A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My First Fermented Dough  (Read 630 times)

Offline TurkeyOnRye

My First Fermented Dough
« on: August 25, 2016, 11:29:00 PM »
This dough was derived from the GlutenBoy recipe. I made some improvised changes on the way, such as mixing by hand, balling several hours before the cook, using Bob's Red Mill bread flour instead of All Trumps flour, and approximating the yeast measurement (my kitchen scale is only accurate to whole grams). The recipe was divided by three because I only wanted enough dough to make two crusts. I don't have a stone yet, so I used a sheet pan. The pizza went into a 550F oven on the bottom rack for 4 minutes, then moved to the top rack for 4 minutes, 8 minutes total.

The pizza, as one can tell by the pictures, is your standard margherita.

The sauce is a curious mix derived from organic heirloom tomatoes from the store with canned San Marzano style whole tomatoes. It turned out close to the way I wanted, which was seasoned, but with a raw tomatoey edge. Incidentally, I think the sauce was the best part of the pizza.  :P

On top of the tomato sauce went bruised whole leaf basil, followed by "fresh" mozzarella, fontina, and sarvecchio parmesan.

The crust definitely had more complexity flavor-wise than the one-day doughs I've been using, but it wasn't knock-your-socks off. It was a bit sour. A little tough. A little too chewy. Not sure how to describe it.

I'm disappointed with the presentation. The color is too light, and I'd like there to be more crannies. Overall? An improvement in some respects, but overall not what I'm looking for.

As always, feedback is most appreciated!  :D

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 11:50:38 PM by TurkeyOnRye »

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress