A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: WFO made in Poland  (Read 6867 times)

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
  • If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
Re: WFO made in Poland
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2017, 09:44:22 AM »
It was standing for one week under the foil. Yesterday there was about 190 F  / 90 C under the dome and today It was about 300 F / 150 C. I used this instruction https://www.fornobravo.com/pompeii-oven/curing/ (today is day one, yesterday was day zero)

Maybe I was so wet because It was under the foil?  :-\ Its very hard to keep low temperature.

At this point you want air circulation to help it dry.
I propped up a beam over the dome and tented the tarp over the beam, to keep off rain/condensation but still let the air move.

Even though the FB curing instructions have a photo of a Pompeii build at the top, they're really talking about their cast ovens ("If you notice a black smoke coming from the oven, donít panic, that is food grade grease which is used in the de-molding process"). A freshly built brick-and-mortar oven will contain more water, and need a slower/cooler curing cycle.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 09:57:06 AM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline ImmortalJellyfish

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2017, 10:11:37 AM »
OK! Where can I find curing instruction for brick oven? Everywhere I look there is similar instruction like on forno bravo website.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 01:05:01 PM by ImmortalJellyfish »

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2017, 08:02:36 PM »
The link I gave two posts ago (https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=47997.msg484215#msg484215)  is sub's reply to a question about curing... he quotes the Acunto and Ferrara curing instructions.

This is pretty good:  http://www.chicagobrickoven.com/wood-fired-101/curing-oven/

Go slow for two or three days (100c max) then slowly increase... I'd do 150c, 200c, 250c 350c
If you stop curing (for example, by leaving for two weeks) then start over at the beginning.
In grams we trust.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2017, 08:26:52 AM »
Next step was to build square, ceramic chimney which is supported on two steel angles. Chimney is 20cm x 20cm. On the internet I found old bricks from demolition which look awesome. I have also bought 30mm thick ceramic blanket and 30mm thick insulation board which was not easy to install since I had already builded walls :) whole was covered with expanded clay http://www.leca.com/.

I didn't feel strong with building the roof that's why I got some help from Mr. Mietek :) He poured screws (Phi 10mm) into the concrete and on this screws we've placed big rafters. Then roof foil insulation and tiles.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2017, 08:29:25 AM »
Few more photos....

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2018, 07:47:08 AM »
Hello everyone!

Lat year on September I got married and the second day of after-party was pizza making from polish WFO ;) This was the first and last baking in 2017 because of the weather. Now we have sunny days like in summer so the baking has just started!

During the construction of the oven I made a big mistake by pressing the bricks too tightly against the sand while the dome was being formed and also fireproof mortar which I poured on the dome was to dense and it didn't filled all gaps correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=vHjmEJKok-c

Offline mrmrva

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2018, 08:10:00 AM »
Not bad looking :)
Did you measure temps inside oven?
Is there leoparding at the bottom of pizza?

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2018, 01:36:26 PM »
Thanks! Temperature is about 450 C (806 F) - 480 C (896 F) under the dome and about 350 C (662 F) - 390 C (716 F) on the floor (never more). From what I have read the floor temperature should be higher and I wonder if the gaps between bricks in the dome could be cause of that? Can I fill this gaps with mortar?

There leoparding at the bottom of pizza but its light - I will attach some photos next time.

Offline robvst1987

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2018, 03:46:41 AM »
I don't think the gaps wil cause it.. How long do you fire up youre oven before baking? And how big is the oven mouth?

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2018, 08:35:41 AM »
Looking back at your previous posts, it seems you've got a perlcrete slab under the oven (and it looks thicker than the 10cm you were originally talking about--good!). You may still be driving water out of that perlcrete, or the perlcrete may be passing too much heat through to the structural slab (bad!), or it might be that you're just not firing it long enough.

As a rule of thumb, it takes 10 hard firings to fully dry the oven and get best performance.

1. How many times have you done a full firing (post-cure) to bake?
2. How long do you fire it before baking?
3. How thick is the cooking surface (everything above the perlcrete)?
4. How warm does the underside of the structural slab (the roof of the wood storage space) get?
In grams we trust.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2018, 03:35:10 AM »
Looking back at your previous posts, it seems you've got a perlcrete slab under the oven (and it looks thicker than the 10cm you were originally talking about--good!). You may still be driving water out of that perlcrete, or the perlcrete may be passing too much heat through to the structural slab (bad!), or it might be that you're just not firing it long enough.

As a rule of thumb, it takes 10 hard firings to fully dry the oven and get best performance.

1. How many times have you done a full firing (post-cure) to bake?
2. How long do you fire it before baking?
3. How thick is the cooking surface (everything above the perlcrete)?
4. How warm does the underside of the structural slab (the roof of the wood storage space) get?

As I remember perlite slab was about 12 - 13 cm thick.

1. It was about 10 times - not more
2. I fire oven before baking about 2 - 2.5 hours
3. Above is 3 cm thick insulation board, on the board there is some salt and on the salt there are 4.7 cm thick Saputto biscotto.
4. I will check this on the occasion of the next baking but I don't remember that  structural slab was even warm

This is my last baking and almost all cooking dome turned clear - there is some black area on the right. Maybe it should all turned clear?

Other idea is that the roof is not hermetic.

@robvst1987 the mouth of the oven is 46 cm and 23 cm (attachment)

Offline robvst1987

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2018, 08:50:32 AM »
Did you start youre fire on the left side like in this movie? I would try to start te fire where you want to bake youre pizza later and than move over the wood/fire so the floor is allready warm. It's not correct the oven is still black on the right side (it has to be clear).

So from what I can see is that youre oven is not warm enough but if you make a bigger fire for a longer time I think this will be okay.
Did you used dry wood? Because if it's not completly dry it doesn't get as warm as you want.

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2018, 09:20:06 AM »
Did you start youre fire on the left side like in this movie? I would try to start te fire where you want to bake youre pizza later and than move over the wood/fire so the floor is allready warm. It's not correct the oven is still black on the right side (it has to be clear).

So from what I can see is that youre oven is not warm enough but if you make a bigger fire for a longer time I think this will be okay.
Did you used dry wood? Because if it's not completly dry it doesn't get as warm as you want.

Agree on all counts; you're not firing long enough. If the area with flame rolling over it (the dome) isn't even heated through, then the floor won't be close to fully heated.

My floor brick is 6 1/2" thick (for multiple batches of bread); I fire hard the day before (dome clears for several hours), let it equalize overnight, and fire briefly the day of the bake. I don't have a fire going during the bake, so I need the bricks heated all the way through. Your floor is thinner, but you need more fire.
In grams we trust.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2018, 04:38:44 PM »
OK, thanks for advice. I will try to follow them up at the earliest opportunity. Meanwhile I want to share with you my experience with the best pizzas in Naples from where I've just come back :) 

1. LíAntica Pizzeria da Michele (founded in 1870)

Always crowded place, you must register with the restaurant angry manager and take ticket with number. When he calls your number you have about 1 second to raise your hand otherwise the number is dismissed. They serve only margherita or marinara and beverages are served in plastic cups. We didn't get menu, waiter just asked us what we want and we took two margheritas (5 EUR per pie) and... they were awesome! The sauce was sweet and dough was soft.

2. Gino Sorbillo

Considered as one of the best pizza in the world where most of the products are organic. We went there 30 minutes before opening and there were about 50 people in the queue ahead of us but we manage to get in the first round. They have two huge ovens and the service is realy fast. We ordered margherita and one pie with anchois. It was the softest pie I have ever had... it melted in our mouths. Look out because 3 meters next to Gino Sorbillo there is Gigi Sorbillo but the sign is just "Sorbillo".

3. Starita

They serve special type of marinara called... marinara starita with fresh tomatoes and little piece of mozzarella. It was third best pizza in Naples but still high level pizza.