A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Our Meatball Tradition  (Read 7938 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
Re: Our Meatball Tradition
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2016, 07:22:56 PM »
Thank you for your Christmas meatball recipe Tony.  It is definitely appreciated and I will definitely give them a try! 

Chau

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2016, 10:24:29 PM »
I made meatballs tonight.  I'm not much for recipes.  I'm a Zen cook.  What I do is pretty damn close to your recipe but with a mix of beef, pork and veal. Tonight however, I put them in the oven and five minutes later, I realized I forgot the parmesan.  Luckily, it wasn't too late and I was able to mix it in and reball.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 10:33:49 PM by jkb »
John

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2016, 10:49:46 PM »
Cool. I cook that way most of the time. This is more about production and consistency. As I mentioned, I'm a subscriber to the "quanto basta" philosophy. Sometimes the beef is a little stronger tasting, or the parsley is more bitter, peppercorns broke down too far, etc. Taste and continue. I'm more likely to wing it on the sauce for this and try to make the meatballs as close to exactly like last time as possible. In no way would I think or say they could not be better, but we are happy with where they are. When we experiment with them, as we had to do when we lost our sausage source,  I don't ply them on friends :)

For most of the meals I make, I start either with what is on hand or what looks good at the store rather than going to the store with a specific idea. There are exceptions, of course, and a limited list of what we like and I can make.

Interesting you mentioned Parmesan. I think the two things that make ours good are the cheese and tomato paste. I'd recommend to anyone who already makes meatballs just try adding those two things to how you are already doing it.
-Tony

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2016, 12:42:05 AM »
Tony thanks for the story, the pix and the recipes!  Sure made me want to something different than cookies this year for friends.

I do have a question though, if I may?  What flavor profile led you to use the Kraft Parmesan?
All the best, Dave

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2016, 06:10:25 AM »
I know, weird huh? The meatballs seem a little firmer and more moist using a 50-50 mix. Maybe it's the cellulose in the Kraft Parm absorbing grease  :-D For whatever reason, it had more to do with texture than flavor.

I love Parmigiano Reggiano. Its depth of flavor and crystalline texture are sublime in its off-the-wheel state (can't really say 'raw'). However, it has not always been commonly available in the USA during my adult years and it is quite expensive.

Meatballs are somewhat of a peasant, or at least southern Italy food whereas Parm Reg is from the north (but loved everywhere). Originally, we used Romano but had trouble controlling overall saltiness when we did.

I am one of the least pretentious people you will ever meet and can tell you honestly and without shame that while we like and use Parm Reg on pasta, the second time out, as leftovers, we both like Kraft Parm better.
-Tony

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2016, 02:08:38 PM »
Sort of off topic but, I found a pizza sauce recipe that was based on #10 cans (several).   I think a #10 can is 105oz which means it's only equivalent to 3.75 cans of the regular grocery store 28oz cans of crushed?  Is that right?  I don't have a #10 can to look at but I've worked with them before and it seems like they'd hold more than 3.75 28oz cans.  ???

I imagine a forum search would be in order here, probably should have before posting  :P
Carl

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2016, 02:35:45 PM »
Sounds right but I agree it seems wrong. It's around 3 quarts of liquid and mine are 6#9 oz, which is 105 oz as you said. I just came home from ordering mine.
-Tony

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2016, 02:44:32 PM »
Sort of off topic but, I found a pizza sauce recipe that was based on #10 cans (several).   I think a #10 can is 105oz which means it's only equivalent to 3.75 cans of the regular grocery store 28oz cans of crushed?  Is that right?  I don't have a #10 can to look at but I've worked with them before and it seems like they'd hold more than 3.75 28oz cans.  ???

I imagine a forum search would be in order here, probably should have before posting  :P

No you're right, I have a #10 of 7/11's right in front of me. They aren't as big as they look. I was able to go through a whole #10 can in one week between salsa, pizza, and pasta. Also, if you can find whole peeled there will be a lot less whole tomato product because of the juice packing compared to a #10 of crushed tomatoes.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2016, 08:26:56 PM »
Yummmm!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »
Got the bug, have you? Those look good. Lots of cheese?

Re #10 can conversion to 28 oz cans, I picked mine up today and the equivalent price for 28 oz cans was $1.33. There are probably places where you can get 28 oz cans at an everyday price of that or better but it would not be practical for what I am doing. I plan to make the first batch of sauce tomorrow because my date at the butcher shop is Wednesday afternoon.
-Tony

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2016, 12:44:09 AM »
Last 24 hrs have been busy. I did not get the sauce finished (or started) last night but did as much of the prep work as I could for sauce and another group for meatball mix. This morning I finished prep work for meatballs. I was at the butcher shop from 1:00 to 3:00, which is longer than usual. They replaced their grinders with something that is safer (but slower). While I was getting ready to pack up my mix in plastice bags I noticed that I had forgotten to add the grated cheese ::) so that took an extra 15-20 min to  mix it in well by hand.

Came home and got first batch of sauce undrway. We have cooled it down and have it in several containers in the refrigerator. Thanks to Linda having time to help, we got the first 3 pans baked (35 per pan). I have lunch 15 miles away with a good friend Thursday. I probably won start backing unitl 3:00. Have to pick up the case and a half of peppers I ordered and start getting those cut and cooked so some are ready when we start filling our normal round package tomorrow evening. Tonight and daytime tomorrow are always tight for refrigerator space. One we deliver a few packages it gets easier. Snow and frigid temperatures kept meat safe in the back of my truck and helped cook down large pans of sauce so we could get it below 40 degrees and into the refrigerators as quickly as possible.

Even though several steps from today's process are left out of todays photos, I thought it would be more interesting to see  a few that were not shown above. Hard to believe there is no photo with celery in it - I sure copped a lot of it last night.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 12:50:22 AM by foreplease »
-Tony

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2016, 01:07:23 AM »
If you don't already know of them, Google 'cooling wands'. An easy and cheap hack is fill 1-2 liter plastic pop bottles with water and freeze them. I do this for large batches of soups and chilis to cool them down fast. A Godsend when it's not winter!

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2016, 02:13:08 AM »
A Godsend when it's not winter!

:)

There's always leftovers on my front porch in the winter.  Not struggling to find space in the fridge makes the lack of daylight more bearable.
John

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2016, 03:43:40 AM »
John

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Our Meatball Traditio
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2016, 07:03:41 AM »
Thanks, Jon. I've done the same thing with big batches of soup. I used to fill Ziploc bags and freeze them, then progressed to bottles. Now I cannot seem to find large plastic bottles without that stubborn glue on them. I just ordered 4 of some kind of large (clean) plastic jars with screw on lids that look like they will work. Never knew the term 'cooling wands,' will look it up.

Outdoor cooling weather has set in hard here jkb. I sometimes use our deck or front steps for a few hours if we are hosting a big dinner but there is too much wildlife here for me to be comfortable leaving stuff overnight. Once in a while I will park my truck outside, crack the windows, and leave food inside it. Funny Seinfeld caption :)
-Tony

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2016, 10:01:52 AM »
I got homegrown wildlife to watch out for, my dogs and the neighbors dog! Me and the neighbors dog got in a fight over a couple pork loins I was cooling in the snow once. He had them and as I was trying to get them back he growled at me, so I punch him in the face.....I got one back, he ate the other. VERY spicy too!!!
Jon

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2016, 10:22:02 AM »
 Rabies knocked the scavengers back around here.
John

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2016, 12:55:47 AM »

Friday night and this is beginning to slow down (thankfully). Last night my wife delivered several that are nearby, which gave us more refrigerator space for the next group we packaged. So far we have 8 in the freezer for people we probably not see before Christmas Day. At last count there were 132 meatballs ready for packaging, one more (out old 6) bags of mix to roll and bake, and nearly 2 full hotel pans of sauce. First thing in the morning I will clean and fry the rest of the peppers. Here are a few pictures from yesterday and today.

I'm having trouble posting photos as part of this reply will try to add them in next post. Descriptions blow go with them.

1 is a larger size that holds 20-24 instead of 9 in our round pans

2 round pans cooled and ready for lids

3 once lidded and labeled they either go to garage refrigerator or straight into wife's car for delivery

4 one of today's pans I like the color coming out of the oven

5 cleaned and cut bell peppers

6 another step where I liked the color today

« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 01:11:43 AM by foreplease »
-Tony

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2016, 01:00:33 AM »
Text above goes with these photos.
-Tony

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2016, 01:56:42 AM »
Gorgeous!!!  so awesome!!!!!  such a wonderful xmas tradition!!  your lucky lucky friends and neighbors!!!!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)