A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Proofing in Oven  (Read 263 times)

Offline Robenco15

• I Love Pizza!
Proofing in Oven
« on: May 04, 2020, 02:59:43 PM »
A friend asked if I did this and it was the first Ive heard of it. I just checked and my oven seems to slowly increase to around 100F over 4 hours Id estimate. That seems too hot, but Im still learning so I wanted to ask.

Should I be using the proofing function? My kitchen can range from 67-73F. Right now proofing a dough for 18-24 hours and my kitchen is 73F. Tonight though it could drop to 66F.

Thoughts? Better to use proofing function with doughs that proof for shorter periods of time?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 03:46:29 PM by Robenco15 »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Proofing in Oven
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 04:27:08 PM »
Not better but sometimes convenient if your dough is underfermented and you want to use it soon. The problem is if you have one oven you cant be preheating it as you should if the dough is on proof cycle. Most dough proof cycles have a low and a high setting. Low has been plenty for me the few times I have used it. Many people here just put the dough in the oven and just turn the oven light on. Seems like theyve said it runs about 85. I would be leery of100 or more.

Edit: Specifically, Id say leave it out tonight and catch it up, if necessary to hit the part of your projected 18-24 hrs, by using proof cycle tomorrow if you need to.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 04:30:22 PM by foreplease »
-Tony

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 04:33:44 PM »
Oven light does the trick for me in winter.  It is about 85, and I usually set my stone up there too to retain heat. In time it can start to warm up too much though, but that has worked for me time and again.
Reesa

Offline Robenco15

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 04:36:31 PM »
Thank you! Sounds good. Maybe Ill use it here and there.

Offline Robenco15

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 08:58:00 AM »
Checked my dough after 18 hours and felt like it could use more. Kitchen went from 73 to 66 overnight so I threw it in the oven with proofing turned on for the next 4 hours. Good tool to have.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 11:36:48 AM »
Checked my dough after 18 hours and felt like it could use more. Kitchen went from 73 to 66 overnight so I threw it in the oven with proofing turned on for the next 4 hours. Good tool to have.
Keep an eye on it. You might be surprised what happens in one hour. There is a carryover effect after you take it out of the oven too.
-Tony