A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Inverted's Pie Barn  (Read 79208 times)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Re: Inverted's Pie Barn
« Reply #1300 on: June 07, 2019, 12:21:46 PM »
Ran some DiNapoli crushed through the food mill with fine plate for a great NY base. Seasoned with some powdered Parmesan Reggianito, oregano (I'm doing a 75-25 oregano-marjoram blend) and a few razor thin slices of fresh garlic from half of a small clove; tasty pie!

the proof is in the pizza

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1301 on: June 07, 2019, 07:31:53 PM »
Ran some DiNapoli crushed through the food mill with fine plate for a great NY base. Seasoned with some powdered Parmesan Reggianito, oregano (I'm doing a 75-25 oregano-marjoram blend) and a few razor thin slices of fresh garlic from half of a small clove; tasty pie!

Beautiful slice Ryan! Really like the melt, seasoning sounds good, and the rim looks like one I'd gladly eat  :)

I assume you like what the marjoram is bringing? I've been messing around with a pre-packed blend that includes marjoram, and have liked it.

Edit: just saw your post about avoiding a dimpled melt on the dough doctor's board. Did you try a cooler, broiler-less bake? I've seen alot of pizzeria pies where the cheese is almost just melted. That has tempted me to try a stone 'ceiling' again, though I don't think that's the melt I'm after anyway. In any event, did you do anything to change the melt? It looks good.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 09:32:44 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1302 on: June 08, 2019, 10:30:00 AM »
Beautiful slice Ryan! Really like the melt, seasoning sounds good, and the rim looks like one I'd gladly eat  :)

I assume you like what the marjoram is bringing? I've been messing around with a pre-packed blend that includes marjoram, and have liked it.

Edit: just saw your post about avoiding a dimpled melt on the dough doctor's board. Did you try a cooler, broiler-less bake? I've seen alot of pizzeria pies where the cheese is almost just melted. That has tempted me to try a stone 'ceiling' again, though I don't think that's the melt I'm after anyway. In any event, did you do anything to change the melt? It looks good.

Hey thanks Matt!
I noticed the oregano dusted pizzas at my favorite local joint have a more complex flavor, with less bitter notes than most retail oregano I've come across. The marjoram addition was inspired by some research on Sicilian oregano.

O. x majoricum Italian (aka: Sicilian)
Italian or Sicilian Oregano is a hybrid of sweet marjoram with wild marjoram. It is also known as Hardy Sweet Marjoram, but it is only hardy to zone 7. Both Therese Meissler of Shady Acres Herb Farm and Susan Belsinger recommend Italian Oregano as a favorite in cooking. This is THE oregano to use in Italian recipes that require simmering, such as in marinara sauces. Its flavor is the combination of its parents warm and spicy, yet sweet and fragrant.

http://www.madisonherbsociety.org/herbofyear/2005_OreganoMarjoram.htm

I first tried a 50-50 blend, but I think that was a bit too floral, so I'm hovering around 75-25 right now. I still need to try some of the real deal Sicilian stuff online; but this is working out pretty well in the mean time.

Yeah, in lieu of running the broiler, for this one I placed the stone on the second to highest rack tier at 550. Pie was still cooking faster on the bottom so I screened it during the last couple minutes of the bake; I may stick with 500F next time with the same rack position.

Used somewhat of a Walter approach to this sauce, turned out nice - I froze the rest of it so I'll try it again on my next pie.

I used 6 oz of Mozzarella on this pizza, I'm liking this cheese - I tasted it unmelted and thought it was pretty flavorful for a mozzarella, has a bit more tang than some of the others I've tried.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1303 on: June 12, 2019, 11:46:17 AM »
Local slice

Offline DreamingOfPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1304 on: June 13, 2019, 01:50:13 AM »
 Yum, looks tasty! Yours look better though ;D

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Inverted's Pie Barn
« Reply #1305 on: June 15, 2019, 10:51:34 PM »
Another cold fermented 12 incher, same formula I've been doing for these.

Pepperoni and Olive
DiNapoli Crushed; food mill/fine plate
Oregano, garlic, black pepper
6 oz mozzarella
Nice handful of Reggianito cheese

Thanks for stopping by, pizza pals!

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1306 on: June 16, 2019, 11:16:07 AM »
Wow! You're locked in Ryan!!

Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1307 on: June 16, 2019, 06:08:25 PM »
Wow! You're locked in Ryan!!

Thank you sir!  :)

Got a can of 6-in-1 on deck for the next batch of pies to compare with the DiNapoli.

I'm making an extra dough this time so I can guarantee a classic cheese pizza in the line-up!
Hard to win the war with the topping heads so I'll just spin up an extra one  ;D

I'm thinking of going Pizza Suprema style with the hard cheese on my next batch  :pizza:

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Inverted's Pie Barn
« Reply #1308 on: June 22, 2019, 11:47:22 AM »
Twelve inch test pie.
Pretty good, but I used too much garlic in the sauce so the tomato flavor didn't come through as much as I wanted.

I think I might prefer the DiNapoli crushed over 6-in-1. Thinking about "thin vs watery" - next time I'm gonna drain the crushed tomatoes and then mill with the fine plate to compare consistencies. Was thinking of a thread Jon (Jackitup) posted about draining crushed tomatoes and how much water is actually in a can with no real body to it. I tasted the drained sauce which had been mixed with oil and seasoning the night before and it definitely had much more body and depth, though I think it was a tad too thick, so drain-then-mill will be my next test. I don't think it would be necessary in a roaring deck oven, but I don't think my thin pizza stone has quite the same moisture wicking capabilities, so gonna see how far I can push the thin but NOT watery concept, as I think my sauces were definitely thin, but a lot more watery than I may have realized. For me the goal is more tomato flavor per pizza, without getting a soggy crust or bleed-thru. Thinking maybe the flavor is just diluted from the high water content and doesn't actually need more salt.

Some of the pizza came out a little darker than I wanted on the bottom, this one baked really fast for some reason, right at 6 minutes.

6 oz mozz on this one from the slicing side of the box grater. Thanks for stopping by!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 11:49:23 AM by invertedisdead »

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1309 on: June 24, 2019, 06:43:07 PM »
16" pizza from my favorite local joint, one town over. Pepperoni with half mushroom and olive, cooked in a double deck Bakers Pride.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1310 on: June 30, 2019, 10:58:03 PM »
Couple twelve inchers hot off the stone!
DiNapoli crushed ran through the food mill with fine plate
Dietz & Watson stick pepperoni, same plus banana peppers on pie two, and a classic cheese to round it out.
10 minutes @500F

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #1311 on: July 01, 2019, 02:44:15 PM »
Couple twelve inchers hot off the stone!
DiNapoli crushed ran through the food mill with fine plate
Dietz & Watson stick pepperoni, same plus banana peppers on pie two, and a classic cheese to round it out.
10 minutes @500F

Nice work, Inverted!  :chef:
Jeff

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1312 on: July 02, 2019, 01:23:07 PM »
Wow!!

Matt

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1313 on: July 03, 2019, 09:18:31 AM »
Fabulous Ryan!
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1314 on: July 03, 2019, 11:30:37 AM »
Cheers friends!  :chef:

I'm thinking of trying some red tops next, with sliced mozz down first  8)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1315 on: July 09, 2019, 02:14:40 PM »
Cranked the oven to 550 last night and jammed out a few 12 inchers. 65% hydration dough with 4 or 5 days in the fridge.

Just did crushed tomatoes through the food mill with salt, pepper, EVOO, and basil. Nice scoop of Reggianito and oregano when building the pie. Came out pretty good! Cheers pizza pals

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #1316 on: July 09, 2019, 02:33:21 PM »
Looking good!

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #1317 on: July 09, 2019, 05:23:23 PM »
Jeff

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1318 on: Yesterday at 10:47:24 PM »
Was craving a nice thin crust pizza after seeing recent posts from Hans and some others.  This really good for a change, might have to take a dive down a thin and crispy rabbit hole!

Also made a small red top with the same dough. Cheers!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #1319 on: Yesterday at 11:29:50 PM »
Very nice! I can't go too long without having a thin crust pizza.
Hans