A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: MY attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza clone  (Read 11852 times)

Offline 333meg

• Surprisingly pizza obsession has not made me fat.
Re: MY attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza clone
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2018, 05:54:36 PM »
I can't wait to hear how the high gluten experiments go. I like in the description it states thin crust pizza specifically...
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2018, 10:14:53 AM »
Mixed the dough yesterday and did the four hour bulk ferment. I had to add a bit more water as the flour wasn't picking up as well as AP flour has in the past. Took about 8 minutes to fully mix on my KA at setting #2.

The flour rose waaaay more than AP flour. Also, I have been measuring out the Manceta in a plastic measuring cup and microwaving it for a minute to melt it. I got the idea from a Cuban bread recipe I use. Before, I had issues getting all of the Manceta out of the container and implement I was using to get it out. I do the melting first thing so by the time I add it to the flour / salt / IDY / sugar, it isn't too hot. I wonder if it helps with the IDY.

This pic is of the dough after the four hour bulk ferment:

Tommy's pizza fan. Trying to emulate Tommy's using Aimless Ryan's recipe

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2018, 01:21:36 PM »
Did the high gluten, malted, and enriched flour experiment yesterday. I mixed the dough on Friday and proofed it until 10 yesterday morning. I let the dough sit under plastic wrap for two hours then rolled it out. The dough weighed 1256 grams, usually it is 1228 grams. I attribute that to the extra water I had to add to get the flour picked up while mixing. Each dough ball was 314 grams.

The rolling out was a bit difficult as the dough seemed very elastic and didn't stick as well as it did with AP flour. I did the initial rolling but my son did the rolling to make the two skins.

I decided more is better so I just split the one lb. Ezzo between the two pies, more than the 161 grams Ryan suggests. I preheated the oven at 550F for 70 minutes. Per 333Meg, I put the skins on the two stones for exactly one minute. Pulled the skins and dressed them out. I turned the oven off and back on to see the temp loss and it was only 15 degrees. Recovered in a few minutes.

The end result was very good. The middle pieces were crispy. I had made the sauce the day before for the first time and put it in the fridge overnight. I took a stem of fresh basil and left it in the sauce all night and discarded before saucing the pies. 

The first pic is after dressing. Looks like way too much pepperoni but it does shrink a bit (that's what she said!)

The secod pic shows the lamination

The third pic is a closeup of the pepperoni with some pools of grease (yummy)

The fourth pic is of one of the pies

The fifth pic shows the bottom of the crust

Online bobgraff

• Supporting Member
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2018, 10:39:59 PM »
That's one excellent pizza! 

How do you think that crust compares to your regular one, in terms of flavor and crispiness?

Also - did I hear correctly that you are baking in a convection oven?

Nice work!
Bob

"I learn each day what I need to know to do tomorrow’s work." - Arnold Toynbee

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2018, 04:51:01 PM »
That's one excellent pizza! 

How do you think that crust compares to your regular one, in terms of flavor and crispiness?

Also - did I hear correctly that you are baking in a convection oven?

Nice work!

The taste was roughly the same but I need to make more to see if I can discern a difference. Didn't really taste much malt, I was kinda surprised there. It was definitely more crunchy, especially the middle pieces.

I have a Samsung oven that goes to 550F and I do use the convection setting 

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2018, 03:30:00 PM »
Big news!! Got a Uuni 3 for Fathers Day! Will try it out this coming week. It gets to 932F so I am guessing it will cook VERY quickly. Their website says it cooks a Neapolitan pizza in 60 seconds. Should be interesting. The oven maxes out at 13" so I may have enough dough for three pies per batch of Tommy's dough. Just need to get a 12-13" pan to use as a template

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2018, 10:19:34 PM »
Assembled the Uuni 3 today. Took a hour to do a ten minute job. To say I am mechanically challenged is a gross understatement. The directions were just pictures. I had three screws left over; not sure why. I put the Uuni on a piece of plywood on a plastic table. Seemed to be OK. I had gone to Lowe's to get hardwood pellets. They only had a 40 lb. bag for $15 so I got those. I should have gone to the feed store and bought Traegar pellets. Used a blow torch to start the pellets. I followed the instruction, slowly filling the hopper. I used my IR thermometer to see the temp of the surface of the stone in the unit. I had an issue getting a pic with one hand while temping with the other. I was pretty shocked to see 932F right out of the gate.

I made dough tonight and will make three pies on Monday. I make 4 307g balls typically but the Uuni 3 can only do a 13" pie so I plan on making 6 205g portions

Pictured is my IR thermometer

Offline Little bean

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • DiLauro’s Pizzeria
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2018, 11:43:42 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2018, 08:02:26 PM »
Did the high gluten, malted, and enriched flour experiment yesterday. I mixed the dough on Friday and proofed it until 10 yesterday morning. I let the dough sit under plastic wrap for two hours then rolled it out. The dough weighed 1256 grams, usually it is 1228 grams. I attribute that to the extra water I had to add to get the flour picked up while mixing. Each dough ball was 314 grams.

The rolling out was a bit difficult as the dough seemed very elastic and didn't stick as well as it did with AP flour. I did the initial rolling but my son did the rolling to make the two skins.

I decided more is better so I just split the one lb. Ezzo between the two pies, more than the 161 grams Ryan suggests. I preheated the oven at 550F for 70 minutes. Per 333Meg, I put the skins on the two stones for exactly one minute. Pulled the skins and dressed them out. I turned the oven off and back on to see the temp loss and it was only 15 degrees. Recovered in a few minutes.

The end result was very good. The middle pieces were crispy. I had made the sauce the day before for the first time and put it in the fridge overnight. I took a stem of fresh basil and left it in the sauce all night and discarded before saucing the pies. 

The first pic is after dressing. Looks like way too much pepperoni but it does shrink a bit (that's what she said!)

The secod pic shows the lamination

The third pic is a closeup of the pepperoni with some pools of grease (yummy)

The fourth pic is of one of the pies

The fifth pic shows the bottom of the crust

Wow!  :drool:
the proof is in the pizza

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2018, 04:14:24 PM »
Used the Uuni 3 for my last cook, using the HG flour. Results were mediocre. There is going to be a learning curve for this platform for sure. My first issue was getting a 12" pie. I don't have anything to use to cut around so I free cut it and the resulting skin looked like it. My next mistake was dressing the pie on the Uuni peel. Even with cornmeal, it stuck big time. The launch wasn't good. I lifted the skin and broke it loose and finally got it onto the stone. Set the timer for 45 seconds and checked it when the timer went off. The side closest to the fire was burnt big time. I rotated the pie 180 degrees and cooked another 30 seconds. That side was not charred much. The second pie was marginally better. The third pie I put in for 30 seconds before rotating 90 degrees. Did that twice more, should have done it once more. 30 seconds with 3 turns will be my M.O. next cook. I also plan on trying my hand at Neapolitan pizza, the type this oven was designed for. Looking at Neapolitan dough recipes, I see no sugar, which tells me it wouldn't burn as easily. I may decrease the sugar the next time I do the Tommy's clone.

The first pic is the temp of the stone, 739F

The second pic is the pie on the Uuni peel

The third pic is looking into the oven

The fourth pic is of the first pies edge that got charred

The fifth pic is of the first pie

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2018, 04:21:05 PM »
More pics:

The first pic is of the third pie. Crust not crispy enough

The second pic is of the second pie after cooking. A slight char on the edges is visible

The third pic is of the second pie's crust, was crispy

wordpress