppings on now that I cut the cheese into cubes. Great taste and flavours, just love the creamy Taleggio - but perhaps a bit less.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2016, 08:27:36 PM »
Today's Pizza Lunch for 6

Some good friends to help with the eating duties, allowing me to try a few experiments
66%, 2.7% salt, .042% ADY, 24 hr bulk @ 15°, 5 hr balls @ 20°

Some thoughts:  Taste and texture I thought were perhaps the best yet, I liked the mushrooms uncooked rather than sautéed with Garlic (Thanks Craig!), still not sure about the curbing of the cheese, the mushroom pie does not need the cream, the Taleggio is rich and creamy enough and wonder why leoparding/colouring was all over the map . . .

1. Margherita cubed mozzarella (and I forgot the Basil Post bake)
2. Margherita torn mozzarella
3. Bottom
4. Mushroom, mozzarella, Taleggio, olive oil, chives post bake
5. Mushroom, Mozzarella, Taleggio, cream, chives
6. Cornichone
7. Cappicollo, sweet onion, black olives, Galbani Mozzarella, cubed

Cheers, Thanks for looking

Offline zwarbles

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2016, 08:58:04 PM »
Very nice!!
Pat

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2016, 09:07:53 PM »
wonder why leoparding/colouring was all over the map . . .

It looks to me like there is a pretty wide swing in top heat between the pies. In a low mass oven like the PP, it's pretty important to keep a steady fire. Develop a fire management routine that keeps the oven constantly at the right temp/flame.

Overall, I think there is a lot to like in those pies. Consistency will come with practice and experience.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2016, 09:53:20 PM »
Thank you Zwarbles!

Thank you Craig  - I believe that may be the case, as I mentioned in the fire management post, although I was feeding the top flames, at one point (at least), I didn't add enough bulk to keep overall temperatures up. It was the longest baking session - up to this point it was a couple of pies, this time with chatting, sipping, stretching, topping, sipping, it was just about 3 hours of attempted fire management. Experience is needed, but it's all part of learning - even old guys like that!

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2016, 10:33:56 AM »
I am not sure if posting questions in ones thread is a way of seeking answers but I will try.

Does a high hydration dough usually seem "sticky"?  At 66%, it is high for me, and I expect it to be more of a challenge to handle but a little flour on my hands and I can form the balls. Today my dough in bulk stuck VERY well to the Saran covering it, adding to the challenge!

I mix 10 minutes in KA, do 4 stretch and folds, wait 10 minutes and repeat, usually just the two times, cover loosely with Saran on a cutting board and allow it to rise for the time I have chosen. A little flour on hands and still  a bit of a challenge to form the balls. The dough seem light, full of air and has not been an issue after time in the dough box, but I wonder about the stickiness.

OK, and the bubbles on the surface . . .

Thanks for looking . . .

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2016, 10:01:51 AM »
A couple from Saturday night's bake. I enjoyed!

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2016, 10:32:33 AM »
I am not sure if posting questions in ones thread is a way of seeking answers but I will try.

Does a high hydration dough usually seem "sticky"?  At 66%, it is high for me, and I expect it to be more of a challenge to handle but a little flour on my hands and I can form the balls. Today my dough in bulk stuck VERY well to the Saran covering it, adding to the challenge!

I mix 10 minutes in KA, do 4 stretch and folds, wait 10 minutes and repeat, usually just the two times, cover loosely with Saran on a cutting board and allow it to rise for the time I have chosen. A little flour on hands and still  a bit of a challenge to form the balls. The dough seem light, full of air and has not been an issue after time in the dough box, but I wonder about the stickiness.

OK, and the bubbles on the surface . . .

Thanks for looking . . .

Sticky dough is normal for me at higher hydration. Especially with ADY and cold fermenting....the cold can do strange things to ADY. Use plenty of bench flour and yoh should be okay!
 I  have been making a roughly 68% dough using Sourdough culture instead of yeast that remains tacky/wet and requires plenty of flour to prevent it from staying stuck to everything it touches.  Large bubbles can be popped if you don't  like them, but I allow them to puff up to whatever size they want to get. ;D 

Nice looking pizzas!
Reesa

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2016, 12:40:21 AM »
Spring is here on Gabriola
We are ready for the summer with the Gator Mobile Pizza Party,  . . . .  some work yet to get to the beach!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 12:43:55 AM by Icelandr »

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2016, 11:46:15 PM »
A two pie Saturday Night

Pleased with the results, about 65 seconds per pie, 500-540 floor, Cappicolli Margherita, Mushrooms and prosciutto salami with mozzarella and Taleggio
Pleased, - last year I was modifying a Barbeque, this year I am learning fire management on a PP WFO and having fun!

Thanks for looking
Cheers!

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2016, 06:26:37 AM »
Nice work Icelandr - they look great - enjoy the summer!!!!!
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2016, 10:01:27 AM »
Thank you norcoscia, much appreciated. Lots to learn, but the trials are getting tastier!

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2016, 02:13:35 PM »
First try with Buffalo Mozzarella  - very tasty.  Puffy comes to mind.

I was worried about moisture so let it sit on paper towel fo about 40 minutes before baking. 5 pies, only one picture, the last was a Craig's Nutella  pie - just not as pretty! Think I prefer crepes with Nutella.

Cheers

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2016, 03:26:03 PM »
First try with Buffalo Mozzarella  - very tasty.  Puffy comes to mind.

I was worried about moisture so let it sit on paper towel fo about 40 minutes before baking. 5 pies, only one picture, the last was a Craig's Nutella  pie - just not as pretty! Think I prefer crepes with Nutella.

Cheers

That's buffalo mozz on that Margherita? I don't think I've ever seen buffalo mozz brown. What was the bake time?

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2016, 05:27:18 PM »
Floor temp 508° C, 69 sec and yes BC supplied Buffalo Mozzarella

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2016, 05:29:49 PM »
If you still have the package, please post the fat content of the buffalo mozz.