A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Detroit Style - My way  (Read 24784 times)

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Detroit Style - My way
« Reply #180 on: December 02, 2018, 01:56:02 PM »
I have a couple of new old pans like that and am really enjoying using them.
I hope the steel police aren't reading this thread.
Marty

Online HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2018, 02:05:48 PM »
I hope the steel police aren't reading this thread.

Me too!  :-D
Hans

Online HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #182 on: December 02, 2018, 05:21:19 PM »
Pans worked well! Pizza tops and bottom finished at the same time. A bit harder to get out and they are not as easy to clean as the PSTK pans.

~14 [email protected] Lots of garlic in the bread sticks!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 05:23:03 PM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #183 on: December 02, 2018, 05:36:28 PM »
Stood up and started to clap - only stoped to type this message - BTW, can I use those photos on my calculator site --- :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: -- fantastic work, Hans!!!!
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG, Baker's Pride M02T 220V, PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Online HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #184 on: December 02, 2018, 05:43:59 PM »
Stood up and started to clap - only stoped to type this message - BTW, can I use those photos on my calculator site --- :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: -- fantastic work, Hans!!!!

Thanks Norm. Of course you may. Would you like any other info for the calculator?
Hans

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #185 on: December 02, 2018, 05:53:23 PM »
If you have the originals un cropped that would help but not a big deal as I can make a square by combining the two pies - that might even be better (more interesting) - I'll put a link back to you post here (like I have with the other pies). Busy today implementing a tabbed interface on some home automation displays at the homestead.

Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG, Baker's Pride M02T 220V, PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Online HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #186 on: December 02, 2018, 05:58:26 PM »
If you have the originals un cropped that would help but not a big deal as I can make a square by combining the two pies - that might even be better (more interesting) - I'll put a link back to you post here (like I have with the other pies). Busy today implementing a tabbed interface on some home automation displays at the homestead.

Damn, you're wired in!!
Hans

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #187 on: December 02, 2018, 07:12:10 PM »
Beautiful pies Hans. I have found this size pan works great for the two of us. Perfect freezing size for us and great when grandson shows up. Is there a previous post on this dough recipe?
Marty

Online HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #188 on: December 02, 2018, 07:34:37 PM »
Beautiful pies Hans. I have found this size pan works great for the two of us. Perfect freezing size for us and great when grandson shows up. Is there a previous post on this dough recipe?

Thanks Marty. It's the same as Post #115 except I used GM Full Strength this time and set it set in a cooler room to ferment for about 7 hours.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 07:36:49 PM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline Little bean

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • DiLauroís Pizzeria
« Reply #189 on: December 02, 2018, 08:33:21 PM »
Fantastic Hans

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #190 on: December 02, 2018, 10:26:18 PM »
These look great. I love the slightly smaller size - but I'm a stickler for the sharp, angular corners (not rounded.)

I'm surprised this was 14 minutes at 525. Does your oven run a little cool? Shawn is baking in a home oven on center rack at 450 for 15.

In any event, when I try the style again I want to extend the bake time to the 14 or 15 minutes I've been seeing lately. I think it'll give a heartier bottom crust, which I am a big fan of.

Pans worked well! Pizza tops and bottom finished at the same time. A bit harder to get out and they are not as easy to clean as the PSTK pans.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #191 on: December 03, 2018, 10:36:39 PM »

Love this thread!
the proof is in the pizza

Offline wangji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #192 on: December 05, 2018, 01:40:21 AM »
looks so good

Offline Mjs16

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #193 on: December 27, 2018, 05:59:49 PM »
Mo - I have had great success with HBoulte's recipe.  The diastatic Malt Powder was really a key differentiating point for my DS pizzas - really gave that nice crisp bite...

Regarding your dough... here is my procedure and it provides a very nice dough...

Using HBoulte's # 115 recipe  (my pan is 14X11 - 525 g dough ball)

KAB  100%
Water 70 %
Salt 2%
LDMP 2%

1) Weigh out flour.  Withhold 20% for time being
2) add other dry ingredients and blend
3) with Kitchen Aide Mixer - mix with dough hook on low or 2 setting and slowly add water.  When mixed (about 2-3 minutes, the dough will look like a very heavy batter.
4) Let rest (autolaze) for 20 minutes
5) restart mixer and by the tablespoon, slowly add withheld flour.  Knead at low or 2 for 6-7 minutes.  The dough will begin to take shape.  Stop once or twice to knock it down the dough if it scoots up hook. Dough should look fairly smooth at this point (but be careful of over kneading)...
6) Pour dough onto counter (should be slightly sticky but manageable).  Lightly oil your hands (maybe your dough scrapper as well).  At this time I usually cut mass into 525 gm pieces.  I individually knead (four folds or so) to form ball and place in lightly oiled container for 30 minutes to rest.  (Dough balls can be frozen or refrigerated at this point if you are making extra dough).
7) After 30 minutes of rest, I press the dough into a Crisco greased pan.  Finger tips might need to be oiled a tad to prevent sticking during shaping.
8) I normally do a 8 hour CF and the then RT (70'F) for 4-5 hours. 
9) Pizza is dressed and I use two Baking Steels - stacked 6" apart on two oven racks - to bake.  I bake (500'f) 6  minutes between the two baking steel "stacks" and then move to the top rack/baking steel to finish.  I might even blast the top with the broiler if my sopressata / pepperoni needs some crisping or cheese needs a tad more browning.

I have been reading this thread and I just haven't figured out exactly when you press the dough out to fill the whole pan. In one post it seems like you do it right after you mix the dough but the picture on #179 shows the balls rising in the pan.

Online HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #194 on: December 27, 2018, 07:52:23 PM »
Post #179 was right after mixing and the dough was a bit tight. They are not rising in the pan as balls, I pressed it in in two stages about ten minutes after the photo. If your dough is extensible enough you can press it into the pan right after mixing. You want to let it rise after it's pressed out fully.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 08:01:50 PM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline Mjs16

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #195 on: December 27, 2018, 11:25:16 PM »
Thank you! Do you still CF? On #115 it just says 4 hour RTF. Sorry for the questions!

Online HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #196 on: December 28, 2018, 12:13:29 AM »
Never too many questions.

It depends on when I want to bake. If I have time I do about 14 hour CF then 8 hour RTF. Using 1% IDY works well for both.
Hans

Offline Mjs16

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #197 on: December 28, 2018, 09:42:30 PM »
Here is my first attempt. It looked great out of the oven but when I cut into it, it was a little gummy or soggy. The outside crust was nice and crisp but there just wasn't good crumb. It still tasted pretty good though. Any pointers? I did put some sauce underneath too. 

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #198 on: December 28, 2018, 10:02:51 PM »

Looks awesome, Hans. Where can I get those pans?
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Online HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #199 on: December 28, 2018, 10:55:42 PM »
Here is my first attempt. It looked great out of the oven but when I cut into it, it was a little gummy or soggy. The outside crust was nice and crisp but there just wasn't good crumb. It still tasted pretty good though. Any pointers? I did put some sauce underneath too.

It sure looks good! Was the dough nice and proofed? Mine is very much like a pillow before I top it. I have not put sauce on the dough, always cheese first.
Hans