A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sweets and Desserts  (Read 23509 times)

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Sweets and Desserts
« Reply #260 on: October 06, 2018, 08:29:53 PM »
My Mom makes Victoria Sponge in cupcake form a lot, usually cut and then filled with a bit of jam and whipped cream.  I decided to do a test in the Wolf tonight, and I know you guys are probably tired of hearing about "The Wolf" but I was pretty happy that a couple of the USA Pans I have fit into the shelf racks in the Wolf.  The cupcake pan and the larger individual pie pan that I've been using for Yorkshire Puddings.  The Victoria Sponge cupcakes baked up quite nicely I thought!  Simple but good!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 09:25:11 AM by sodface »
Carl

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #261 on: October 06, 2018, 09:09:49 PM »
I’m envious of your Wolf. It’s hard to believe how many things you have been able to do well with it. The cupcakes sound and look good. And look how that pan fits in the oven - like it was made for it.
-Tony

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #262 on: October 06, 2018, 09:14:50 PM »
I’m envious of your Wolf. It’s hard to believe how many things you have been able to do well with it. The cupcakes sound and look good. And look how that pan fits in the oven - like it was made for it.

Thanks Tony!  I pulled the pans down thinking "there's no way these are going to fit" and in they slid!!   :P
Carl

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #263 on: October 07, 2018, 06:27:08 AM »
Banana bread and chocolate chip cookies for my son:

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 07:08:43 AM by jkb »
John

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #264 on: November 03, 2018, 06:00:17 PM »
Pumpkin Bars, made with the recently butchered and cooked pumpkin
Pumpkin pie spice, 1tsp instead of the 1/2tsp cinnamon
Used Splenda vs sugar
Added 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Added 3/4 cup flaked coconut
Should've added some craisins, Rosie mentioned it post bake
Baked till 200° in center
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #265 on: November 03, 2018, 07:21:58 PM »
Ps.....pumpkin was just mashed before adding to mix, not pureed, no cream cheese frosting, I like them warm with some butter. Very nice texture to these!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #266 on: November 03, 2018, 08:35:36 PM »
Banana bread and chocolate chip cookies for my son:

I like to pour bourbon in the bottoms of my chocolate chip cookies. Give it a try. It will change your life.

"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #267 on: November 03, 2018, 08:44:35 PM »
I like to pour bourbon in the bottoms of my chocolate chip cookies. Give it a try. It will change your life.

Dammit anyhow!!! I had the bourbon sitting right by the mixing bowl and forgot to add some to my stuff!!! Note for next time, craisins and bourbon........hmmmmm, maybe a bourbon sauce????
Jon

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #268 on: November 03, 2018, 10:39:40 PM »
I made this adding bourbon to it, came out quite good! The Splenda will get clumpy adding to the butter directly, but it got smooth with the addition of cream and bourbon and whisk away. The next time I'll add the Splenda to the cream. It needed just a titch of cornstarch and cream to thicken, if it gets too thick add a bit more cream. It was very tasty! Took all of 7-8 minutes to make!
https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/sugar-free-caramel-sauce-recipe-low-carb-keto/
Jon

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #269 on: November 21, 2018, 05:28:26 PM »
Got an uh-oh situation here..I'm bringing dessert tomorrow and I jut messed it up.

Triple chocolate pumpkin pie, from Martha Stewart...here's what happened. It's a pie that doesn't really full set out of the oven..still jiggly. Fine, I bake wet breads, I'm used to playing with water balloons, LOL. Or so I thought.

No photo, because  it's already now in fridge with some foil loosely over the top. If I did this at first, I might be fine...But instead I used cling wrap...and I guess the pie hadn't cooled enough because some of the top came off on the wrap. Looks bad...

So I need dessert camouflage. I'm thinking powdered sugar..no touching needed, then maybe some chocolate shavings on top of that. At the moment, the pie seems to be the consistency of soft pudding, so I don't want to try to spread  whipped cream, and sure don't want canned stuff...Any other ideas to disguise my mistake?

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #270 on: November 21, 2018, 06:05:57 PM »
If the consistency of the filling is too loose, then it's going to be a disaster when serving.  Why not make another one or something simpler?  If you're determined to salvage this one, you could try a cream cheese frosting piped out of a pastry bag with a star tip.

cream cheese (softened) 100%
butter (softened) 22%
confectioner's sugar (sifted) 22%
zest from 1 lemon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Mix all of the above at high speed until light and fluffy.

Rolls
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 06:09:36 PM by Rolls »
Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #271 on: November 21, 2018, 06:12:32 PM »
Thanks Rolls...I don't think I'll know consistency until morning..it says to fridge it overnight. No time for a reboot..worst case it's served in a dish with a spoon like the custard it is...

I appreciate th thought..I'll report back...I think no one will go hungry no matter the outcome.  :-D

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #272 on: November 21, 2018, 07:52:20 PM »
Good luck, tomorrow may bring joy.  I would be ready to pipe whipped cream on top if it still is to loose

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #273 on: November 22, 2018, 07:54:11 AM »
Thanks Barry...will find out soon. There was enough filling leftover that I made some small ramekins on the side...and those set okay  even without refrigeration, so I might be okay...The part of the top  that was scraped off by the plastic wrap should be easy to hide under milk chocolate shavings...only a slight adaptation of the milk chocolate drizzle the recipe called for.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #274 on: November 22, 2018, 05:10:54 PM »
We've just about picked the entire rim off the crust of the apple pie.   My wife nailed it.   Turkey is still in the oven.
John

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #275 on: November 22, 2018, 11:30:17 PM »
Thanks Rolls, Barry..The pie survived. Used grated milk chocolate. and a drizzle of Hershey's syrup to disguise it.

Not a lot of takers though...too many dessert\s on the table

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #276 on: November 23, 2018, 12:28:11 AM »
Not a lot of takers though...too many dessert\s on the table
g
Good save, Bill. Some part of the small number of takers can probably be attributed to communications. How many people, when they ask you to bring a pie, think a dessert is what’s comimg verus a pizza?  :)  I’m half-kidding. Everyone involved would know you gqve it your all.
-Tony

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #277 on: November 23, 2018, 07:03:34 AM »
Thanks Tony...actually this was one of three things we brought. Also a Sally Lunn bread, which uses more yeast in one loaf than I probably go through in two years    :-D    And the best thing, which was roasted fingerling potatoes with figs, thyme and garlic. That was a keeper.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #278 on: November 23, 2018, 07:20:19 AM »
That potato and fig dish does sound like a keeper! Funny about the yeast. I make “Betty” (Crocker) bread a couple times a year that calls for 1 pkg ADY per loaf. We do like it though.
-Tony

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #279 on: November 23, 2018, 08:04:32 AM »
This had two packages!

wordpress