A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sweets and Desserts  (Read 29479 times)

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Sweets and Desserts
« Reply #420 on: November 15, 2020, 09:33:45 AM »
Chau,

Thanks for taking the time to post these recipes.  I usually add sieved ricotta to lighten my cheesecake batter, but will try the sour cream per your recipe.  I love a traditional graham cracker crust, but my all-time favorite is a shortcrust made with equal parts butter and cream cheese added to the flour. No sugar.  Provides a great contrast to the filling.

Rolls
Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #421 on: November 15, 2020, 11:04:51 AM »
Thanks Chau!

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #422 on: November 15, 2020, 11:25:19 AM »
Sure thing Bill!

Rolls I will give the shortcrust a try.   So it is equal parts butter, cream cheese, and flour? 33% each?

The sieve ricotta sounds good.  How much of that do you use relative to the cream cheese?  For my Basque burnt cheesecake, I use heavy cream onstead but sieved ricotta sounds great too. 

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #423 on: November 15, 2020, 03:01:02 PM »
Rolls I will give the shortcrust a try.   So it is equal parts butter, cream cheese, and flour? 33% each?

For two 9" cakes, the basic recipe for the shortcrust is:
  • A.P. Flour   2 cups (300g)
  • Kraft Philadelphia Original Cream Cheese   1 x 8 ounce brick (226g)
  • Butter   1/2 Pound (227g)
The original recipe uses the "creaming method", where the softened RT butter and RT cream cheese are creamed together with a whisk before half of the SIFTED flour is added to the mixing bowl and incorporated with a spatula.  Once this is done, the remaining flour can be added and incorporated into the mix.  Be careful not to overwork the dough which can toughen the final crust.  Chill the dough in the fridge for at least a couple of hours to facilitate rolling.  This dough is not rolled as thinly as would be used in a typical French tarte.  I would aim for about 4-5mm.

Other recipes I've seen use the same basic ingredients but bring them together using the "shortcrust method" or "sablée method", whereby the CHILLED butter and CHILLED cream cheese are cut into cubes and worked into the flour, but I've never used this method for cheesecake.

You can riff on the basic recipe by adding a pinch of salt and/or a couple tablespoons of sugar and other aromatics.  I find that the sugar is unnecessary because there is enough sweetness from the filling and the topping. 

Quote from: Jackie Tran
The sieve ricotta sounds good.  How much of that do you use relative to the cream cheese?  For my Basque burnt cheesecake, I use heavy cream onstead but sieved ricotta sounds great too.

There are no hard and fast rules as to the proportions of the ricotta to the cream cheese.  More ricotta = lighter filling; more cream cheese = denser/richer filling.  I tend to use more ricotta but equal quantities would be a good starting point.  I like to strain the ricotta overnight in the fridge and press it through a fine mesh sieve using a spatula.  I then cream it with the sugar and cream cheese in order to get rid of any residual graininess.  I then add the remaining ingredients (eggs, vanilla, lemon zest, etc.) accordingly.

Per the original recipe, the cake tins are lined with the shortcrust pastry, making sure to create a side wall.  The filling is added and the whole thing is baked at 350F (static mode) until it's done.  It will have a golden colour on top.  I don't see why the pastry shell could not be blind-baked in advance but in this recipe it's baked together with the filling.  No water bath is used in this recipe.  Once the cake is cooled and chilled, it must be topped with E.D Smith cherry pie filling.  Accept no substitutes! :)

My mother and aunt tinkered with this recipe over 50 years ago.  The idea was to come up with a dessert that was midway between a classic NY cheesecake and a traditional Italian "crostata di ricotta", which is typical of many parts of Italy, but especially the south.  I think they succeeded.  It is perhaps my favourite of all desserts, but I must concede that nostalgia plays a big part in this. . .

Rolls
Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #424 on: November 27, 2020, 06:25:17 PM »
Coffee walnut cake (I grind walnuts into  a powder to add to the taste)  with coffee buttercream frosting and candied walnuts

The cake container is older than I am.. by a decade or two   
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 06:47:22 PM by MadMatt »

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #425 on: November 27, 2020, 07:44:17 PM »
Most of my cakes are just simple equal amounts (roughly) of ingredients

4 large eggs (about 64 - 70g here)
250g flour
250g butter or margerine
250g sugar though I usually reduce mine a bit

I like the reverse creaming method where you beat  flour + sugar with the fat coating the flour its meant to help reduce gluten development and gives it a slightly different texture though you aren't  getting much air like you would by beating just the sugar and fat together so I  add a little extra baking powder.

then you just add in the wet ingredients like egg and any flavoring.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 07:49:23 PM by MadMatt »

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #426 on: November 27, 2020, 09:19:55 PM »
Made creme brulee donuts and they turned out great!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #427 on: November 27, 2020, 11:07:12 PM »
 :o

What temp did you fry them at?
Hans

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #428 on: November 28, 2020, 08:42:14 AM »
:o

What temp did you fry them at?

I didn't measure the temp but low med on the dial. 

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #429 on: November 28, 2020, 04:13:47 PM »
Made creme brulee donuts and they turned out great!

Dayum!

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #430 on: November 30, 2020, 11:04:25 PM »
This TG apple pie turned out fantastic.  Crust was dairy free (miyoko's salted vegan butter) rough puff with 50% vodka/water mix, and filling was based on Food Wishes' caramel apple (extra apples, wondra flour and squeeze of lime).  Apples a mix of pink lady and honey crisp.  Next time, I want to build up the crust a bit more, it was delicious.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #431 on: December 08, 2020, 12:33:53 PM »
Peanut Butter Bon Bons - aka Buckeyes
Wife makes these every year at Christmas time and sends them to the kids.
I make sure to hide some for me.  :-D

Center is made from graham cracker crumbs, peanut butter, powdered sugar, and butter.
Bruce here... My toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #432 on: December 08, 2020, 12:46:31 PM »
Peanut Butter Bon Bons - aka BuckeyesWife makes these every year at Christmas time and sends them to the kids.I make sure to hide some for me.  :-D Center is made from graham cracker crumbs, peanut butter, powdered sugar, and butter.

One of my favorites. Have never made them and not sure I’ve had them with graham cracker crumbs as part of the filling but I bet it is good. Our former next door neighbors are Buckeyes and brought us some at Christmas for many years. They retired to FL and this will be our first Christmas without them here.
-Tony

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #433 on: December 08, 2020, 12:56:11 PM »

One of my favorites. Have never made them and not sure I’ve had them with graham cracker crumbs as part of the filling but I bet it is good. Our former next door neighbors are Buckeyes and brought us some at Christmas for many years. They retired to FL and this will be our first Christmas without them here.

Here is recipe if you want to give them a try.

Peanut Butter Bon Bons (AKA Buckeyes)

1   stick   Butter (1/2 cup)
1   cup    Peanut Butter (we use Krogers chunky)
1   cup   powdered sugar
1   cup   graham cracker crumbs (14 graham crackers)
1   pkg.   light-chocolate chips (Toll House 12 oz pkg)
¼ of ¼ square of paraffin wax   (or 2 -3 TBL of wax paraffin beads)

Blend butter and peanut butter until soft.
Add powdered sugar and graham cracker crumbs and mix until blended.

Roll into 1” diameter balls by hand (or use a mellon baller), place on cookie sheet and chill for 6 hours in refrigerator (or put in freezer for 1 hour).

Melt wax first, then add the chips in double boiler pan.*

Add chilled peanut butter balls one or two at a time.
Roll ball around to coat with chocolate.
Use an egg colorer holder or teaspoon to retrieve and put on parchment covered cookie sheet & chill, or on a cooling rack.

*If you do not have a double boiler place chocolate and wax in one pot and place over another pot that holds the hot water.
  You need two pots, so your chocolate doesn’t burn.
  Melt the paraffin first,  makes for a  better product.

Don’t use white chocolate – it just doesn’t work.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 01:20:29 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here... My toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #434 on: December 08, 2020, 01:09:02 PM »
Bruce, that looks like a great recipe. I just learned to make buckeyes last year.
I use rice krispies in mine, and a melon baller to assist with the rolling.

Reesa

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #435 on: December 08, 2020, 01:19:28 PM »
Bruce, that looks like a great recipe. I just learned to make buckeyes last year.
I use rice krispies in mine, and a melon baller to assist with the rolling.

Thanks Reesa, and yes on the melon baller to make the centers.
We use one, will add that in the recipe.
Thanks for mentioning that.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 01:21:07 PM by 02ebz06 »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #436 on: December 08, 2020, 04:31:34 PM »
Thanks so much, Bruce!
-Tony

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #437 on: December 08, 2020, 05:00:09 PM »

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #438 on: December 08, 2020, 09:01:07 PM »
Here's my go-to Buckeye recipe.  There was a page out there on the internet somewhere that I've never been able to find again, it was this same recipe but written up slightly differently.  It had comments like "Doug only uses Jif!" and "Doug only uses Blue Bonnet!"  and it really is the best buckeye recipe I've tried, and you really do have to use the brands listed for best results.  It bugs me because almost every year I try to find that original page with those comments on it and I always come up empty.  I'm beginning to think I made it up.  I don't really even remember if the guy's name was Doug or not.

I gave up smoothing over the toothpick holes years ago.  I use creamy Jif.  Forget the butter and use Blue Bonnet margarine. I emailed the recipe to myself in 2009 so it's been bugging me for at least 11 years now...

BUCKEYES

1-1/2 lb. of Powdered Sugar
1 lb. Peanut Butter (2 cups) (Jif)
2 sticks of butter or margarine (Blue Bonnet)
1 (6 oz.) Bag of Chocolate Chips (Semi-sweet Toll House)
1/3 block of Parrafin Wax
Blend butter, sugar and peanut butter thoroughly and roll into 1 to
1-1/4 inch balls. Place on wax paper on a cookie sheet and chill for
an hour.

Melt chocolate and parrafin wax in a double boiler (or, in a pan
sitting in another pan with water in it). Using a toothpick stuck into
them, dip the gorgeous little peanut butter globes into the chocolate,
leaving a small portion undipped (see photo if you're not following).
Place back on the wax paper. Chill the buckeyes until chocolate shell
has set.

edit//  Here's a link to basically the same recipe and it looks like this person may have copy/pasted the original recipe I can't find now and took Doug or whatever his name was out of it.  The bit where she says "you guessed it I have an "I only use brand" - Nestles" was in the original recipe and she replaced the dude's name with 'I".

I know this is all useless info, I'm just kind of writing it up just because.
https://2peasrefugees.boards.net/post/346937/thread
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 10:06:01 AM by sodface »
Carl

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #439 on: December 09, 2020, 01:38:22 AM »
Peanut Butter Bon Bons - aka Buckeyes
Wife makes these every year at Christmas time and sends them to the kids.
I make sure to hide some for me.  :-D

Center is made from graham cracker crumbs, peanut butter, powdered sugar, and butter.

My Step Mom wasn't much of a cook at all, but I remember when I was little she would make these around Xmas time. THANK YOU for posting this I know what must be done before this week's over.

wordpress