A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Our Meatball Tradition  (Read 8123 times)

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Our Meatball Tradition
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2017, 01:29:24 AM »
I may have pointed this out in some manner last year. First phote below is cropped to show closeup of both the pan and meatballs post-bake. These were baked 25-26 minutes at 450 convect on a pan greased with shortening. We rey to bake unril a colorful crust has formed on every part that does not touch the pan. On the bottom (part that touches the pan) crust is thicker and much darker. Itís nearly black but tastes sweet rather than burned. As you can see, almost no oil and not much moisture runs out during the bake. This, to me, is part of the benefit and purpose of using 9 lbs of breadcrumbs. Years ago when we consistently achieved this result, I figured we had found the ideal level of breadcrumbs. In addition to the fat from the meat and a lot of cheese, a couple cups of olive oil was added to the meat just before grinding it, along with about 3 pints of water (until it looked and felt right). Not an especially healthful way to eat everyday but it tastes great a couple times a year.

Second picture: hotel pan in lower right corner was our overnight storage and quick cool down in all that sauce. Once labels were printed and peppers fried, we began putting together individual packages. We do 7-8 large packages of 20-24 meatbals for a couple businesses I work closely with, another for the butcher shop folks, and a few this size to close friemds that have extended families with them for several days this season.  Those mostly contain 20 pcs, one has 24. In the early stages it is good to get these made up and distributed. I makes more room and uses a couple hotel pans of sauce and 2 (or so) of the 6 bags of mix I brought home.

So the above are ready to go in the morning. I have 14 of our typical round 9-pack made up and ready to go. Several are in the freezer for people who prefer to receive them that way. Altogether, we will make about 45 of the round 9-packs, 6-8 of the larger size, a couple packages for each of our kids, and a few oddball packages dor my wife and me. Those will range from 6 pcs for quick pasta or sandwich for the two of us to 20 pcs sometime when we have friemds or family visitimg. I froze 2 bags of just the meatball mox im freezer bags with enough mix to make 10 meatballs 22 oz). Doing that early in the process is just another way to get a few pounds out of our way.we have 16 people, along with 6 kids under age 5, coming for dinner Thirsday so I need to wrap ip mu part of this tomorrow if possible. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:41:20 AM by foreplease »
-Tony

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontiŤres
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2017, 10:57:05 PM »
man!! i want to be on your list!!!!!  so awesome!!!!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2017, 12:00:40 PM »
So this happened...

Last night I finished baking and packaging the last 4 pans of 35 around 11:30. When I started checking our list it looked like I was going to be 27 short and have to cut three people. I looked in both refrigerators and the basement freezer. Checked everything twice. Finally, I made my peace with it and cleaned everything up.

Just before 1:00 a.m. my son, daughter-in-law, and son-in-law arrived. Great to have everybody here finally. They came in talking about how good the house smelled but were laughing when I told them I was short. One of them took me back to the front door and said ďwhat about these?Ē Turns out I had set a (well covered) pan of 80 on the front steps to stay cold  ;D

So, there were plenty after all. This is probably the end of this yearís story. Thanks for your interest. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to each of you.

-Tony

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2017, 03:10:52 AM »
Checked everything twice.

Gonna find out who's naughty or nice...
John

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2019, 03:55:52 PM »

After having to sit December 2018 out, I (and all of us here) am happy to have this yearís batch underway. Tomorrow afternoon my daughter and I will go to Falaticís Meat Market to grind and mix beef, pork, and all the other stuff listed earlier in this thread. We should come home with real close to 80 lbs of mix, or just under 17 pans of 35 once rolled and baked.

For today, the job is to get the sauce made and cooled. This will be approximately 160lbs of sauce. It will take one more pot smaller than these. So far all that is in it is 18 cans of ground peeled and some tomato juice. Giving my back a rest. Seasoning is together in a bowl but not in yet. Next is cut up and sautť veg, grate a bunch of cheese - some for the sauce and more for the meatball mix. I have learned some useful things about cooling this much sauce down. That, in turn, will help us cool the meatballs quickly and safely beginning tomorrow late afternoon.

Itís good to be back at it. :)
-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2019, 04:55:16 PM »
Good to see you back at it. I bet everyone missed your awesome meatballs, they sure are good!
Hans

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2019, 06:40:09 PM »
After having to sit December 2018 out, I (and all of us here) am happy to have this yearís batch underway. Tomorrow afternoon my daughter and I will go to Falaticís Meat Market to grind and mix beef, pork, and all the other stuff listed earlier in this thread. We should come home with real close to 80 lbs of mix, or just under 17 pans of 35 once rolled and baked.

For today, the job is to get the sauce made and cooled. This will be approximately 160lbs of sauce. It will take one more pot smaller than these. So far all that is in it is 18 cans of ground peeled and some tomato juice. Giving my back a rest. Seasoning is together in a bowl but not in yet. Next is cut up and sautť veg, grate a bunch of cheese - some for the sauce and more for the meatball mix. I have learned some useful things about cooling this much sauce down. That, in turn, will help us cool the meatballs quickly and safely beginning tomorrow late afternoon.

I could prolly take a couple gallons of that off your hands.... Don't sound like you'll have much to spare though.... :drool:. ☃️

Hope you have fun T . 8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2019, 07:51:58 PM »
Thank you, Hans. If you will be passing through on your usual January road trip let me know.

Bob, I wish you were nearby. We have plenty thatís for sure. I am having fun. Not as productive as Iíd like to be but it will get done.
-Tony

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2019, 08:59:41 PM »
Good to see you back at it. I bet everyone missed your awesome meatballs, they sure are good!

^^^ :drool:

Norma

Offline tkmcmichael

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2019, 09:33:36 PM »

That is awesome Tony. I just found this thread and read the entire thing. I was wondering if you were grinding the meat at Falatics, that place is awesome. We probably buy 120-150lbs of hot dogs from them for the club each summer. They are the best!! I am sure your friends are really happy to be getting the meatballs again.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2019, 10:10:10 PM »
Thank you, Hans. If you will be passing through on your usual January road trip let me know.

I wish! We're taking it to Little Rock this year, so not driving back.  :'(
Hans

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2019, 11:35:05 PM »
That is awesome Tony. I just found this thread and read the entire thing. I was wondering if you were grinding the meat at Falatics, that place is awesome. We probably buy 120-150lbs of hot dogs from them for the club each summer. They are the best!! I am sure your friends are really happy to be getting the meatballs again.
Thanks, Tom. Man there are a lot of typos in this thing. I was (and am) banging it out on an iPad (by choice) and I think I was awaiting my first pair of glasses when this began.

Falaticís is a good place with great people. My picture is up up on their wall now  ;D . Long story but somehow at University of Chicago during my longest stay, meatballs and Falaticís came up. The young doctor who is the Fellow on my case just about fainted. Dr. Ben D. is the person there who, among the countless people who helped and worked on me, that we are the closest to. There were several times he came in on a day off in jeans and spend 45 minutes with my wife and me talking about everything from music and movies to the latest myeloma research. He told me his wifeís family has a place near there and that several months a year his father in law is in there 2-3 times a week. So I asked the guys at Falaticís if they know Mike and start telling them this crazy story. ĒYeah, we know Mike - hereís his picture with his other daughter.Ē I told them I was going to get a picture of me with Ben at my next appointment. ďPut it up there next to Mikeís and see what he says.Ē About 6 weeks later I brought them the photo. Mike got a big kick out of it too. Unfortunately, I have not met him yet but think I may see him when I bring Fanaticís their package of finished meatballs. They have quite a few people who know to stop by and have a couple.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 11:37:10 PM by foreplease »
-Tony

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2019, 11:54:47 PM »
I knew I needed 5 1/2 lbs of Parm Reg. Last place I got 2 nice 3# chunks online isnít in business any more. All the others had only something called a ďclub cut.Ē I never found out what that meant but concluded it meant I would be getting 1 lb pieces with both a top or bottom rind and an edge rind. Thatís fine with me if Iím nursing an 8oz piece through a couple months of pizza and pasta, but itís too much waste for this. Anyway, I was trying to add up the weights of these pieces as I put them in the cart at Whole Foods came pretty close. I had to toss in a 5 oz piece here I already had. Everything is colled down and in the garage fridge now. Long day.

tkmcmichael: Yes, they do have buffalo mozzarella. I got a couple last Friday. I donít remember the price but it wasnít crazy considering where I was. They have it in 3 different ball sizes. Itís next to and looks like the burrata. I almost grabbed the wrong packages.

-Tony

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2019, 05:48:39 PM »
It was late before we got this sauce (refrigerator pic) put away. After prepping all the non-meat ingredients at home this morning, my daughter went with me to Falaticís this afternoon. She was a huge help as were the folks at the butcher shop. We were barely there an hour!

Second pan is almost ready to go in the oven. My break time is over. :)

-Tony

Offline tkmcmichael

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2019, 09:27:31 PM »
I know this is off topic but I have been having a hard time seeing pictures on the Tapatalk app. I looked on the website and saw the pictures. Looks like a great day.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2019, 10:44:17 PM »
I know this is off topic but I have been having a hard time seeing pictures on the Tapatalk app. I looked on the website and saw the pictures. Looks like a great day.
You might find answers by searching the sub-forum below. If not, try posting a new topic there. Steve (owner and administrator of pm.com) looks at stuff fast and always seems to find solutions. I have never tried the Tapatalk app. I considered it for a work related forum but never got to it.
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?board=40.0
-Tony

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2019, 07:17:14 AM »
I love this thread.  Can't wait to see the finished product.  I made 6 lbs of meatballs last weekend.  I used your recipe as a base, I had to modify slightly because I had to leave out the tomato paste.  They were good.   

I use tapatalk when i'm on my phone and tablet ,  I haven't had any problems with pictures.  I have had it a long time, it says pro.  I think I  paid for an upgrade, maybe that's the difference.
Deb

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2019, 09:03:00 AM »
I love this thread.  Can't wait to see the finished product.  I made 6 lbs of meatballs last weekend.  I used your recipe as a base, I had to modify slightly because I had to leave out the tomato paste.  They were good.   
Thank you, Deb. Iím happy that you tried something close to our recipe and liked them. Having read so many of your posts I am confident that any change you made would be good. Normally, I am a little more carefree with recipes and methods we use at home. For what we are doing itís more of a production and consistency issue from year to year and with various family member working on it.
-Tony

Offline tkmcmichael

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2019, 01:05:00 PM »
Did you get them all distributed? Merry Christmas.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2019, 01:16:57 PM »
Did you get them all distributed? Merry Christmas.
Well, not exactly. Iím hoping a few dozen packages made it to the freezer. I was admitted to the hospital through the ER 11 pm Fri and am still here. Itís looking like I may be out and home by 4:00. Our big family dinner was last night. My kids ended up preparing it and doing a nice job. I had pot roast at Lakeland :) that was actually good.

Just got off the phone with kids who wanted some direction or coaching for pizza tonight. I made the dough around 2 weeks ago. One way or another we are eating that and maybe meatballs tonight. Being nearby and a new friend, you may be hearing from me once I see how many packages made it to the freezer. Friday I delivered 3 big packages to friends with businesses I have worked with. Soon after it became apparent the meatball season was over for me and I came here.
-Tony