A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Inverted's Pie Barn  (Read 79323 times)

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: Inverted's Pie Barn
« Reply #1260 on: December 03, 2018, 08:33:27 PM »
Pie from last night.

Looks like a perfect bake Ryan! Really like that melt where the cheese has some browning yet isn't pulverized.
Matt

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1261 on: December 03, 2018, 09:59:20 PM »
Looks like a perfect bake Ryan! Really like that melt where the cheese has some browning yet isn't pulverized.

Thanks Matt  :) this was a pretty wild pie. 24 hour room temp ferment, American style thickness factor, perforated cutter pan bake, fresh mozz/basil/garlic under the part skim. Not sure what I was going for, but good pie  :-D Haven't had sausage on a pizza in a while, forgot how different (good) that can be.
the proof is in the pizza

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1262 on: March 15, 2019, 10:24:38 PM »
Second bake on my 16" aluminum pizza pan. Baked this one on the bottom rack. 570g dough ball, .1 TF 3 day CF
Pepperoni, mushroom, and black olive. First time trying Hormel Rosa Grande pepperoni : gotta say pretty good stuff! Will probably become my go-to.

I'm oblivious - popped into an Italian Deli in town today and found a nice little stock of pizza supplies, not sure how I missed this gem!  They were able to slice the Rosa Grande for me on the Hobart which I definitely like, will probably be my new go-to spot for pizza making.

Sauce was DiNapoli whole peeled which I also picked up from the deli today, along with some 6-in-1's to finally try. WP tomatoes were drained, rinsed, and milled. Added some fresh minced basil, dried oregano, pinch of crushed red pepper flakes and some powdered hard cheese.

Mozz was also from the deli, can't recall the brand name but it was new to me, I'll check next visit. My cheese blend was 80% mozzarella, 20% Asiago. 10 oz on these 16" pies. Thanks for looking pizza pals, Happy Friday!

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1263 on: March 16, 2019, 09:46:06 AM »
ryan, that's a beauty! is it a 16-inch pizza pan or a pizza screen?

best,
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Offline goosta

« Reply #1264 on: March 16, 2019, 10:00:23 AM »
Looks amazing!  :drool:

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1265 on: March 16, 2019, 11:59:49 AM »
ryan, that's a beauty! is it a 16-inch pizza pan or a pizza screen?

best,

Thanks QD! It's this pan - https://www.webstaurantstore.com/american-metalcraft-a4016-16-x-1-standard-weight-aluminum-straight-sided-pizza-pan/124A4016.html

I have a 17" screen I used for many bakes but I think for my electric oven, the solid bottom is giving me a more consistent bake.

Looks amazing!  :drool:

Thank you sir!  :chef:

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1266 on: March 16, 2019, 12:15:41 PM »
I feel like you're teasing me here Ryan. Let's see some pics of it party cut  ;D

You see a difference when you rinse the tomato? I've never tried that.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 12:18:06 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1267 on: March 16, 2019, 01:06:48 PM »
I feel like you're teasing me here Ryan. Let's see some pics of it party cut  ;D

You see a difference when you rinse the tomato? I've never tried that.

I think I'm gonna cue up a lower HR dough next time and do a party cut pie! One of the reasons I bought this pan is I thought it would be pretty versatile for a few different styles.
These ones are a little more puffy, leaning towards American style but the dough is only enriched as much as NY style.

I almost went for the 16"x16" California Pizza Stone which I noticed you just picked up! And I still might if I get bored of this pan; I was getting tired of my screen bakes, took a short break from making pizza and started eating at a local joint I used to enjoy years back, they do a nice stone baked pie from a Bakers Pride double deck. (Looks like Y600's) Their pizza doesn't really seem NY style, a bit thicker dough, perhaps to hold up to higher amounts of toppings. I watched the pizza man make some pies last week while I was waiting, the dough is mostly knuckle stretched in the air, the largest size is a 16" - it looked like they were bringing dough tins straight from the walk-in to the make table but I'll have to ask about that, it was extremely busy. Seeing all those people in line really inspired me to want to make pizza again, and it really confirmed for me that people truly love and are willing to pay a premium for a stone baked pie. In a sea of conveyor ovens there's pretty much no competition for this pizzeria. And after watching the oven tender... I think people exaggerate the amount of work required to run a deck oven, yeah it's more than a conveyor, no doubt, but it doesn't seem any more complicated than cooking anything else in a commercial environment. And the results of a deck bake speak for themselves  :chef:

It looked like their setup was one guy opening doughs half way, and then the head honcho was knuckle stretching them the rest of the way, topping, and launching, with a tender on the ovens doing the turning, boxing, and cutting. It's a really small kitchen too, the double deck is right behind the make-table.

Anyways, I've been enjoying eating other pizza lately, and my stone baked urges are being met (for now  >:D ) so I'm on to these new pan pizza experiments!  ;D

As for the rinsed tomato, I think that was the first time I ever tried, read about it a bit, notably from Varasano so figured I'd give it a go, but not enough thoughts as to whether it's a real improvement or not.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1268 on: March 17, 2019, 02:45:54 PM »
Great stuff. I forgot your party cut experience was in the thin & crispy world. As a former New Englander I can tell you it works on thicker pies too  :)

There are many aspects of pizzerias that I enjoy, one of which is the choreography you described. It's like watching a play.

Matt

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1269 on: March 29, 2019, 10:01:15 PM »
12" stone baked pie.
Fresh mozzarella, tomato sauce, pepperoni, oregano, parmesan.

Happy Friday pizza pals! Hope there's a slice in your future

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #1270 on: March 30, 2019, 03:27:35 PM »
12" stone baked pie.
Fresh mozzarella, tomato sauce, pepperoni, oregano, parmesan.

Happy Friday pizza pals! Hope there's a slice in your future

Awesome  :chef:
Jeff

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1271 on: March 30, 2019, 04:21:15 PM »
Looking good! What'd you think of the stone?

Matt

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1272 on: March 30, 2019, 06:32:41 PM »
Thanks you all!

Looking good! What'd you think of the stone?

It's the way  ;D

Love that char on the undercrust  :chef:

Did a room temp ferment yesterday which I thought was quite good too!

This fresh mozzarella has the perfect consistency for hand slicing, worked great on pizza! Think I'll have to make a classic cheese pie very soon to use up the last of it!

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1273 on: May 13, 2019, 12:20:52 PM »
16" cracker crust pizza from yesterday

12 oz Polly-O. I used Saporito as my sauce base but added a bit too much water, paired with this cheese the pie didn't turn out quite as crunchy as I wanted, but I liked the direction - should have just used Saputo Gold though.

Offline DreamingOfPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1274 on: May 18, 2019, 04:27:52 AM »
Your pies are amazing. I need to spend more time on this side of the forum. Been living in the NY section and have ignored everything else.

Online Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #1275 on: May 18, 2019, 07:57:45 AM »
Second bake on my 16" aluminum pizza pan. Baked this one on the bottom rack. 570g dough ball, .1 TF 3 day CF
Pepperoni, mushroom, and black olive. First time trying Hormel Rosa Grande pepperoni : gotta say pretty good stuff! Will probably become my go-to.

I'm oblivious - popped into an Italian Deli in town today and found a nice little stock of pizza supplies, not sure how I missed this gem!  They were able to slice the Rosa Grande for me on the Hobart which I definitely like, will probably be my new go-to spot for pizza making.

Sauce was DiNapoli whole peeled which I also picked up from the deli today, along with some 6-in-1's to finally try. WP tomatoes were drained, rinsed, and milled. Added some fresh minced basil, dried oregano, pinch of crushed red pepper flakes and some powdered hard cheese.

Mozz was also from the deli, can't recall the brand name but it was new to me, I'll check next visit. My cheese blend was 80% mozzarella, 20% Asiago. 10 oz on these 16" pies. Thanks for looking pizza pals, Happy Friday!
You baked without a stone correct?
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1276 on: May 18, 2019, 09:10:43 AM »
Beautiful bakes Ryan!  :chef:
A wondrous sweet

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1277 on: May 18, 2019, 09:32:31 AM »
Your pies are amazing. I need to spend more time on this side of the forum. Been living in the NY section and have ignored everything else.

Thank you very much!  :chef:

You baked without a stone correct?

Correct! My stone broke recently, it's still my favorite way to cook a pizza though.

Beautiful bakes Ryan!  :chef:

Thanks a lot QD! Hope you've been well  :chef:

Online Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #1278 on: May 18, 2019, 09:59:58 AM »
Thank you very much!  :chef:

Correct! My stone broke recently, it's still my favorite way to cook a pizza though.

Thanks a lot QD! Hope you've been well  :chef:
What are your bake times and temps? Just might get back into pizza making since aluminum screens are cheap.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1279 on: May 18, 2019, 12:31:18 PM »
mr, if the cost of a stone is keeping you away from pizza baking, I have an extra I picked up at a garage sale for a couple of bucks.  pm me your address and I'll send it your way!
A wondrous sweet

wordpress