A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Detroit Style - My way  (Read 29464 times)

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Detroit Style - My way
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 07:27:01 PM »
Just an update; made about 70 pizzas in brand new Lloyd Pans today. Pretty much all of them popped right out (unlike my older ones which don't seem to be as non stick as they used to be.) However, though i didn't have trouble releasing them from the pan, a few pans had some cheese that looked to be caramelized onto the side of the pan, and it didn't want to come off unless I dug at it.

Anyone else experience this?

This thread is fine for any DS talk.  I have had a bit of cheese stick.
Hans

Offline derricktung

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 07:02:25 AM »
Just an update; made about 70 pizzas in brand new Lloyd Pans today. Pretty much all of them popped right out (unlike my older ones which don't seem to be as non stick as they used to be.) However, though i didn't have trouble releasing them from the pan, a few pans had some cheese that looked to be caramelized onto the side of the pan, and it didn't want to come off unless I dug at it.

Anyone else experience this?

I've had this happen too, Lou.  It gets worse if you leave it on, as the spots where the cheese caramelized become problem spots in the long run after more uses as well if you don't clean em off pretty good.  I know Lloyd has a recommendation of some type of commercial grade detergent they've tested that cleans the pans but doesn't impact the non stick... it comes with their packaging when you buy the pans.  If you don't have it, I can find my old copy.

Btw, were you old pans Lloyd as well?  I'm curious how many bakes until you start getting sticking problems...

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2016, 11:11:17 AM »
I'll have to scrub them out well. My old Lloyd pans went 30 or 40 bakes before some sticking

Offline nicu2001

Detroit Style - My way
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2016, 02:26:05 PM »
Quick question on this recipe. I made two doughs for an 8x10 lloyds pan earlier and I am 5.5 hours into a room temp ferment and the dough appears to be over risen?  My house is at 71 degrees.  First pic is at 1h second is at 5.5. Any ideas?  Thanks
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 02:33:21 PM by nicu2001 »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 05:00:14 PM »
You did get a good rise on them, more than I usually get. The photo's after 5.5 hours look like they are ready to top and bake. Maybe your yeast is a bit more active or mine is less.

How did they turn out?
Hans

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 05:04:44 PM »
Square Pie on Pi day.

I upped the salt to 2.5% seemed to have better crust flavor.

This one  was 12 hours CF and 10 RTF. I changed up by putting pepperoni on top and drizzling sauce on pre bake. Taste was very good but I'll go back to the traditional DS with pepperoni on first and sauce post bake.
Hans

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2016, 05:18:58 PM »
I'll have to scrub them out well. My old Lloyd pans went 30 or 40 bakes before some sticking

In my blue steel DS pans, the pies stuck a bit at the cheese for the first 5-6 bakes then stopped sticking.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2016, 05:19:36 PM »
Square Pie on Pi day.

This one  was 12 hours CF and 10 RTF. I changed up by putting pepperoni on top and drizzling sauce on pre bake. Taste was very good but I'll go back to the traditional DS with pepperoni on first and sauce post bake.

Very nice!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 05:22:45 PM »
Thanks Craig. I'm getting hooked on these but it's warming up outside so looking forward to NP's on the Blackstone soon!
Hans

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 05:52:51 PM »
I like how crispy the bottom looks and how you dotted the sauce.  I'm making a square tonight abs might borrow that.  ;D

Offline surgtech2006

• Make Pizza, not war
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2016, 11:35:17 AM »
Square Pie on Pi day.

Did you find that putting pepperoni on top helped keep the grease from getting to the crust?

jerry

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2016, 11:51:34 AM »
Jerry, I'm not quite sure of the question. I wasn't really getting much grease on the crust when putting the pepperoni directly on the dough first. I like a bit of char on the pepperoni which is why I put it on top.  But I think I like the pepperoni on first and sauce post bake as I get better color on the cheese.
Hans

Offline surgtech2006

• Make Pizza, not war
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2016, 11:56:27 AM »
Jerry, I'm not quite sure of the question. I wasn't really getting much grease on the crust when putting the pepperoni directly on the dough first. I like a bit of char on the pepperoni which is why I put it on top.  But I think I like the pepperoni on first and sauce post bake as I get better color on the cheese.

When I used pepperoni (directly on crust) I was getting a lot of grease from the pepperoni (I was using a Hormel presliced) running down to the bottom of the crust. I havent made any pies in a while, but Im about to start up again and would like to get that fixed, either by switching products or maybe precooking pepperoni a bit before hand to draw off excess oil.

Offline carl333

• Always trying to improve my dough.
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2016, 12:27:56 PM »
I agree with this 100%. I think Lou hit the nail square on the head with his suggestion that the very low conductivity of oil is why you don't want too much oil on the pan.

Would anyone consider using coconut oil as opposed to oil at it pools? It's solid at room temperature but not sure if the coconut oil will give the crust an off taste.
Carl

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2016, 12:41:20 PM »
When I used pepperoni (directly on crust) I was getting a lot of grease from the pepperoni (I was using a Hormel presliced) running down to the bottom of the crust. I havent made any pies in a while, but Im about to start up again and would like to get that fixed, either by switching products or maybe precooking pepperoni a bit before hand to draw off excess oil.

I have not had that problem, I use Boars Head stick pepperoni. Putting it on top is certainly acceptable too.
Hans

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2016, 12:42:16 PM »
Would anyone consider using coconut oil as opposed to oil at it pools? It's solid at room temperature but not sure if the coconut oil will give the crust an off taste.

Carl, I have not tried coconut oil but several of us use Crisco for the reason you mentioned.
Hans

Offline carl333

• Always trying to improve my dough.
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2016, 01:01:02 PM »
Carl, I have not tried coconut oil but several of us use Crisco for the reason you mentioned.

just looking for a healthier option. Actually the boss bought a big jar of the stuff months ago and it hasn't been opened. Trying to find a use. She said I should have a teaspoon a day. Do like I say and not as I do.  ;D
Carl

Offline surgtech2006

• Make Pizza, not war
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2016, 01:16:50 PM »

Just as reference, you can see the oily crust in a pic I posted at reply 13 in my thread http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=41047.msg409645#msg409645 I just updated.

I plan on baking tomorrow and trying it with just an 8hr RTF, no pepperoni. I'm going to try your recipe Hans, and also the ingredient kit that came with the 8x10 pan I bought from Shawn/DSPCo.

Thanks for letting me thread jack!
Jerry

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2016, 01:46:35 PM »
just looking for a healthier option. Actually the boss bought a big jar of the stuff months ago and it hasn't been opened. Trying to find a use. She said I should have a teaspoon a day. Do like I say and not as I do.  ;D

Carl, I have some here. I'll try it next time and report back. Another recent thread mentioned that it didn't give off much coconut flavor.
Hans

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2016, 01:51:25 PM »
Just as reference, you can see the oily crust in a pic I posted at reply 13 in my thread http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=41047.msg409645#msg409645 I just updated.

I plan on baking tomorrow and trying it with just an 8hr RTF, no pepperoni. I'm going to try your recipe Hans, and also the ingredient kit that came with the 8x10 pan I bought from Shawn/DSPCo.

Thanks for letting me thread jack!
Jerry

Jerry, any DS discussion is welcome here. I have a lot to learn yet!

I see what you are talking about. Maybe the Hormel gives off more grease than the Boar's Head? I counted 42 slices, Shawn recommends 32 on the 10X14. I've used 25 slices of Boar's Head on an 8X10 without much grease running off.
Hans