A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Inverted's Pie Barn  (Read 83030 times)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Re: Inverted's Pie Barn
« Reply #1340 on: August 10, 2019, 09:23:40 PM »
Thin and crispy dough ball from the last batch, cooked this one on stone - much better!

This one had some good pizzeria flavors!

Same sauce, mozz and provolone (3 oz each) pepperoni and banana peppers.

the proof is in the pizza

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1341 on: August 10, 2019, 11:12:16 PM »
Looks great, Ryan. Did you change temperature or bake time going from a pan to the stone?
-Tony

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1342 on: August 11, 2019, 12:38:15 AM »
Looks great, Ryan. Did you change temperature or bake time going from a pan to the stone?

Thanks Tony! Love those party cut thin crust pizzas :)

I baked this one at 450F on stone on the bottom rack for 13 minutes. The one in the pan I believe was baked at 500 for 15 minutes.

Gonna keep messing with these!

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1343 on: August 17, 2019, 11:12:49 PM »
Midwest style thin & crispy on the chopping block tonight! Baked the first one for 10 minutes @ 500F, second one for 15 min @ 450F... not sure which one came out better! these party cut pies got devoured though!

Sauce was 28oz Cento puree with salt, pepper, sugar, and 1 clove sliced garlic.

5 oz cheese: 3 oz Tillamook mozzarella, 2 oz Primo Taglio provolone

Whipped up some fresh Italian sausage, ran short on fennel seed but this fresh basil on my patio is extremely fennel-y, minced some of that up to throw in the mix and I thought it came out pretty darn good!

Cheers pizza pals!

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1344 on: August 18, 2019, 12:06:53 AM »
I like the bake you put on those, especially pic 2 & 4.
-Tony

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1346 on: August 19, 2019, 12:18:08 AM »
Cheers friends!
These party cut pizzas were fantastic, already craving another matching pair!  :-D

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1347 on: August 19, 2019, 08:28:19 PM »
Holy moly Ryan. Sauce below, correct? If yes, how in the world did you get that melt?!?

(Pic 1 is the one for me)
Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1348 on: August 20, 2019, 11:58:26 AM »
Holy moly Ryan. Sauce below, correct? If yes, how in the world did you get that melt?!?

(Pic 1 is the one for me)

Cheers Matt! I was definitely thinking about our melt conversations with these pizzas. What's interesting is how similar it came out to that really thin 17" slice pie with the nice melt I was chasing for a while, especially since they both used a thicker puree base, as opposed to the rather thin sauces we've chased for NY style. I definitely went liberal with the sauce for this style, which is exactly how I like it!  ;D

So perhaps just having a good amount of sauce on the pie to begin with may be part of achieving that kind of melt? This dough is quite a bit thinner than a typical NY dough so I'm not sure if a thicker crust likes a thinner sauce or vice versa - but I am intrigued with the results of the melt!

Yeah sauce below cheese with these pies, provolone slices and grated mozz, but I think I'll be switching to straight deli slices for this style; without much of a rim to contain the cheese and toppings, the thin deli slices do a real nice job of "hugging the pizza" when launching to stone.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1349 on: August 21, 2019, 07:27:05 PM »
I do think that more sauce and thinner crust help achieve that melt...but I'm still surprised that you get that with a thick sauce. Whatever it is, keep doing it  :chef:

Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1350 on: August 22, 2019, 12:00:54 AM »
I do think that more sauce and thinner crust help achieve that melt...but I'm still surprised that you get that with a thick sauce. Whatever it is, keep doing it  :chef:

Thanks Matt!

I've been thinking about these pizzas every day since I made them, might have to go for a Friday bake cause I'm craving thin crust pizza! I thought this last pair were some of the best pizzas I've ever made. Got dough in the fridge, I might make the sauce tomorrow because this style seems to benefit from a little marinating of flavors.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #1352 on: August 22, 2019, 10:34:15 AM »
Ryan, which formula have you settled on?
Hans

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1353 on: August 22, 2019, 12:30:53 PM »
Ryan, which formula have you settled on?

Cheers Hans,

I'm using one from BobGraff's Tommy's clone thread, which I believe was posted by TedCholl.

100% all purpose flour
45% filtered water
6% fat (I'm using refined coconut oil)
1.5% sea salt
1.5% cane sugar
.5% ADY

I believe they are using more yeast than me (1-1.5%) - it's been pretty warm in CA so I did dial that back a bit. I feel like the process behind these laminated skins is so foreign compared to other genres of pizza that it's going to take me a bit to settle on a workflow. All of my precious crackers were following Fazzari's protocol, but Bob and Ted have been enjoying success with a pretty different workflow, so I'm jus trying to make sense of it all!

To be honest I'm still not quite sure what the difference is between a thin n crispy and a cracker crust. I like to cook what I consider "thin n crispy" pies until they leave "cracker crumbs" from the crispness.

I have about a .07TF calculated to account for waste after cutting the skins from the mass of sheeted dough. I got 3 skins out of the formula in the photo (ignore the single ball weight) but my thin crusts are pretty thin. I'm so used to weighing dough balls that it's interesting to do this die-cut method. 

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 12:35:27 PM by invertedisdead »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #1354 on: August 22, 2019, 03:31:12 PM »
Thanks, I'll give those amounts a try. Before I started making pizza, thin crust was about all I ordered. Still my favorite style to make.
Hans

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1355 on: August 24, 2019, 01:45:50 PM »
Sausage and shrooms on the chopping block last night! Got some good laminations and the crisp factor was strong with this one!

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1356 on: August 27, 2019, 12:40:47 PM »
Beautiful Ryan, what’s your workflow on that ?
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1357 on: August 29, 2019, 11:24:03 AM »
Beautiful Ryan, what’s your workflow on that ?

Cheers QD!
For that laminated crisper I did a 100% hydration poolish with all the formulas water and yeast.
Let that ripen, then churned the final dough in my food processor - less than a minute. It comes out slightly crumbly so I gave it just a few hand kneads on the bench to smooth it out. I let the dough rest for 20-30 minutes and then rolled it out into a thin sheet, which I laminated into about 6 layers I believe. Then into the refrigerator in bulk for a night. The next day I pulled the bulk dough from the fridge and let acclimate for ~20 minutes to facilitate easier rolling, this is the sheet the skins will be cut from.

Here's a tip I figured out last time for this - you want to roll it out in a sheet that is as wide as the diameter of your pizza, and direct most of your attention to making the sheet long; just like a commercial sheeter. If you try to make a big square you won't be able to get 3 skins out of the same batch of dough. Once your dough is sheeted to desired thickness, trim your skins (I used the silicone lid from my big Pyrex bowl as a template and traced with a pizza cutter) stack the skin in parchment paper and cover for one more night of cold fermenting in the fridge. When ready to bake you can cook right out of the fridge; dock if desired and slide directly onto your preheated baking surface at 450-500F. I think I like 450 for these, low and slow to get the crunch factor!

Next time I bake these I might skip the bulk CF to simplify things, only thing is the pre-sheeted skins take up a little bit of room in the fridge.

Also a puree base seems to be the sauce ticket for these  ;)

Offline SuperTz

« Reply #1358 on: September 10, 2019, 01:13:27 PM »
Midwest style thin & crispy on the chopping block tonight! Baked the first one for 10 minutes @ 500F, second one for 15 min @ 450F... not sure which one came out better! these party cut pies got devoured though!

Sauce was 28oz Cento puree with salt, pepper, sugar, and 1 clove sliced garlic.

5 oz cheese: 3 oz Tillamook mozzarella, 2 oz Primo Taglio provolone

Whipped up some fresh Italian sausage, ran short on fennel seed but this fresh basil on my patio is extremely fennel-y, minced some of that up to throw in the mix and I thought it came out pretty darn good!

Cheers pizza pals!

Wow those look like Vito and Nicks.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1359 on: September 10, 2019, 04:39:49 PM »

Wow those look like Vito and Nicks.

Thank you!!

Those were some of my best pizzas ever.

wordpress