A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What ever happened to Scala Meat Packing?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline wildwest

What ever happened to Scala Meat Packing?
« on: November 09, 2016, 01:08:37 PM »
Anybody who follows the inner workings and history of the local Chicago Italian meat business, knows the great name Scala. For those who don't know, Scala Meat Packing was controlled by the Scala family throughout it's entire life. Pasquale Scala is often given credit for inventing the Chicago Style Italian Roast Beef Sandwich in 1925 and later, the Scala family became a premier Chicago supplier of their wonderful "Italian Sausage for Pizza" used (at one time or another) by pretty much every top pizza house in the Chicago area. Personally, I grew up in Chicago in the 50's to '70's and now live in Colorado (since 1978) but continue to strive to make the perfect Chicago pizza and remained a customer of the Scala Meat Packing Co until their ultimate demise a few years ago (over issues related to family pride and commitment to product excellence rather than issues that typically cause a company to close their doors). One wonderful Chicago area pizzeria that I know used to use Scala sausage in their great pizzas was Barnaby's. I have since called several of their stores to see if anybody would share their story and/or who they've switched to, but nobody's talking. Meanwhile, back at home, since losing this valuable resource (Scala), I have written Pat Scala and the Scala agents several times for recipe hints and the letters come back undeliverable. I have also tried several dozen times to duplicate their taste from scratch (and have found some wonderful recipes), but have completely failed at coming even close to the taste that I grew up with loved so much. So, here are my questions for this group. Out of personal interest, does anybody know what happened to Pat Scala, the family and/or their business? Will they ever be back? Is there any chance they exist somewhere under a different name or on  a limited basis where I can contact them to buy product? Or, has anybody found a recipe that even comes close to replicating the great "Scala Sausage for Pizza?" And/or....does anybody know how Barnaby's hand;ed losing Scala as a supplier or who the switched to? Thanks everyone.       
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 01:10:38 PM by wildwest »

A D V E R T I S E M E N T