A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island  (Read 57069 times)

Offline pizza party

• Vendor
  • The original Pizza Party oven most versatile!
    • Pizza Party ovens official shop
Re: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island
« Reply #580 on: November 02, 2018, 01:45:43 PM »
 :chef: :pizza: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Simone
UK/US site: Wood fired ovens and gas fired ovens Pizza Party

Official shop online, save money by direct sales: Excellent offer home delivery to USA/CANADA and all taxes included

Pizza Party Facebook: Pizza Party lovers page

New Pizza Party lovers community: Ipizzaparty.it

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • One day . . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #581 on: November 08, 2018, 11:20:15 PM »
OK, this time I am happier . . . .
At 2 pizzas a week, used to be 3 but the scales went wonky, it is tough to learn a bunch week to week - day to day is only reading and hoping. Tonight’s 2 worked out quite well, a Margherita and a Mushroom Sausage Taleggio, that we like so much. The margherita was enabled by my fine wife and her aero garden, picking fresh basil after 20 days “planted” in the small hydroponic garden.

If you care, 67% hydration, 2.9% salt, .02% IDY, 17 1/2 hr bulk, 6 hr ball, at about 21° C. Oven very close to 500°C on floor, timing not considered tonight.

There is a point at which you have to question achieving a cornichone that might house rats, with lots of space . . .  As I look at the remains of our 2 pizza, there are no bones but plenty of air filled “edges” lying on the plate . . .light and airy, attractive, an accomplishment I suppose, but now in the recycle.
Enough, a good evening and bake, no threat to Naples, but a better bake

Offline SAUZER.ITALY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #582 on: November 09, 2018, 02:45:11 AM »
 ^^^
 Good Ice !! These your latest pizzas, are the best you've done! , cooking is excellent and the edge of the pizza is very swollen, excellent leavening.

Offline L antica Pizzeria da Leo

• Always striving for progress
« Reply #583 on: November 09, 2018, 05:37:56 AM »
Great looking pizzas Icelandr! Your pizzas are truly something to strive for  :drool:'

I was wondering how you get your crust as airy and puffy as those recent pizzas. Is there anything in your workflow or recipe that you consider especially important to get such beautiful pies?

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #584 on: November 09, 2018, 09:19:10 AM »
Great looking pizzas Ice!  You strive for perfection and I am striving to someday be as good as you!  Agree with you on the cornichone.  My wife and I have left many scraps on the plate at good Neapolitan pizza places.  Beautiful to look at but not so sure on the value of eating.  I would like mine closer to yours than mine though.  Also agree on the week to week pizzas for gaining experience.  And then I flip from IDY to SD, again just for experience.  Next attempt will be a Craig process  :'(

63% HR
1.5% salt, not what Craig would do but I like less sale.
2.1% SD

Water, dissolve in salt, whisk in culture, add flour, mix to generally smooth, bulk for 36 hours at 62+/-2F. Balls in bags for 8 hours at same temp and final 2 at ambient.

I'll run my firebrick deck at 850 and use rice flour on the peel to launch.  I will try to keep the pizza in the same spot as I turn but I'm a rookie at that as well!! 

And, it's pouring rain today. 

Outcome, who knows!!

Offline pizza party

• Vendor
  • The original Pizza Party oven most versatile!
    • Pizza Party ovens official shop
« Reply #585 on: November 11, 2018, 03:36:34 PM »
excellent!!!!
Simone
UK/US site: Wood fired ovens and gas fired ovens Pizza Party

Official shop online, save money by direct sales: Excellent offer home delivery to USA/CANADA and all taxes included

Pizza Party Facebook: Pizza Party lovers page

New Pizza Party lovers community: Ipizzaparty.it

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #586 on: November 17, 2018, 03:15:22 PM »
Consistency seems an illusive beast.

Similar dough makeup as last week, with less rise in the cornichone though the hydration changed only by 1%. 66% hydration, 2.9% salt, .02% IDY, 18 hour bulk, 6 hour ball, both at 20-21°C

Issues - apparently looking at the pics, too much flour, though no burnt bottoms.
Smaller uneven cornichone perhaps both caused by an old guys hands, where Neapolitan slap becomes the old man slap.
Crust was crisp and darker than desired suggesting over cooking . . . “When in doubt whip it out” has been forgotten here. I will do an Arne Jervell A and B test with simple pies and pull them at 45 seconds, 60 seconds and 75 seconds and have a look. The aesthetics of the pies is a challenge but I know I can make dough now so baking and toppings are my homework.

Secured a Pluviometer to work with so I better understand the fermentation, no it doesn’t change anything but should be a good learning tool.

Last night we had friends in so WOW, I could do 4 pies . . .Margherita, mushroom/ Pepperoni, sweet onion/ bacon/black olive, sliced cherry tomatoes/ onion and pesto. I confirmed I do not like pesto and gave the bottle as a door prize.

Thanks for looking
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 03:20:09 PM by Icelandr »

Online schold

« Reply #587 on: November 17, 2018, 04:22:44 PM »
Check out the link below to see how the 80 grams of dough is placed into the spia/pluviometer in such a manner as to avoid large air pockets.

https://youtu.be/clJyWbNr8GE?t=241

Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #588 on: November 17, 2018, 04:37:57 PM »
Quote from: Icelandr
There is a point at which you have to question achieving a cornichone that might house rats, with lots of space . . .  As I look at the remains of our 2 pizza, there are no bones but plenty of air filled “edges” lying on the plate . . .light and airy, attractive, an accomplishment I suppose, but now in the recycle.

Say it ain't so.  Your pies look so good, especially the cornicioni.

Rolls
"There's nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend."  -Bob Ross

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #589 on: November 17, 2018, 05:27:37 PM »
Thank you so much Schold, I guess I didn’t shake it hard enough and didn’t notice. Second time I will watch more carefully.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #590 on: November 17, 2018, 05:59:22 PM »
The pizzas look fantastic!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #591 on: November 17, 2018, 06:19:10 PM »
I like that first pepperoni and mushroom pie after the pluviometer (690EADA4-AC2F-4013-B7CD-B8729D6F9D6E.jpeg) a lot.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #592 on: November 18, 2018, 11:23:50 AM »
Beautiful to look at as always Ice.  I like the sliced cherry tomatoes.  I roasted a few for a sopressata pizza I made but was not quite up to photo standards!

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #593 on: November 18, 2018, 12:11:45 PM »
Thank you so much SK, TxCraig1 and Arne_Jervell for the kind words. I have been referred to as a picky b*stard, in kindly terms by friends and all knowing wife. It is always a challenge to meet my own expectations, especially seeing some of the pies produced on this board. I am indeed having fun learning and always look forward to the next bake . . .perhaps it will be “right”
For context I googled “images and Da Michelle pizza” and felt a bit better, some fantastic pizza and a few of those would keep me awake too . . . And I am a very long way from that goal!

Thanks, I am now going to search for video of bakes in the Pizza Party oven, to get a better idea of when to pull the pie

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #594 on: November 20, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »
Wow, it is always a good day when you learn something!

Today’s bake was not for company, not for lunch or dinner but to learn a few things. The plan was to make 3 Margheritas with 3 different methods of cutting/tearing the cheese and to try to bake at 45 seconds to 1 minute 20 and see the results. The biggest revelation was that apparently I have been using cheese melt as my eyeball indicator of the pie being done! As you can see below, the cheese I have been using for ages just doesn’t melt that fast! I tried my usual hand torn, cubes conveniently cut with a baking rack as done many many months back, and matchstick cut. The experiment there was a wash! They were all too thick and looked horrible in each case . . .  But the crust!

I started at 45 seconds and felt it wasn’t there so left it until 1 minute 15 and it was great, soft light and depressible with ability to spring back. I was so pleased with the first, I tried it two more times and it worked very well. None of the pizza were domed. Sharp eyed pizzaoli will wonder why one edge of the second pie looks clear of topping and a tad underdone . . . On launch the peel caught the end of the spartafamia and flipped the edge over the top of the pizza, making a pizza with a Calzone on its shoulder . . .with luck and a blast of language, it was flipped back but never recovered.

I was pleased with the rise, at times silly big bubbles but overall it seemed a good batch, sadly all but 4 slices were binned to recycle, an indicator of the proximity of friends and neighbours.
I again used the pluviometer, but only for observation not as an indicator of when to bake, I will save that for another day, but the reading at bake was 25 and seemed to hang there for quite a while, I will check it later tonight.
Hydration 66%,salt 2.9%,IDY .02%, 18 in bulk, 7 in ball at 20-21°C

A good learning experience, now to solve the cheese melt!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 08:02:24 PM by Icelandr »

Offline Irishboy

• Always do it with passion
« Reply #595 on: November 20, 2018, 08:54:14 PM »
Is that green beaker\tube used to tell when dough has doubled?
Josh

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #596 on: November 20, 2018, 09:07:20 PM »
I don’t have a great deal to pass on to you . . .it is called a pluviometer and featured in a book, Pizza Napoletana created by a fellow who used to post here, Fagilla was the name I believe. A number of people on this board have experience with the use, a search for pluviometer will give you some links. To me so far it is an aid to seeing where the ferment is, an indicator after some experience, to determine if the dough is at the stage of fermentation where it is ”ready” to bake. So far I have been watching the rise and recording the results as I commit to baking based on my limited experience. Not sure whether that came off as help or bafflegab, but . . .  .

Offline Irishboy

• Always do it with passion
« Reply #597 on: November 20, 2018, 09:39:37 PM »
Very smart
Josh

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #598 on: November 21, 2018, 09:03:17 AM »
Thank you for showing the bottom and spartifiamma in use.  Could you discuss the use of the spartifiamma a bit more.  Do you put it in after the fire is burning and coals are built up or in the beginning?  Do you push the bottom edge all the way to left wall of the oven?

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #599 on: November 21, 2018, 11:46:18 AM »
Hi SK, I always use the spartafamia, not pushed tight to the outside wall, but more lined up with the inside edge of the opening, except perhaps for yesterday! I tend to have a greater distance from the wall at the furthest end, so it is not parallel to the outside wall- perhaps not scientific but it works for me.
 I light the fire in the centre of the oven, paper and kindling and add a few 3/4-1” pieces to the kindling as it gets going, then using tongs insert the spartafamia to the far right then sweep all the fire with the spartafamia to the left side. I use a piece of plastic tubing and blow the ashes off the floor. Often between pies I use the tongs to shake the spartafamia to settle the coals to allow more room for new pieces.

There, likely far more than you asked for or wanted . . . .

wordpress