A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Re-Engineering Buffalo, NY style  (Read 22989 times)

Offline jtfarr03

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Re-Engineering Buffalo, NY style
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2020, 08:19:20 PM »

Thanks for the help!! I'd actually located Pizzaman716's recipe after my post and cut his recipe in half. I now realize that I may have used too much yeast - I hadn't thought about cake yeast vs. instant dry yeast. I used 7 grams of Instant Dry Yeast, cutting in half the 15 grams of cake yeast that Pizzaman716 had used. Any thoughts as to how that will impact the dough?

Beyond that - any thoughts on sauce? What have you tried? 

We do a lot of formulas in bakers percentages because that makes them scalable. Also with weighs, a formula is repeatable. Not every cup of flour weighs the same. So without knowing the size of the pizza you want to make, it hard to give specific weights to you (also, I follow this thread but have never made a Buffalo style pizza before).

Bakers percentages are listed in terms of the weight of flour. So this formaula is 58% hydration, 2% salt, 1% sugar and <1% yeast. So, if you had 1000g of flour, you would use:

0.58x1000g=580g water
0.02×1000g=20g salt
0.01x1000g=10g sugar
0.01x1000g=10g yeast

Back in post 53, Pizzaman716 blended two flours for a total of 1500g of flour and then used about 600g dough balls for 4, 16 inch pizzas.

To make that formula easier,  I'd just use King Arthur bread flour like this:
1500 g flour
870 g water
30g salt
15g sugar
5 grams IDY(instant yeast)

That should get you in the ballpark of 4, 600g doughs. If you only want 2, cut everything in half.

Hopefully I didn't mess anything up.

Edit: I just reread it and you were looking for a half sheet pan dough weight. Since pizzaman716 was going to reduce his dough size on the 16 inch pizza, I think the 600g or so dough will work for your sheet pan.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2020, 08:43:29 PM »
Thanks for the help!! I'd actually located Pizzaman716's recipe after my post and cut his recipe in half. I now realize that I may have used too much yeast - I hadn't thought about cake yeast vs. instant dry yeast. I used 7 grams of Instant Dry Yeast, cutting in half the 15 grams of cake yeast that Pizzaman716 had used. Any thoughts as to how that will impact the dough?

Beyond that - any thoughts on sauce? What have you tried?

I grew up in southern Connecticut and have been living in the Albany area for about 25 years. I love going to Buffalo. That said, I have tried several times to like Buffalo style pizza and so far it isn't for me. If you are in the area, I'd highly recommend getting a Margherita at Jay's Artisan in Kenmore. Amazing Neapolitan pizza.

So, I'm probably not the best to help dial in a sauce. I'd go with good crushed tomatoes, probably water them down a little with some water/tomato paste combo and season with garlic powder, oregano, maybe a little dried basil and some sugar. I think that might get you in the neighborhood.

As far the extra yeast, if it starts to look a little too fermented throw it in the fridge. Or sadly since it is January, putting it outside would probably slow it down too. :D

Not sure if you have seen this thread, but there are some sauce recipes in there.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30764.0

Offline CupnCharRoni

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2020, 10:01:40 AM »
I just found this video on Imperial Pizza today. Look at 0:26. It looks like white specs in their sauce. Could that be garlic?

I didn't think the sauce was put on so thick (consistency, not amount). Seeing it really helped get an idea of the process. This thread was overall great. I'm a NYC native that has been in Buffalo ~10 years. It was really hard to find good pizza here for a good while. I just didn't dig the style at first, and then i found picassos, and about asking for it well done. I think picassos is the best around here so I'm going to be trying to get close to that. This thread has been a great help.

After seeing Ogwoodfire's comments i'm going to have to check out Jay's Artisan Pizzeria one of these days. Probably the best looking pizza I've seen locally. Honestly really great to see.

Offline matermark

« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2020, 02:23:00 PM »
I didn't think the sauce was put on so thick (consistency, not amount). Seeing it really helped get an idea of the process. This thread was overall great. I'm a NYC native that has been in Buffalo ~10 years. It was really hard to find good pizza here for a good while. I just didn't dig the style at first, and then i found picassos, and about asking for it well done. I think picassos is the best around here so I'm going to be trying to get close to that. This thread has been a great help.

After seeing Ogwoodfire's comments i'm going to have to check out Jay's Artisan Pizzeria one of these days. Probably the best looking pizza I've seen locally. Honestly really great to see.

Norm's on Broadway near Bailey, and the Avenue Pizza on Genesee near the border that served rectangular slices, both closed, both used mostly thick tomato paste spread on as their sauce... Only this Avenue location made what I'd call a "box-filler" pizza, cut from 12 to 6, then all the rest of the cuts were East-West parallel slices. They had it on sale on Sunday or Monday and my girl lived between Raymundo's and this Avenue & tended bar across the street at the Borderline so it was a favorite.

I knew Mark, the owner of Picasso's, through a school & hospital buddy... Are you talking his regular pizza? I have only had his deep dish pizza, I remember when he intro'd it in the '80's I think, and it was rectangular with sauce somewhat random on top, tho' not quite Detroit style... I thought it was pretty good. Haven't had it in about 30 years.

Offline CupnCharRoni

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2020, 02:57:13 PM »
Yea I'm speaking about their regular pizza. The large size specifically so its cut into squares. It is kinda Detroit style like, probably why I like it so much. It's what made me do mostly Detroit style pizzas for the last year or so when i cooked. The sauce is now all under the cheese. Its not quite a Sicilian pie, not quite a buffalo pie so somewhere in the middle and its great. I didn't much like buffalo pizza till I had that.

Offline matermark

« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2020, 03:51:15 PM »
Yea I'm speaking about their regular pizza. The large size specifically so its cut into squares. It is kinda Detroit style like, probably why I like it so much. It's what made me do mostly Detroit style pizzas for the last year or so when i cooked. The sauce is now all under the cheese. Its not quite a Sicilian pie, not quite a buffalo pie so somewhere in the middle and its great. I didn't much like buffalo pizza till I had that.

Thanks, I'll have to stop next time I'm near them & try one... I've been ordering from http://chick-n-pizza.com/ in a pinch (Monday's 18" Giant C&P $12.99... was $11.99 last year) because the Abbott location delivers to me near Lovejoy; I have something wrong with my oven and only the stovetop works so I unplugged it and can only make 13" pizzas in a convection toaster oven... BUT come to think of it, my GE microwave has convection too, up to 450 degrees F, and I think it may be bigger than the toaster oven, will have to measure... maybe I can do 14's...

Thanks again!

EDIT: We good! The opening's 14.5"! Back to making Buffalo pizza! In a convection microwave oven!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 04:06:55 PM by matermark »

Offline PaulStyles

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2020, 07:40:09 PM »
Tried my hand at re creating Buffalo Pizza.  Let me know what you think?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 07:50:29 PM by PaulStyles »

Offline matermark

« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2020, 10:25:19 PM »
It's not cup & char but I'd eat it. It looks like packaged pre-sliced, like Margherita or Hormel...

Offline PaulStyles

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2020, 07:06:04 AM »
Margherita,  I cant find cup and char  :(

Offline matermark

« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2020, 12:06:01 PM »
Are you in Lakeview NY? If you can't find cup & char, next best is Margherita stick pepperoni. I don't know who has it after the virus started, but, in the past, I bought it at Walmart Supercenters, Camillo's Sloan Super Market (https://www.sloansupermarket.com), Tops, etc. Hope this helps.

P.S. I just bought these today at a Walmart Supercenter in Cheektowaga NY, they were in the Deli dept, in a basket right in front of 1 of the deli meat cases. They were $4.34 each. These were thinner diameter than those in the pillow-paks, but still not Cup & Char...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 05:46:13 PM by matermark »

Offline PaulStyles

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2020, 07:47:40 PM »
Thank you for the heads up. I will try it.  Made in America store at McKinley Mall sells Battistoni cup and char but have no clue if they are open.  Till then I will pick this up.  Thanks again. 

Offline jtfarr03

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2020, 07:17:13 AM »
I've had great luck ordering it directly from Battistoni online: http://battistonibrand.com/cup-char-buffalo-style-pepperoni-sliced/

Thank you for the heads up. I will try it.  Made in America store at McKinley Mall sells Battistoni cup and char but have no clue if they are open.  Till then I will pick this up.  Thanks again.

Offline matermark

« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2020, 01:34:06 PM »
Here's the Margherita Stick pepperoni results... They're hand sliced, so don't expect any uniformity from me!

Offline PaulStyles

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2020, 02:05:19 PM »
That looks delicious

Offline matermark

« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2020, 05:06:03 PM »
Thanks. That was made in a toaster oven using the convection setting at 450F. I took half of my go-to recipe 26 ounce ball that filled more than half of a gallon zip-lock bag and will make the other half tonight or tomorrow. I also put all my herbs INTO THE DOUGH on this one. I may try a screen instead of the perforated pan--I normally put an oiled parchment paper disk down and bake it all in 1 shot but this time I started it on the bottom rack for 3 or 4 minutes, just enough to get it firm enough so the wet dough doesn't drip or sag through the holes, then put the cheese, sauce and toppings on and back to the bottom again for another 5 minutes, then move it to the middle rack (the highest one in the toaster oven) for another 10 minutes or so, whatever's needed for a golden bottom and cup & charred pepperoni...

Offline PaulStyles

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2020, 07:00:47 PM »
I did end up finding cup and char at Wegmans.  Pizza turned out very good.  Family was happy. Thank you

Offline CupnCharRoni

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2020, 02:26:44 PM »
I did end up finding cup and char at Wegmans.  Pizza turned out very good.  Family was happy. Thank you

That looks good, i think sauce to the edge could have helped it look more traditional.

Offline CupnCharRoni

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2020, 02:28:06 PM »
Gave this a go since I had an extra dough that I made for a new haven pie and I got hooked up with some Ezzo pepperoni over the weekend.

I don't really like buffalo pizza, but this came out well.

Sauce: 7oz of full red mixed with 2-3 tablespoons of good tomato paste. 1tsp oregano, 1tsp dried basil, salt and 1tsp+ of sugar.
Doug: 63% dough, 3 day CF. Was supposed to be a new haven dough but I just wasn't happy with the outcome of the NH pie in a home oven.
Pan: I used an aluminum circle pan for the first 8min. Then xfred directly to steel for another 2. The pan sucked the big one.
Bake: 500f for 8 min, 2 min directly on steel out of necessity.

I really need a heavier sheet pan. Open to suggestions.

Offline PaulStyles

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2020, 03:28:40 PM »
I will definitely go the edges next time!

Offline jtfarr03

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2020, 09:45:40 PM »
So what follows is the recipe I've been using for my Buffalo style pizza. The dough is adapted from this thread; the sauce is adapted from a post I saw on the Buffalo Bills Mafia Facebook group:

Buffalo Style Pizza Dough
-   400 grams King Arthur Sir Lancelot Flour
-   232 grams water (warm)
-   1.5 tsp Salt (8 grams)
-   1 tsp Sugar (or 4 grams)
-   ¾ tsp Instant Dry Yeast (or just over 2 grams)

1.   Whisk together dry ingredients.
2.   In bowl of stand mixer, combine dry ingredients and warm water until a rough dough ball has formed. Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
3.   Mix  with dough hook for at least five minutes on low to medium until a smooth dough ball has formed.
4.   On a lightly oiled work surface, knead dough in to a ball. Place in to a lightly oiled bowl and let rise in fridge for at least 24 hours. 48 is better.
5.   Take out of fridge at least three hours before cooking.
6.   After at least an hour has passed, grease pan with shortening and spray olive oil
7.   Stretch dough on a lightly oiled work surface to rough shape of pan
8.   Place dough in plan and stretch to shape
9.   Spray dough lightly with warm water.
10.   Preheat Oven to 525 Degrees. Let dough rise at room temperature covered with another inverted baking sheet for at least an hour while pizza stone is heating up.
11.   When pizza stone has heated up, cook pizza in pan for ten minutes. Place pizza directly on the stone for the last 2 to 3 minutes.

Note:
-   You’ll need about a ½ cup of grated hard cheese, 1 pound of mozzarella cheese and between ½ and a 1 cup of sauce to dress the pizza.
-   This amount of dough is calculated to cover a standard half baking sheet.

Buffalo Style Pizza Sauce
-   28 ounce can of san marzano tomates (drained of all liquid)
-   6 ounce can of tomato paste
-   2 tbsp olive oil
-   2 tsp garlic powder
-   2 tsp oregano
-   2 tsp basil
-   1 tsp salt
-   4 tsp sugar
-   fresh black pepper to taste

1.   Drain tomatoes of all liquid.
2.   Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor
3.   Blend/Pulse until almost smooth. Like crushed tomatoes.
Notes:
-   Make 24 hours in advance when you make the dough.
-   This will make way more sauce than you need for one pizza.

Thoughts? I've had good results with this. I'm hoping to find a way to get a slightly fluffier, airier crust. I'm also considering reducing the amount of tomato paste.in my sauce recipe for a slightly less intense tomato flavor. I had some Picasso's pizza over the weekend that was light, fluffy with a sweeter sauce that was amazing.

wordpress