A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: I love this little spoon!  (Read 1968 times)

Offline petef

I love this little spoon!
« on: August 07, 2016, 04:28:36 AM »
It's funny, because something so simple as this spoon has made my pizza making more enjoyable. I'm talking about the top spoon in pic below.

The handle is long so it doesn't fall into the pot of sauce like a regular teaspoon does. That was so annoying!  The spoon part is smaller than a regular teaspoon which makes it perfect for splashing spots of sauce over top of the cheese. It's just the perfect size for the job and it handles so nicely.

In addition to pizza making, this little spoon comes in handy for getting things out of tall jars, like when you need a little bit of salsa for a Taco or an olive or whatever. .

I found it at a fleamarket for $1. 
Best buy of the year!

Do you you have an especially useful or favorite utensil or gadget used for pizza making?  Tell us about it.

-pete-

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 04:32:01 AM by petef »

Offline sub

Re: I love this little spoon!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 04:47:42 AM »

Do you you have an especially useful or favorite utensil or gadget used for pizza making?  Tell us about it.

My dough scraper, usefull for making the dough and remove dough ball from the plastic container.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 01:04:51 PM »
pete,

I am fond of my set of mini measuring spoons such as shown below. Here are the conversions:

Drop = 1/64 teaspoon
Smidgen = 1/32 teaspoon
Pinch = 1/16 teaspoon
Dash = 1/8 teaspoon
Tad = 1/4 teaspoon

Also, several years ago, several members posted on some of their favorite gadgets and techniques at the time related to pizza making. The thread is at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1508.msg13749#msg13749

Peter

Offline 333meg

• Surprisingly pizza obsession has not made me fat.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 03:36:48 PM »
I made this long handled tool in order to tap the bubbles that form as a cracker style pizza bakes, I had previously used a grill fork but that didn't work very well because the fork tines are straight a and it's too short. I came up with the idea after I watched a Tommy's Pizza in Columbus, Ohio (UA Location) bake, as it rolled along the conveyor oven a person was standing at the opening and as the pizza passed by them they were tapping the bubbles that formed. As far as I know they do not pre-dock the pizzas. I call my tool a long handled pizza docker!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 03:38:59 PM by 333meg »
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 04:58:59 PM »
I've got a few of these plastic (nylon?) condiment spreaders, I use them all the time.  They aren't the greatest for scraping liquids out of bowls because of the rounded end, but besides that they are great and have nice long handles. For pizza I use one to scrape the scraper in my DLX mixer and for generally poking, prodding, and manipulating the dough during the early stages of mixing when things are still trying to come together.
Carl

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 08:01:06 PM »
The Cheese Knife. By far the best knife I have owned for cheese. Works great on hard or soft cheeses.
Hans

Offline petef

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 10:39:58 PM »
pete,

I am fond of my set of mini measuring spoons such as shown below. Here are the conversions:

Drop = 1/64 teaspoon
Smidgen = 1/32 teaspoon
Pinch = 1/16 teaspoon
Dash = 1/8 teaspoon
Tad = 1/4 teaspoon

I'm so glad you mentioned this. I was contemplating buying these spoons from Amazon, but not a single vendor defined the equivalent teaspoons as you did above. Now I'll definitely buy a set. THANK YOU for being so precise.

-pete-

Offline AnatoliyGarayda

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 05:28:40 PM »
This discussion website is really helpful for the pizza lovers including pizza makers like me. This thread is having full of knowledge which will be useful for the pizza maker. I knew the utensil but was not aware about the best place to buy it. Thanks Petef for discussion.

Offline petef

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 05:39:43 AM »
Pete-zaa, thanks to you for suggesting the mini spoon measures. I purchased a set from Amazon and made one slight modification, adding a label to show equivalent fractional and decimal amounts for quick & easy reference.

To make a similar label, copy & paste the info below into your word processor.
Set font to Courier New (a propertional font) for best alignment results.
Font size to 14, BOLD for easiest on the eyes.

Print it, cover both sides with clear packing tape, and cut it out.
Punch or cut a small hole, add the paper clip which detaches
when you need to wash the spoons.

TAD...... 1/4 ts, 0.25 ts
DASH..... 1/8 ts, 0.125 ts
PINCH... 1/16 ts, 0.0625 ts
SMIGEN.. 1/32 ts, 0.03126 ts
DROP.... 1/64 ts, 0.015625 ts

-pete-

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 06:22:20 AM »
I have this set of measuring spoons , they have all the tiny ones and are marked with the actual measurements.  They claim to be the most accurate.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y425JO/?tag=pmak-20

Deb

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 08:53:14 AM »
Pete-zaa, thanks to you for suggesting the mini spoon measures. I purchased a set from Amazon and made one slight modification, adding a label to show equivalent fractional and decimal amounts for quick & easy reference.

To make a similar label, copy & paste the info below into your word processor.
Set font to Courier New (a propertional font) for best alignment results.
Font size to 14, BOLD for easiest on the eyes.

Print it, cover both sides with clear packing tape, and cut it out.
Punch or cut a small hole, add the paper clip which detaches
when you need to wash the spoons.

TAD...... 1/4 ts, 0.25 ts
DASH..... 1/8 ts, 0.125 ts
PINCH... 1/16 ts, 0.0625 ts
SMIGEN.. 1/32 ts, 0.03126 ts
DROP.... 1/64 ts, 0.015625 ts

-pete-
pete,

What you propose is a great idea. However, you may want to correct the spelling of smidgen  ;D.

Peter

Offline Ovenray

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 09:40:58 AM »
The handle is long so it doesn't fall into the pot of sauce like a regular teaspoon does. That was so annoying!  The spoon part is smaller than a regular teaspoon which makes it perfect for splashing spots of sauce over top of the cheese. It's just the perfect size for the job and it handles so nicely.

In addition to pizza making, this little spoon comes in handy for getting things out of tall jars, like when you need a little bit of salsa for a Taco or an olive or whatever. .

I found it at a fleamarket for $1. 
Best buy of the year!

That is a good buy indeed, I was wanting one of those for some time but settled for a plastic version and became so familiar with it I always keep a few spares on the side :)

In fact it sits with my most valued kitchen stuff as it is the absolute best tool for eating desserts out of any dessert coupe. Cost was about 10 cents or so.

All things learned are taken into account.