A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Old Forge Style stuffed white pizza  (Read 2707 times)

Offline ILPadrino

• Everyone is happier when they are eating Pizza!
Old Forge Style stuffed white pizza
« on: March 04, 2016, 01:45:37 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone have a recipe for Old Forge, PA style stuffed white pizza??  Can you help a brother out! 

Thanks,
Joe

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
Re: Old Forge Style stuffed white pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 09:57:07 AM »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline matermark

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 07:14:19 PM »
Like Ghighirelli's? Revello's? Arcarro's?

Offline matermark

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 06:46:53 PM »
I know this is an old thread... but this is one of my favorite pizzas.

I make my own version of an Old Forge White quite often, especially during Lent.

I don't know where my pics are of the square/rectangular version, and I often use other peoples' dough...

That means supermarket dough... pizzeria dough... frozen doughballs...

I usually grease one 13 x 18 pan with shortening, then stretch out a room temp ball of dough to fit the rectangular pan as best as I can. I put a heavy sheet of plastic over it, often I cut the big doughball's bag down a seam and turn it into a big rectangle that will cover the dough/tray. With the dough covered, you can press out the doughball much easier. Sometimes I even use a glass bottle or jar and roll the dough thru the plastic. I let it rise for an hour or so to reach the corners.

In the meantime, I use a second doughball and do almost the same thing, but instead of using shortening, I put down another large piece of plastic wrap (the bag cut open again), spray it with oil, and spread the dough out in a 2nd 13 x 18 pan...

I make my Old Forge White with mozzarella and any other interesting cheese I may have in the fridge. I go to my local corner butcher/market and take a number. When my # is called, I tell them to take that pencil off their ear and give me TEN slices of mozzarella as thick as their pencil.

When I assemble the pizza, I make the 10 slices fit... usually, 8 slices fit and 2 slices are cut to fit, usually down the middle. I usually make it plain, though sometimes I used canned mushrooms inside. Whatever you put in it, leave an inch or so around the edges. You can put finely chopped onion inside if you like. Likewise with some Italian seasoning or oregano.

When both doughs are ready to become almost a huge 12 x 17" calzone, put both trays next to each other, long sides touching, on some non-slip surface, like shelf liners or for wookworkers out there, some router mat material. Take any plastic off the dough. Grab the plain tray, and carefully start lifting the outer edge, and flip the entire tray onto the tray that has the cheese.

Carefully remove the top tray. You should have an Old Forge White, nearly ready for the oven. Poke a few slits in the top dough for vents. Along the edges, try to take the edge of the top dough and tuck it under the edge of the bottom dough. Use your fingertips to pinch the edges shut.

Pour some olive oil on the top and wipe it over everything. Then, finely slice a small onion or shallot paper thin, and break it into rings and scatter some over the top. Sprinkle some Italian seasoning lightly over the top and sprinkle it with Rosemary. Fresh Rosemary is best but dried will work in a pinch, but you won't have that wonderful aroma in your house as much if using dried.

Bake it at 450F or 500F until you hear the sizzle from the cheese leaking onto the shortening, 15 to 20 minutes. From this point on, play it all by sight. You want the outside to be a medium golden brown. That can be as much as 10 to 15 additional minutes. This also insures trhat the thick mozzarella melts all the way through. The Rosemary & shallots/onions should be almost burnt to a crisp, like petrified!

That is how I make Old Forge White. I believe whatever cheese a red Old Forge pizza uses, the same cheese is used for Whites. I'm sure some Old Forge bars & restaurants use young Brick cheese, mild American cheese, or mild White Cheddar.

You can make your own dough, each ball should be about 12-16 ounces, a typical weight of pizzeria doughballs or supermarket dough; around here, WNY, doughballs are 16 to 22 ounces! This is a very heavy pizza, usually reserved for special occasions.

Below is a pic of a ROUND Old Forge White that I made splitting a heavy doughball in half, approximately 12 ounces per side, 13 inches diameter, made in a toaster oven at 450F on the Convection mode (air circulating.)

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress