A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sweets and Desserts  (Read 20591 times)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Re: Sweets and Desserts
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2016, 12:13:32 AM »
Brownies.  Simple, but decadent.  :)

Still one of the best. I think I'll make some tomorrow now.  :)
the proof is in the pizza

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2016, 01:01:29 PM »
Deep Dish Pecan Bourbon Pie - dry run for Thursday. The brief included a layer of chocolate ganache over the caramel and running down the sides, but that is probably going too far. :

Offline Ovenray

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2016, 06:17:17 PM »
Deep Dish Pecan Bourbon Pie - dry run for Thursday. The brief included a layer of chocolate ganache over the caramel and running down the sides, but that is probably going too far. :

I'm sure that looks irresistible to any sweet tooth, to me it does anyway, but its the caloric motherload really  :P
All things learned are taken into account.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2016, 06:29:22 PM »
I'm sure that looks irresistible to any sweet tooth, to me it does anyway, but its the caloric motherload really  :P

That's the idea. It's for a family member who must gain back weight lost due to illness.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2016, 06:40:05 PM »
That's the idea. It's for a family member who must gain back weight lost due to illness.

Looks good Bill.  I've decided to go for a Fig and Walnut Tart instead of the usual Pecan Pie.  The shock of the new...... :o

Been there with trying to get weight back on a loved one.  Best of luck.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 06:41:36 PM by parallei »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2016, 06:52:55 PM »
Thanks, Paul. I hope you post photos of your new pie - sounds great!

Offline waynesize

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2016, 10:23:33 PM »
Test run for the holidays.  Ginger snaps.  My ground ginger is getting a bit old. But, the cookies baked up well.  Made the kitchen smell wonderful.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2016, 03:19:23 PM »
Red chile caramel popcorn and cinnamon caramel corn. 

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2016, 04:18:54 PM »
Red chile caramel popcorn and cinnamon caramel corn.

How do you get it to come out that uniformly coated?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2016, 04:26:33 PM »
I made one of these a couple of weeks ago and decided to make another to bring to a family dinner.

"Torta de Santiago" - St. James Cake - AKA Almond Tart.  Powdered sugar and some creme fraiche on the side when served.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 04:54:52 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2016, 04:46:29 PM »
I made on of these a couple of weeks ago and decided to make another to bring to a family dinner.

"Torta de Santiago" - St. James Cake - AKA Almond Tart.  Powdered sugar and some creme fraiche on the side when served.

Goodness! :drool:

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2016, 05:11:44 PM »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2016, 06:18:55 PM »
How do you get it to come out that uniformly coated?

During the 30m bake, I pull it out of the oven every 10min and give the batch a good tossin'.

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2016, 10:54:15 PM »
Wow, some really fantastic looking sweets above!

This is "sweet rice & ricotta tart," something I have been wanting to try for a couple years. Today was a test run or Sunday after Thanksgiving for company we are expecting. I was mainly interested in taste, texture, and how close the recipe got me to the pictures in the video. Big success. i will make it a little neater Sunday and garnish with powdered sugar and orange zest. I had no orange blossom water so used a few drops of orange extract. No oranges here today so only the lemon zest went in. I made the pastry too, I may sweeten it slightly next time. Originally, I thought a bit of almond extract would enhance this but it is very nicely balanced as-is.

Video I used. My photos below.

-Tony

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Help Requested
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2016, 09:54:53 AM »
Do any of you have a gut feeling about whether or not cooking the rice for the dessert above in whole milk instead of water would be an improvement? If there is any chance of scorching, then I'm not interested. One of the breads I make calls for scalded milk and it tastes fine but it is only at temperature a few seconds. I do not have a rice cooker fwiw. I've only made rice pudding once, a long time ago, and it seems like that was cooked with milk. If it is any help, the sugar in this recipe is beaten into the egg yolks, not cooked with the rice.

Information posted before noon Saturday will be in time to help. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving.
-Tony

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Help Requested
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2016, 09:53:42 PM »
Do any of you have a gut feeling about whether or not cooking the rice for the dessert above in whole milk instead of water would be an improvement? If there is any chance of scorching, then I'm not interested. One of the breads I make calls for scalded milk and it tastes fine but it is only at temperature a few seconds. I do not have a rice cooker fwiw. I've only made rice pudding once, a long time ago, and it seems like that was cooked with milk. If it is any help, the sugar in this recipe is beaten into the egg yolks, not cooked with the rice.

Information posted before noon Saturday will be in time to help. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving.

My gut says, go for the whole milk or even half and half or cream. Cream would have the least chance of breaking, and it is dessert after all. Try a small batch or rice for a test run, it's cheap enough! Use a stainless thick, heavy bottomed skillet if you have one to help prevent scorching and a heat diffuser shield. Are you using any bourbon or brandy in it. Long time ago someone brought some bread or rice pudding to work that had a sweet, white, brandy or bourbon sauce that I could have rolled in like a dog! It really finished the dish, just awesome!!!!

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2016, 09:55:46 PM »
Ps.....if you go for the whole milk, don't let it boil, just a simmer at most to prevent the curdling/breaking
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2016, 12:55:08 PM »
Thanks, Jon. I think I will use the whole milk. I will be needing some anyway to make ricotta. Good point about not letting it boil.
-Tony

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2016, 06:40:34 PM »
No knead sticky buns.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2016, 07:48:24 PM »
No knead sticky buns.
Oh, but boy do I ever knead some of those!!!

wordpress