A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Re-Engineering Buffalo, NY style  (Read 15993 times)

Offline pizzaman716

Re: Re-Engineering Buffalo, NY style
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2016, 02:18:44 PM »
Unless of course you were talking Pizza Oven in the Falls... I was referring to the one in LP

Offline PizzaMark

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2016, 05:06:50 PM »
Thanks man, I'll head over to Dashes tomorrow.

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2016, 06:14:15 PM »
Sorry guys I just saw this. The sauce recipe was from transit not Bailey. Battistoni pepperoni is made in Buffalo so it is carried by many places, but not RD. You can get it at dashs and wegmams on the stick but you will need to slice it yourself.

Online corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2016, 04:47:03 PM »
Sorry guys I just saw this. The sauce recipe was from transit not Bailey. Battistoni pepperoni is made in Buffalo so it is carried by many places, but not RD. You can get it at dashs and wegmams on the stick but you will need to slice it yourself.
Jay you mentioned getting grande in Rochester- at Olindo's? I go to Rubino's frequently but I don't think they carry it.

Clay

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2016, 11:02:15 PM »
Clay,

Big Apple carries it. Not sure where it may be available at retail.

Jay

Offline Rowzzy

« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2016, 02:30:59 PM »
One day ferment, made dough at 9am,baked at 7pm  :)

Offline Rowzzy

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2016, 02:32:28 PM »
Dimples

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2016, 11:53:09 PM »
Nice! Did you use a half sheet pan?

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2016, 11:55:31 PM »
I've been meaning to re visit this thread and dig a little deeper into the history now that the food truck season is dying down. Hopefully I have something new by the end of September.

Offline Rowzzy

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2016, 12:26:19 AM »
Yes,maybe a little less dough for that size pan next time

Offline gator24

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2016, 08:20:50 PM »
Anybody get a good sauce recipe yet?

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2016, 10:41:59 PM »
It's a mix of red pack and Bonta both extra heavy. The spices, salt and sugar are all minimal. I was speaking with on of the family members of bocce last week and they said originally the sauce was not spiced at all, it was simply cooked down tomato. I had some imperial yesterday and to be honest it was awful, could be due to the high volume of the Bills playing. I have a new set up for my home oven on the way and will be doing some trials over the winter.

Offline pizzaman716

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2016, 02:01:58 PM »
Ok I'm ready to get back into this Buffalo Pizza game. I'm going to use OG's bakers percents for the dough, although I'll use a 2 to 1 HG to AP flour ratio. I tried purchasing Bocce's specialty flour after seeing it in Latina's product catalog yesterday, but they unfortunately only sell to... Bocce's. But it was worth a shot.

FLOUR 100% - 1000g ALL TRUMPS/500g ADM ALL PURPOSE
H2O 58%      - 870g TAP WATER
SALT 2%       - 30g
SUGAR 1%    - 15g
YEAST 1%      - 15g CAKE YEAST

In lieu of traveling to beautiful Cheektowaga, NY to purchase RedPack and Bonta products, I did what O.G. mentioned in earlier posts and cooked down some good quality tomatoes, in this case Stanislaus tomato strips I had to use up anyway. I am currently bulk fermenting the dough in an air tight mixing bowl at ~90F for about an hour before I weigh and lay the skins on lard covered pans. I'll stretch the skins as much as i can and come back later for the second and final stretch. I will proof the stretched dough for 45 mins at ~90F, but one will be sprayed with water and the other with a thin layer of cooked tomatoes on it to see if there's anything to note there.

Offline pizzaman716

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2016, 12:10:26 PM »
Oh yeah ... The dough turned out great! I Used 22 ounces for a 16" pie, I'll try 20 ounces next time see what happens. The first pie was the sauce covered one that I let rise for 45 minutes and kept in the refrigerator until I was ready for the bake. I dissolved 165 grams of sugar into 100 grams of water and added it to the tomato puree. The first pie definitely could have used a little more sauce but it was a great place to start. I thought I poured a lot of oregano and basil on it but since I put no seasonings in the sauce, I could use a lot more next time. It was a little bland until I added a bit more salt and spices. I also used pre shred Sorrento full fat cheese and Battistoni pepperoni I sliced myself. Only other thing to note is if I were using a real pizza oven, I would have covered the pizza skin from edge to edge with sauce, but that's a dangerous thing to do in a home situation.

Offline pizzaman716

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2016, 12:23:01 PM »
Also for next time I will sprinkle romano cheese on top of the sauce, I forgot to buy some while I was out. It's been a while since I've been to Bocce's so I can't say how close it really is, but I will say with a few refinements these  pies would stand on their own regarless. The dough, however, is great. I will mess around with different flour mixes maybe do 2 to 1 AP to AT but other than that the bakers percents are excellent where they are, thank you OG. And I am a lard convert that soybean oil always leaves a bad taste. The lard is almost non exsitent to taste, and the pizzas release from the pans to the deck for a short kiss with ease. One last thing on these trials is to say, I did not ball the dough! Yeah you definitely do it for NYC style pies, but when it comes to Buffalo style same day dough, I don't think is does much but inhibit your ability to stretch the dough on the pans. These skins stretched with ease. I believe when you ball the dough it becomes to tight and it's nearly impossible to stretch to the full diameter of the pan. Maybe that's just me I'd like to hear what others think about that

Offline pizzaman716

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2016, 12:29:55 PM »
w/ shrooms

Offline TonyRicci

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2017, 07:19:18 AM »
Please keep up the good work,  pizza looks great

Offline pizzaman716

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2017, 05:58:22 PM »
Happy Pizza Thursday to all you pizza freaks! Time once again to take another stab at the old Buffalo Style pie. This week I'm reversing my earlier flour ratio, using 1000g all purpose to 500g All Trumps. See if there will be anything to note. Also, the forces of nature kept me from traveling to my local Restaurant Depot but luckily I dusted off my last can of Alta Cucina's. I drained all the liquid and added the tomatoes to a couple tablespoons of evoo and dried herbs in an effort to season the sauce further. One thing that I am unclear on is the sauce. A couple posters before me simply say spices are added to the Redpack and Escalon products, I just wish this would be a little more clear. Maybe I missed something or whatever but for today we're going to cook the Stanislaus products down, add a little seasoning and go from there. Next weeks installment will feature O.G.'s recommended brands of sauce. Here's a pic of my sweet little Hobart baby that I believe is from the mid 40's going to work on this beautiful Buffalo dough!  ;D

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2017, 10:46:58 PM »
Looks good! Sorry to be so vague on the sauce but it really is fairly un seasoned. Salt and sugar to taste will get you a long way. Once you get it on the pizza you will see what I'm saying. When  I spoke with someone who has been with bocce a long time hey said originally the sauce was un seasoned. Oregano over your mozzarella will help with the herbal note. When I recall making the sauce it was something like 6 #10 cans of extra heavy I think 3 Bonta 3 red pack than 3 cans water, a cup of the spice mix (probably oregano, basil, mostly) and in the range of a cup sugar and a cup salt but I can't be sure. The most important characteristic IMO is the concentrated and cooked down flavor of the suace which will come from red pack.

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2017, 10:53:15 PM »
If you make an order from Latina they will let your buy their flour, they sell it to several places around town. If I had to guess its probably in the mid to high 13% range for protein. In the meantime I have been finding the best Buffalo style slices lately have been at Mattinas on Sheridan drive. Really an excellent representation of classic Buffalo Pizza.

wordpress