A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island  (Read 66062 times)

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island
« Reply #940 on: October 05, 2019, 04:26:36 PM »
A very fine selection of pies, Greg. All looking good! The queen perhaps a shade paler than usual. Hungry and eager crowd I surmise. :) The browning otherwise is beautiful I think.

Love the fact that you keep making scarpetta. And thanks for the reminder! It's been a while since I did one. Hopefully next week-end.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • 5 years and closer to. . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #941 on: October 05, 2019, 04:52:54 PM »
Thank you Arne, the guests were most impressed with the pizza, especially the presentation of the Scarpetta, which I managed to find all ingredients at the same time, rather than searching for the compote at the last minute. It is the only pizza session that involved wardrobe changes . . . .  I just had to show off the “Margherita Madness” T shirt, followed by the “Skyrocketing Pluviometers” which of course lead into the stories, much fun, Pizza was secondary!
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #942 on: October 05, 2019, 05:54:56 PM »
Outstanding presentation Greg.  Sausage and Mushroom is one of my old standbys that I like so much. 

Friends over, a little wine, good conversation, tasty pizzas!  It does not get much better.  We sometimes lose sight of we are making these for gathering around the table with family and friends to celebrate the important things in life!

Heat on in the house???  Today was the first day in a long time it was not 32c or higher!!

Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/stock bricks

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #943 on: October 06, 2019, 12:27:30 AM »
Yes, heat on in the house! Driving to the park for a walk today it was 10° C! OK, that is somewhat different than 32°. While we won’t get super cold here, which surprises so many people who believe the great white North is always frozen, the coming temps for the next while are about 12°C, cooler at night and our coldest  in the winter months seems to be about -10°, a rare occurrence.
Nothing like an Oak fire in the pizza oven, fresh pizza and a glass or two of wine to offset the changing seasons. Sometimes the pizza is extraordinary, sometimes it is just good friends and the taste is enhanced by the company, it is after all just food. But damnit, I would like it to be better!

Offline schold

« Reply #944 on: October 06, 2019, 06:45:48 AM »
I would rather have a great pizza than great company ;D
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #945 on: October 06, 2019, 10:21:48 AM »
Having had numerous exchanges with you over the years, I understand. We are all different.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #946 on: October 10, 2019, 12:15:51 AM »
I find myself tending to more white pizza lately and looking for inspiration on new combos for red based pizza.
I do the Google search, Neapolitan, images mushroom or whatever topping, I look at menus from Kesté and many others looking for a “Wow” pizza and while I am distant from a wow pizza, I look at ingredients and presentation to find a new interesting flavour presentation . . . .  . Any suggestions?
Oh, I’ve done burnt and flaming, skateboard, rustic and many combinations and tend more towards the traditional, but have little experience in dining out for pizza . .  .gasp!

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #947 on: October 10, 2019, 01:17:29 AM »
One I haven't done myself in a long time, apple slices, onions, and pecans,  a lite mix of mozz and a little cheddar, and dots of gorgonzola! Dough generously brushed with olive, avocado oil or ghee, sauce of choice on the side! We had this as an appetizer a couple times at a woodfire restaurant that does woodfired meats and pizza, a little Persian flare!
And from Pizza Lucé is one of my favorites is the Pizza Athena, A WONDERFUL mix of flavor in your mouth!!!! Here's a link to their menu, fun stuff on there........
https://pizzaluce.com/menu/

And here's their fall special menu with a butternut squash pizza, sounds good!!!
https://pizzaluce.com/menu/seasonal-specials/

Butternut Squash Pizza | GFR, VR
Our traditional crust topped with Bianca sauce, fresh garlic, crushed red chili, provolone and parmesan cheese, green onion and dollops of coconut infused mashed butternut squash.  Topped with your choice of bacon or vegan bacon (CG).

Pizza Athena |  VR, GFR
This little goddess has fresh spinach, tomato, feta cheese, Kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, red onions, Greek oregano, toasted garlic and light mozzarella on bianca sauce. Vegans: it’s great with our vegan cheese.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 01:21:17 AM by Jackitup »
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #948 on: October 10, 2019, 12:19:56 PM »
Thanks so much, Jackitup! I will have a look at the website and see what ingredients I may have on hand. New sources are always welcome.

Offline rdbedwards

• Supporting Member
  • Happiness is a perfectly baked Neapolitan pie
    • Boathouse Brewery
« Reply #949 on: October 10, 2019, 07:38:07 PM »
Have you tried making a pizza following Chris Bianco's rosa recipe? 

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chris-biancos-pizza-rosa

This falls in line with your white pie preference recently.
Sunjoy Killington (aka Member's Mark) WFO
Pizza Party Ardore (propane with Saputo)

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #950 on: October 10, 2019, 07:57:00 PM »
Hi rdbedwards, thanks for the note I have tried and enjoyed the Rosa, even bought the book and tried his focaccia. I am looking for simple attractive red sauce based pies because as I look back I am making more and more white pies aside from a Margherita or additions to . . . It may well be that I have developed a preference, or come to like Taleggio so much!
All the best

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #951 on: October 11, 2019, 09:57:00 PM »
Silly I suppose. I get to make dough tonight, a little excitement, a spark as the mind starts to whirl, recalling the now familiar routine. It is still fun, an adventure. I don’t have to worry about large quantities, clients or storage, just a few balls tonight, trying to improve after watching, not possibly listening to, Gino Sorbillo and trying to learn new techniques. It will be fantastic or not, but there is fun in the pursuit.

Offline schold

« Reply #952 on: October 12, 2019, 03:40:31 AM »
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #953 on: October 12, 2019, 04:59:17 AM »
I find myself tending to more white pizza lately and looking for inspiration on new combos for red based pizza.

As a big fan of pasta amatriciana, I though perhaps a pizza version could be good. A quick google search on "pizza amatriciana" reveals that I am late to the party, apparently it is "a thing".

I found some guanciale in the back of my fridge (past its due date but still looks and smells good to me). What a lucky coincidence! Today is pizza day. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turned out.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #954 on: October 12, 2019, 10:46:18 AM »
Schold, Thank you so much for the video, I had not seen it before. As I watched, a had to assume one of the first additions was peppers and as recalled one of your favourite pies with onions and peppers of many colours. I will have to try that one.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #955 on: October 12, 2019, 10:48:17 AM »
Thanks Arne, I came across pizza Amatriciana in my search of restaurant menus for ideas, but have not yet tried it. I look forward to your bake today! Save a slice!

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #956 on: October 13, 2019, 12:43:38 AM »
Just a bake for the two of us. I had to leave the dough in the box while we were out this afternoon, lesson learned it can dry out without a bit of water in the wood dough box left unattended. With Enzio ringing in my ears, the 5 common mistakes . . . I was worried. Close but salvageable is all that I can claim, a bit dry and leathery topside!
On the way home I stopped off and picked up, I think Bag#4 (or 5) of Caputo from the local Pizza place, I note that it, 25 kg, has lasted from early March until now . . . No wonder I am chubbier!

In all a successful bake and good food for dinner for the two oldies.
I wanted to try a newfound method of cutting mozzarella and was very pleased with the result. I saw it on a Gino Sorbillo video
At about 7 minutes in . . .my god he talks fast!, no lip movement, little inflection and Kabam he is describing while working so fast! Those that have more language skills likely will find no issues!

The dough was 15 1/2 hr bulk 8-9 hour ball at 20-21°C, 3% salt, .02% IDY, pluviometer 16-29.

Margherita, Fior Di Latte sliced as the video

Sharon’s choice a Quattro Formaggi with shredded ham, fontina, smoked cacciocovallo, Taleggio and Grana Padano, a few chives for accent

Margherita, with buffalo Mozzarella ( past it’s due date) and the same method of shredding fiore de latte. This one! Wow, in my mind I have been close to Naples! It was the best Margherita I have made in terms of my impression of a Da Michelle pizza, no, not the same quality perhaps but I knew what I was after and I just kept babbling, Sharon, nodding and muttering There There baby, it will be alright . . . OK, it was and looked good, but can it be repeated?

Good fun, too much food, the best and last was wasted on the oldies, but I have a memory of a great pizza! And a desire to try again . . .  .and another 25 kilo of flour!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 11:15:06 AM by Icelandr »

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #957 on: October 13, 2019, 01:22:28 AM »
BEAUTIES!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #958 on: October 13, 2019, 07:35:29 AM »
Hans

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #959 on: October 13, 2019, 07:43:47 AM »
 ^^^
Awesome looking pizzas! And very nice to hear your praise of the last one. Was it a previously untested brand of buffalo mozzarella? Or did it cook just right you think?

I often find that the type of mozzarella matters a lot in my own efforts.