A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Our Meatball Tradition  (Read 7930 times)

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
Re: Our Meatball Tradition
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 08:41:22 AM »
Loved reading this. I'm hoping some of the things we do with our family one day could be told as a 15+ year tradition tale.

Also, I am looking forward to your scaled formula (but man, can you put that little garlic in?h.

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 07:55:29 PM »
This is great Tony. Thanks for posting. It really makes me want some meatballs!
Quote from: HansB on Yesterday at 07:19:39 AM
“You only need to rotate it if it needs to be rotated.“

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 08:08:22 PM »
You are close enough by, my friend, you could be on the list :) I used to have a stop at 700 S Wabash but he moved to Ukrainian Village area.
-Tony

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2016, 08:12:19 PM »
Loved reading this. I'm hoping some of the things we do with our family one day could be told as a 15+ year tradition tale.

Also, I am looking forward to your scaled formula (but man, can you put that little garlic in?h.

Thank you. 15 years goes by extremely fast when you are left empty-nested to look back on it. I hope you make your mark, too - I'd bet on you based on what little I know of you here. Involve the kids in the discussion is my suggestion.
-Tony

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2016, 08:24:13 PM »
This makes me feel so lazy, I didn't even feel like making a pie for Thanksgiving. Awesome story, sounds like a great experience.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2016, 08:32:57 PM »
Thank you. 15 years goes by extremely fast when you are left empty-nested to look back on it. I hope you make your mark, too - I'd bet on you based on what little I know of you here. Involve the kids in the discussion is my suggestion.
Thanks for the compliment! And great advice!

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2016, 09:33:02 PM »
WOW!!  Tony!  how inspiring!!  i am dying to try some of your meatballs!!!!  i should  be in Coloma sometime this summer!!  i'll swing by!!!!  ha!!!!!!  you remind me again of my friend Dominic who has a place near my parents on paw paw lake!!!   so generous!!!  such delicious food!!!!  he really taught me about being a generous and giving person, and only give with the expectation of nothing in return!!  you have again reminded me of this important lesson!!!  thank you!! Your story has really put me in the holiday spirit!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 10:40:02 PM »
Well thank you! I was in Coloma last night. PM me when you know more about your plans.
-Tony

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 11:55:43 PM »
you bet Tony!  i'd love to buy you a pizza!  dimaggios? silver beach?  there used to be a Romas on red arrow highway i liked as a kid!  your choice!! on me!!

-John Candy(Stripes)

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 11:56:38 PM »
I had a 3 case and a 1 case version of the sauce recipe. The image began as a PDF that would be able to be viewed and printed in one page. It contains the original 1 case/6 can recipe and in the far right column I have scaled it for 1 #10 can. That amount of sauce should handle a meatball batch size of 3# meat, or 30-32 meatballs. I will post that late tonight or tomorrow.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 09:37:45 AM by foreplease »
-Tony

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2016, 09:20:50 PM »
thanks a ton for posting this Tony!  a lot of work in that recipe!!!!  a lot of love!

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2016, 10:02:18 PM »
I had a 3 case and a 1 case version of the sauce recipe. The image began as a PDF that would be able to be viewed and printed in one page. It contains the original 1 case/6 can recipe and in the far right column I have scaled it for 1 #10 can. That amount of sauce should handle a meatball batch size of 3# meat, or 30-32 meatballs. I will post that late tonight or tomorrow.
Damn! Thank you!!!!

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2016, 06:39:08 AM »
wow, very awesome
Deb

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2016, 11:45:55 PM »
I can see now that by editing the post above when I inserted the sauce recipe that nobody would have been notified as they would have been had I posted it as a new reply. Anyone just seeing this now: the sauce recipe is above.

Here is the scaled down meatball recipe. If I explain how the pork portion has changed over the years it will help you understand that part of it better. All of my life we had a favorite Italian sausage in this area until about 5 years ago. Unfortunately, they closed and will not be opening again. More than missing it as an ingredient in the meatballs, I really miss having coils of sausage available. Even though it is uncomplicated, nobody else here makes anything too close. To duplicate it exactly a 3/8" grinding plate is needed, which I do not have. On taste, though, I believe this is right on, after several tries and a few tips from around town.

So then, you either need to find a pound of Italian sausage you love or make your own as I suggest at the bottom of the recipe. Good luck with it and have fun.

-Tony

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2016, 01:14:23 AM »
Tony! Thank you for this wonderful recipe!  Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones!

-John Candy(Stripes)

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2016, 06:32:38 AM »
Tony! Thank you for this wonderful recipe!  Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones!

You're welcome. I hope you get a chance to try it. Happy Holidays to you and yours.
-Tony

Offline waynesize

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2016, 06:37:33 AM »
Tony, thank you for putting together this great write up. It is a wonderful story of caring and generosity.  Not many people would go to the lengths that you and your family do to share with others.  And thanks for sharing your process and recipe with all of us here.  I will be saving this, and giving it a try. 

Wayne

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2016, 06:47:17 AM »
Thanks Wayne. I hope you enjoy making and eating them.
-Tony

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2016, 06:50:26 AM »
lol, just took meatballs and sauce out of the freezer for dinner.  All your fault Tony :-D
Deb

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2016, 07:09:18 AM »
lol, just took meatballs and sauce out of the freezer for dinner.  All your fault Tony :-D

You are ahead of me at this point :) Hard to beat the convenience. Post a pic if you get a chance.
-Tony