A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: ischia starter  (Read 1545 times)

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
ischia starter
« on: January 11, 2017, 05:56:16 PM »
ive had my starter going for almost two weeks now and i havent seen much rise in my doughs. ive been using my starter to make some baguettes from the breadwerx recipe in the bread thread. it doesnt appear to be dead. should i be waiting a certain amount of hours after feeding it to make dough or is using the half of the starter i'm throwing away fine to use?

Offline Lucky Duck

• So much to learn...what fun.
Re: ischia starter
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 07:48:36 AM »
There's so many super knowledgeable folks on here that I hate to pipe up, but this touches on a question of my own, so I'll answer your question by explaining what I do, which I'm not sure is right.  I'm wondering if this thread is dead, though, ha, ha.

I keep my fridge starter small, 60 grams, so that once a week I can generally pull out half of that about 30 hours before I want to make dough.  That gives me enough time to feed three times, so 30 grams I'm pulling out becomes 60 on the counter, and 10 hours later 120, and 8 hours later 240 grams, which generally means my starter is ready to party. 

I've seen recipes that call for a very small amount of revved up starter being added to maybe 10x as much flour/water mix that is allowed to sit for 12 hours to produce the levain.  Is this better?  I don't know, but would love to hear an expert comment. 

The purpose of my method is to avoid the waste involved in typical cut and feed.

If the starter you were getting ready to throw away is a week old, as mine would be, my guess is it isn't active enough to use yet. 

Offline halfprice

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 02:16:22 PM »
ive had my starter going for almost two weeks now and i havent seen much rise in my doughs. ive been using my starter to make some baguettes from the breadwerx recipe in the bread thread. it doesnt appear to be dead. should i be waiting a certain amount of hours after feeding it to make dough or is using the half of the starter i'm throwing away fine to use?
Lot more people more qualified than me but ill give it a shot.   Take the amount of starter that you were going to throw away and feed it. If coming out of the fridge you may beed to feed it a couple times. It should double in  4-5 hours.  Normally the best time to use your starter is when it just starts to collapse which is after it has risen.

Hope this helos you

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 07:31:02 PM »
Lot more people more qualified than me but ill give it a shot.   Take the amount of starter that you were going to throw away and feed it. If coming out of the fridge you may beed to feed it a couple times. It should double in  4-5 hours.  Normally the best time to use your starter is when it just starts to collapse which is after it has risen.

Hope this helos you

when i first started it, it grew alot then collapsed but since it seems to grow and then pretty much stay there and not collapse

Offline halfprice

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 01:06:09 AM »
How much starter to flour to water are you using

I do 100gms starter 100gms flour and 85gms purified water

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 11:23:06 PM »
not sure on the starter amount but i usually feed it 1/4 flour and 1/4 cup or less of water.

Offline halfprice

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 10:31:03 PM »
You should get a good scale so you know exactly what youre adding

1/4 flour to 1/4 water might be to much water. If its to much water the starter wont have enough structure  to rise properly

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 05:40:35 PM »
ive been feeding my starter 2-3 times a week and i went to feed it today and it smelled awful. i noticed some small dark colored spots towards the top of the jar. i assume its time for the trash?

Offline robertscalchi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 12:07:08 AM »
Don't trash it yet. Wash it, then refresh it.  Meaning liquify it with water, wisk it, then dump half, and refresh with flour to consistancy like pancake batter. Place it in your oven next to the clear light bulb you turn on for light. To get it into the 80 degree range to amp up the yeasts to outperform over the bacteria. The yeast preferred optimum temperature between 85 and 100 degrees to make them active. Make sure to notify any other users in the house like the wife not to turn on the oven while you are doing this or you'll be smelling melted plastic and starter.  The reason why it smells like ass is because the bacteria is overpowering the yeast at this moment. The micro bubble only at the top and the rancid smell is the bacteria. When you get slightly larger bubbles in liquefied starter, and you get a sweet sour alcoholic smell. Then you know the yeast are starting to perform. Your goal is to reduce the liquefied starter and down to one third of your container. And then practically make a dough out of it by refreshing it again with fresh flour. Another words once semi-active you want thicken and thicken it's consistency to provide ample food source so It practically explodes. If you can get your starter to triple in size from 1/3 to 3/3 in 4 hrs  then it's good to go. Will send some pictures tomorrow I'm refreshing mine from the freezer right now. Once you understand how to handle the starter I have another suggestion... Try beer yeast and make a starter or biga. Whole another level of taste. One more suggestion is when you wash and refresh try heating up the water in the microwave for 30 seconds up to about a hundred degrees but no higher or you will kill the starter
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 12:14:29 AM by robertscalchi »

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 02:19:42 AM »
Do you keep it at room temp? Feeding it twice a week is not enough if it is. You should feed it every 24 hours unless it is refrigerated. If you don't have the time to do that, put it in the refrigerator after use. The next time you want to use it remove from refrigerator 24-48 hours ahead and refresh again to get it active.
Hans

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 06:14:33 PM »
Do you keep it at room temp? Feeding it twice a week is not enough if it is. You should feed it every 24 hours unless it is refrigerated. If you don't have the time to do that, put it in the refrigerator after use. The next time you want to use it remove from refrigerator 24-48 hours ahead and refresh again to get it active.
yes, i keep it at rt. i tossed it and got the camaldoli starter going.

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 04:06:39 AM »
At room temp, you'll need to feed it every 24 hours.
Hans

wordpress