A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Re-Engineering Buffalo, NY style  (Read 19516 times)

Offline jtfarr03

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Re-Engineering Buffalo, NY style
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2020, 08:19:20 PM »

Thanks for the help!! I'd actually located Pizzaman716's recipe after my post and cut his recipe in half. I now realize that I may have used too much yeast - I hadn't thought about cake yeast vs. instant dry yeast. I used 7 grams of Instant Dry Yeast, cutting in half the 15 grams of cake yeast that Pizzaman716 had used. Any thoughts as to how that will impact the dough?

Beyond that - any thoughts on sauce? What have you tried? 

We do a lot of formulas in bakers percentages because that makes them scalable. Also with weighs, a formula is repeatable. Not every cup of flour weighs the same. So without knowing the size of the pizza you want to make, it hard to give specific weights to you (also, I follow this thread but have never made a Buffalo style pizza before).

Bakers percentages are listed in terms of the weight of flour. So this formaula is 58% hydration, 2% salt, 1% sugar and <1% yeast. So, if you had 1000g of flour, you would use:

0.58x1000g=580g water
0.021000g=20g salt
0.01x1000g=10g sugar
0.01x1000g=10g yeast

Back in post 53, Pizzaman716 blended two flours for a total of 1500g of flour and then used about 600g dough balls for 4, 16 inch pizzas.

To make that formula easier,  I'd just use King Arthur bread flour like this:
1500 g flour
870 g water
30g salt
15g sugar
5 grams IDY(instant yeast)

That should get you in the ballpark of 4, 600g doughs. If you only want 2, cut everything in half.

Hopefully I didn't mess anything up.

Edit: I just reread it and you were looking for a half sheet pan dough weight. Since pizzaman716 was going to reduce his dough size on the 16 inch pizza, I think the 600g or so dough will work for your sheet pan.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Re-Engineering Buffalo, NY style
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2020, 08:43:29 PM »
Thanks for the help!! I'd actually located Pizzaman716's recipe after my post and cut his recipe in half. I now realize that I may have used too much yeast - I hadn't thought about cake yeast vs. instant dry yeast. I used 7 grams of Instant Dry Yeast, cutting in half the 15 grams of cake yeast that Pizzaman716 had used. Any thoughts as to how that will impact the dough?

Beyond that - any thoughts on sauce? What have you tried?

I grew up in southern Connecticut and have been living in the Albany area for about 25 years. I love going to Buffalo. That said, I have tried several times to like Buffalo style pizza and so far it isn't for me. If you are in the area, I'd highly recommend getting a Margherita at Jay's Artisan in Kenmore. Amazing Neapolitan pizza.

So, I'm probably not the best to help dial in a sauce. I'd go with good crushed tomatoes, probably water them down a little with some water/tomato paste combo and season with garlic powder, oregano, maybe a little dried basil and some sugar. I think that might get you in the neighborhood.

As far the extra yeast, if it starts to look a little too fermented throw it in the fridge. Or sadly since it is January, putting it outside would probably slow it down too. :D

Not sure if you have seen this thread, but there are some sauce recipes in there.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30764.0

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress