A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: basic easy to remember NY Style dough recipe  (Read 33751 times)

Offline mitchjg

Re: basic easy to remember NY Style dough recipe
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2016, 08:42:54 PM »
the crust as a whole inside the rim.

So, that is inside the rim.  And, your opinion on the rim itself?  Is it different on the top part of the rim than on the bottom part of the rim?
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

HarryHaller73

« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2016, 08:47:17 PM »
HarryHaller73,

If you would get the chance to talk to Madeline Mastro Ferrentino she would say that NY style pizzas were meant to have raised rim crusts.  Madeline father and father helped to spread the word about NY style pizzas.  She often comments that her brother Vincent's pizzas at the World's Fair in 1964 made in those Blodgett 1000's had raised rims.  That is how Madeline's father and brother showed people how to make NY style pizzas way back to around 1938.  At that time there were no regular NY style pizzerias.  All NY style pizzas were sold in Italian Restaurants, bars, or other food places.  Madeline told me she or her brother counted how many places were selling NY style pizzas years ago.  There were about 100 of them, but none were pizzerias just selling pizzas.  What happened in the meantime who knows. 

Norma

there are different perspectives of the history of ny pizza.  the global marketers have successfully linked napoletana pizza to ny pizza, but i see it differently based on my experiences and those who i speak to on the streets.  there were varying styles of what you call pizza pre WWII, but pizza did not really evolve in NYC until after the war.  The pizza that we know of from the 60's to current times, it's golden era being the 70's to early 90's were of Sicilian Italian roots.  Many Sicilian Americans never had a slice of the original Lombardi's  or Totonno's or Grimaldi's which have larger raised rim crusts and rooted in Neapolitan influences.  I was born in NYC, and I never had a Lombardi's pie until 1997 when it re-opened within a new global campaign via the global food marketers.  To me, it was a new thing, so it was also for alot of my peers.  This is around the time Napoletana pies began their global marketing.

I would love to speak to her.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:46:33 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2016, 08:47:31 PM »

I wonder if anyone in the tournament used the Caputo Pizzeria flour in the tournament. 

I believe Norma uses GM Gold Medal Full Strength?

HarryHaller73,

Caputo Pizzeria flour was used for some of the Neapolitan pizzas, but not the NY style pizzas.  At that time the Caputo 00 Americana flour was just coming out for NY style pizzas.   I don't know of  any contestant that used the Caputo 00 Americana flour but John Arena and some of the other people that had access to that flour.  The just did some demo pizzas with the new flour.

I did use GM Full Strength.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:49:10 PM by norma427 »

HarryHaller73

« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2016, 08:48:43 PM »
So, that is inside the rim.  And, your opinion on the rim itself?  Is it different on the top part of the rim than on the bottom part of the rim?

most new yorkers chuck the rim.  feed it to pigeons.

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #124 on: August 29, 2016, 08:53:10 PM »
most new yorkers chuck the rim.  feed it to pigeons.

What percentage do that?

Is it because the rim is not puffed enough?

Are you saying the rim is of no importance?  that NY'ers don't like the rim of the pizza they are served?
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

HarryHaller73

« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2016, 08:55:45 PM »

also, there is alot more to the ny pizza than just thin crust.  the bottom is foldable, won't crack, it is NOT crispy, rather leathery in the undercrust.  there is a narrow middle section that is chewy with minimal crumb structure if any, and a fine thin gumline where the sauce hits the cheese.  if baked properly with the correct consistency of sauce, the cheese will interact and create what's called orange sheen.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #126 on: August 29, 2016, 08:56:36 PM »

I would love to speak to her.

HarryHaller73,

I don't know if you would be able to speak with Madeline, but she has said many times that Walter's pizzas remind her very much of her father's and Vinnie's pizzas, and how they taught people how to make pizzas.  Maybe if Walter ever has the time again he could record what Madeline remembers about the rim crusts.  Maybe I might even ask Madeline and ask if I can record what she has to say.

If you didn't read the story on the Evolution of NY style thread, here is the story again.

http://www.pmq.com/August-2016/The-Pizza-Kings-The-strange-sad-story-of-the-industrys-greatestand-most-tragicvisionaries/

Norma

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2016, 08:20:18 AM »
I removed a lot of posts having nothing to do with the thread, sorry if a couple of good ones got caught in the middle.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #128 on: August 31, 2016, 09:16:55 AM »
Please keep it on topic per the original post, not personal agendas.

wordpress