A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Books on Authentic Italian Baking?  (Read 1082 times)

Offline hotsawce

Books on Authentic Italian Baking?
« on: November 06, 2016, 01:42:12 PM »
So I'm looking for books on authentic Italian baking (preferably with bakers percentage of possible.) Not interested in Italian American; looking to learn how to bake items like prosciutto brioche, maritozzi, bombolini, biscotti, Italian shortbreads, crostata and tarts. Any suggestions?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Books on Authentic Italian Baking?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 02:46:07 PM »
I collect every Italian baking book I can find; there isn't a single book I have that spans all the items you mention, but I really love:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0966971272/?tag=pmak-20

very hardcore, with a hardcore price, with a focus on natural starters. No bakers %, but all ingredients by weight.

I was just perusing it to decide which of the dozen+ recipes for panettone I was going tackle for this Christmas.   

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 03:40:05 PM »
Someone posted a link to a website that had a  buttload of authentic Italian recipes a long time ago. If someone remembers please post it, I would like to re-save it too!!

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 03:51:06 PM »
There are a lot of gems on Google Books if you search in Italian. Most authentic cuisine recipe books tend to be in their native language.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 07:21:09 PM »
Bill,

Does this have any of the sweet pastries like shortbread, crostata, maritozzi, bombolini, or any of those items or just like ciabattas and other loafs?

I collect every Italian baking book I can find; there isn't a single book I have that spans all the items you mention, but I really love:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0966971272/?tag=pmak-20

very hardcore, with a hardcore price, with a focus on natural starters. No bakers %, but all ingredients by weight.

I was just perusing it to decide which of the dozen+ recipes for panettone I was going tackle for this Christmas.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 07:48:48 PM »
Hotsawce,

Here are some quick snaps of the contents. Let me know if it is clear enough (I'm sure you know to click on an image to expand to full res):

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 08:16:09 PM »
Looks comprehensive but not a lot of the pastries I'm looking for. I'm going to have to dig for books on Italian baking with weights. I've been heavily inspired by the pastries at a local spot to me called "Lilia." Lots of seasonal baking and simpler Italian pastries done wel.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 08:19:29 PM »

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 10:47:30 AM »
Thanks for posting that Bill... the Serbian focaccia sounds great, googled it and found a link to thefreshloaf.
the proof is in the pizza

wordpress