A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Hermit's Pizza Fare  (Read 117587 times)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Re: Hermit's Pizza Fare
« Reply #360 on: April 08, 2017, 12:07:29 AM »
You're right this last pie demonstrated that.  Sauce on top has a more concentrated flavor.  I think this sauce is fine without salty toppings.  I didn't get the spaghetti reference so perhaps it's their perception.  Those S&W tomatoes definitely need to be treated different from SM tomatoes.  I can see it making a nice salsa.

I feel like the sauce didn't cook enough when I tried boardwalk style. For some reason the sauce got cold really fast, it was strange. I think my sauce was too thick, I want to try one with a wet sauce, like blended whole peeled tomatoes; I think it would spread more to get that really nice melt like Johnny's does who goes sauce first. 

I see you left out the cheddar - what did you think of straight mozz with no parm? Looks like you got a good take with this first boardwalk attempt! I bet the textures are interesting with a topping; I haven't tried it but a pepperoni or sausagepizza built Boardwalk style is probably pretty unique.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline Hermit

• I make do with what I have
« Reply #361 on: April 08, 2017, 12:15:26 AM »
Straight mozz was ok, the GV is very bland.  I'd like to try with natural and kosher brand shredded and I agree a wetter sauce or at least blended into a puree.  This sauce I used has some texture.  If it spread more evenly it would have made the flavor better.  With the cheese first it seemed the crust under the cheese was more bready texture though the bottom had some crunch.

More experimentation required =)

Offline Hermit

« Reply #362 on: April 09, 2017, 11:45:01 AM »
Thinking of turning this one into American style and making a 14" pie.  TF of 0.116.

Flour (100%):
Water (59%):
ADY (0.6%):
Salt (2%):
Olive Oil (3%):
Sugar (1.5%):
DMP (60 lintner) (0.5%):
Total (166.6%):
303.12 g\
178.84 g
1.82 g
6.06 g
9.09 g
4.55 g
1.52 g
505 g | 17.81 oz | 1.11 lbs | TF = N/A

Bumped up the DMP a touch, dropped water  and yeast down and added some more oil.  I also switched to the paddle attachment in my KA mixer as it seemed to knead these single doughs much better.  Final dough temp was 72.5F.  RT is 61F.  Hoping to bake in 4-5 hours.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 11:58:43 AM by Hermit »

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #363 on: April 09, 2017, 12:18:31 PM »
Nice, how are you going to bake it? I want to make another American but I keep trying other stuff. I have this picture saved in my pizza folder though that keeps nagging me to make one!

Offline Hermit

« Reply #364 on: April 09, 2017, 12:45:19 PM »
 :drool: That's what I'm talking about.  I am a little hesitant to bake it too long so I am going to cook the sauce for a little bit, maybe 5 mins as I have no clue what the boil will look like on this TF.  It's been a while since I did this TF. 

I was thinking of going to the top rack to get better color on the cheese like PJ.  Still 500F bake, hoping for a 7m30s bake like my NY style, the browning from the sugar and DMP are going to be the driving factors.  If the DMP ends up causing too much browning I'll probably reduce that by half and boost the sugar more.  The dough felt really good so I am hopeful to the texture.  The hope is a little extra oil will keep the crust tender.

Offline Hermit

« Reply #365 on: April 09, 2017, 04:09:18 PM »
American pie, 14", 5.5oz of cooked S&W bold sauce, 9oz of great value LMPS mozz, hormel slices and hot cappicola.  Pizza baked on screen 3rd from bottom rack at 500F for 7m30s.  Got a nice even cook except on the rim at the back of the oven, a little char.  With the thicker sauce got the LMPS mozz to color up well.  Think this needs a little more sugar and perhaps less DMP to compensate.  Dough tastes fine just needs a little sweetness.  Rim was brushed with garlic butter post bake then topped with reggiano.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #366 on: April 09, 2017, 06:14:01 PM »
Nice American style Hermit, I bet those bones were good  :pizza: how would you compare this effort to your PJ's clone attempts.

Offline Hermit

« Reply #367 on: April 09, 2017, 06:21:19 PM »
Thanks!  The bones were good, I am still full after half of that pizza.  Part of me wanted to keep going.  The sauce was tangy and really good having cooked 8oz of the NY style sauce down to 5.5oz.  PJ clone dough has better flavor from the CF.  This dough handled really well after 4H at about 61F.  I think I need to drop the rim size down some to thicken up the crust in the middle of the pie, or increase the TF.

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #368 on: April 09, 2017, 07:27:55 PM »
Just caught up on your last couple bakes. Looking good! I really like the center of the boardwalk pie. Beautiful melt and comingling of the sauce/cheese.
Matt

Offline Hermit

« Reply #369 on: April 12, 2017, 02:29:59 PM »
Gonna do a 4-5H RT dough for 12" NY Style.  Bumped the sugar and oil some, left out the DMP, going to try and get color without DMP and see how the flavor is.

Flour (100%):
Water (58%):
ADY (0.6%):
Salt (2%):
Oil (3%):
Sugar (2%):
Total (165.6%):
154.89 g  |  5.46 oz | 0.34 lbs
89.84 g  |  3.17 oz | 0.2 lbs
0.93 g | 0.03 oz | 0 lbs | 0.25 tsp | 0.08 tbsp
3.1 g | 0.11 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.56 tsp | 0.19 tbsp
4.65 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.03 tsp | 0.34 tbsp
3.1 g | 0.11 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.78 tsp | 0.26 tbsp
256.5 g | 9.05 oz | 0.57 lbs | TF = 0.08

Offline Hermit

« Reply #370 on: April 12, 2017, 08:35:15 PM »
12" NY style, 5H RT about 64F.  4oz S&W bold blend sauce, 2.5oz great value LMPS mozz, 2.5oz natural and kosher mozz, hormel slices in-between cheese layers.  Baked on screen at 525F for 6mins.  I am going to drop the sugar back down on this recipe as I was getting close to charring.  Didn't really miss the DMP.  No hard cheese, salt level is about max here before becoming too salty.

Offline goosta

« Reply #371 on: April 12, 2017, 09:08:20 PM »
Looks awesome. I'm digging the cheese melt. Nice job!  :)
Ron

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #372 on: April 13, 2017, 09:05:21 PM »
Looks great. Aside from the near-char, what'd you think of the texture given 3% oil and 2% sugar? I'm considering trying a 4% oil bake.
Matt

Offline Hermit

« Reply #373 on: April 13, 2017, 09:16:08 PM »
Thanks ya'll.  The melt seemed to benefit a little to having some cheese on top of the pepperonis,  Makes me wonder if I should try and reduce the water content of my sauce more if that may help.

I was struggling to find much of a difference in texture, 4% would be interesting to try.  I believe the GM NY style formula has a fairly high % of oil.  I'd like to boost the sugar more and see how it tastes/performs at 500F.  I actually wasn't trying to bake at 525F on that pie but it happened  :-[  I plan to revisit the honey as well except without any DMP.

Next up is going to be a malnati clone attempt next week.  I've never had one so interested to see how the dough tastes.  I think I have everything except for the sliced mozz.

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #374 on: April 13, 2017, 09:19:57 PM »
Looks awesome. I'm digging the cheese melt. Nice job!  :)

^^^ ^^^....Nice work Shane!!
Bob

Offline Hermit

« Reply #375 on: April 17, 2017, 06:50:09 PM »
Thanks ya'll!  Appreciate it, the pies are turning out really well here, I want to keep plugging away at same day doughs since it's easy to practice and I can make the doughs in the morning when I'm drinking coffee and get focused =)

Tomorrow I am going to try a malnati clone, not going to do sausage, thinking just pepperoni and cheese to see how the meats do under the tomatoes.  This is based on BTB's recipe found here - https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6480.msg249211#msg249211

Going to bake it in my wilton 12" springform pan - http://www.wilton.com/deep-dish-springform-pizza-pan/2105-8242.html

The recipe was tweaked to drop the yeast down from 0.6 to 0.4 since I'll do a little CF tonight and then bring up to RT tomorrow morning and let it continue to proof at RT for 7H.

Gold Medal AP (100%):
Water (47%):
ADY (0.4%):
Salt (1%):
Olive Oil (6%):
Corn Oil (12%):
Sugar (1.5%):
Butter/Margarine (6%):
Total (173.9%):
294.28 g  |  10.38 oz | 0.65 lbs
138.31 g  |  4.88 oz | 0.3 lbs
1.18 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.31 tsp | 0.1 tbsp
2.94 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.53 tsp | 0.18 tbsp
17.66 g | 0.62 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.92 tsp | 1.31 tbsp
35.31 g | 1.25 oz | 0.08 lbs | 7.85 tsp | 2.62 tbsp
4.41 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.11 tsp | 0.37 tbsp
17.66 g | 0.62 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.73 tsp | 1.24 tbsp
511.75 g | 18.05 oz | 1.13 lbs | TF = N/A

Offline Hermit

« Reply #376 on: April 18, 2017, 09:42:13 AM »
I was laying in bed last night starting to overthink my process on this new experiment, lou malnati sauce.  I've seen a ton of youtube videos and notice they're using the whole peeled tomatoes slightly broken apart and added to the pizza.  I know I gotta season the sauce so I guess my approach is going to be similar to what I do with the NY style except no blender.  I'm thinking to just drain the tomatoes, cooking down the juice to a sauce or paste consistency, then adding that to the whole tomatoes, season the tomatoes and gently hand mixing them together then adding them to the pie so the salt and spices will be all in the sauce instead of just the top side.

BTB's recipe has me a little concerned, he references using 14oz of whole milk mozz, 3-4oz of provolone, then 22oz of tomatoes for as 12" pie.  That might actually be right as I seem to remember Mark Malnati putting a pie on a scale (I thought it was a 12", maybe 10" ?) and it tipped in at 6lbs!  :o  He did say it was only 8oz of cheese -

The other concern I am having is which oven rack and how long to bake it.  I am thinking of trying BTB's method of preheating the oven to about 475F, then put the pizza in and reduce heat to 450F and bake for roughly 30-40mins.  I've been having a lot of luck with the 3rd from bottom (2nd from top) rack for top and bottom coloration on NY pies in that position.

Dough is out of CF and now in RT, going to let it proof for about 9-9.5hrs.

Offline Hermit

« Reply #377 on: April 18, 2017, 07:46:59 PM »
First off, this crust is amazing, very flaky and tender with a nice crisp on the outside.  Loads of flavor though personally I think it was ready about 2H earlier so I might adjust the ADY for that.  The dough was very aromatic after I uncovered it prior to stretching into the pan.

Basically the dough was CF until about 7:30AM then was brought to RT and fermented until 5:00PM.  I used about 1 Tbsp of crisco butter shortening to coast the 12" pan all the way up.  I then placed the dough into the pan and stretched it evenly all the way up the sides about 1 3/4".  I added in 14oz of GV LMPS mozz shreds, pepperoni slices (full coverage) and then 15oz of cento organic SM whole peeled tomatoes strained and seasoned with 1/2 tsp of salt.  Then an unknown amount of reggiano on top, next time I am thinking more as some of the whole tomatoes didn't get much salt, it tasted good and very different from the flavorful tomatoes used in NY style.

The oven was preheated to 475F for 30mins, then when the pie was put in the 3rd from bottom rack, I dropped the temp down to 450F.  The pie ended up being done at about 21-22mins.

It was a really rich and buttery pizza with a very tender crust.  The dough ended up soaking up all of the crisco shortening as the pan was completely clean when I removed the pie.  The bottom which I didnt get a picture of was the same color as the side.  Great plate pizza with a fork as Mark Malnati says.  Next time, I want to do a sausage pie.  I will for sure be doing this one again, it was a nice change of pace and dough was so simple to make and form in the pan.  Also I am thinking another 6-8oz of sauce would be best.  Not a cheap pie to make but 1/3 of the pie and I'm well full  >:D

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #378 on: April 18, 2017, 08:54:35 PM »
Killer pie Hermit! Always good to switch it up. Looks like you have a nice collection of recipes for a bunch of different styles now. Isnt it funny how the more fat you put in a dough the lighter it tastes?! I'm curious, did the high fat percent effect the dough flavor in any way, good or bad?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #379 on: April 18, 2017, 09:02:14 PM »
Hermit,

I know it can be difficult to pick a favorite from among several different styles of pizzas but do you have one, either a clone or a real one? And does your family have a preference?

Peter

wordpress