A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Food Truck Dough Managment System?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline PeaceofPizza

• I Love Pizza!
Food Truck Dough Managment System?
« on: March 25, 2017, 07:23:01 PM »
In your expertise, what dough management system would you apply to running and operating a Neapolitan Food Truck?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Food Truck Dough Managment System?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 08:32:34 PM »
I would apply my standard Dough Management Procedure but most food trucks are not going to have the space to accommodate it so I would begin with using individual food bags for the dough balls rather than dough boxes. If at all possible I would mix, scale bag and refrigerate the dough for 24 to48-hours off site and load the cooler with dough balls on a daily basis or as needed. If possible, I would like to see the dough balls warm to 50F but again, that may not be possible in the confines of the food truck so I might be inclined to increase the dough absorption by about 2% over that which you would normally use and work with the dough directly out of the cooler/fridge. A couple of tools that you will want to have handy are a correct (flat tipped) dough docker and some kind of a bubble popper (a BBQ fork works well).
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 10:26:53 PM »
Peace,
Been at the mobile now for 4-5 years. Dough Management is by far the hardest peace of the equation for sure sooo many variables. Takes time to figure what will work for you and your truck? How much refrigeration do you have ? inside temp of truck , dough making  process .... I can go on and on :) Truck temp varies from 20 in Jan to 130 in August gotta know your dough ! 1 word TIMING
I have seen some people freeze in bags and pull from big cooler to tray as they go  saves room. I can roll out with 72 in truck right outta fridge, 96 in 2 travel bags,  96 prep table and final 48 in fridge I then use em in that order and its a real balancing act but no freeze please . Thats about as many as I want to make in a day  BIG time event need support vehicle fridge or some places offer you storage .  For the standard 50-75ppl catering its gotten pretty simple and that's almost as much $ as all the other goodies and 1/4 the work ! 1 other word well 2 Private Catering !
Good luck and let me know it I can help at all ?
john
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfire.net

Offline PeaceofPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 04:19:21 PM »
I appreciate the reply back gentleman. To be honest, I don't know which direction we're going to go in.  I really don't want to CF our product at any point. This may change as I mess around and simulate characteristics of working in that type of environment, but we aren't limited to doing just Neapolitan. We specifically left it out of our company name on purpose. We just want to make really good and honest food. The more we try and figure out a solution, the more I like the idea of bulk fermenting for a couple of hours, then ball to desired weight into proofing boxes or sheet pans 5-6 hours prior to using. With the intention of using a commercial wine cooler to "hold" remaining dough throughout service. Is this an idea that is doomed for failure?

Thanks..

Offline Kazryn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 12:45:50 AM »
We're 5 years into having a pizza truck, and dough management is the one thing that keeps me awake at night, just wondering how on earth we can keep our product consistent, especially the differences between summer and winter temps here in NZ!!!
I've tried CF with limited success to be honest, we don't have huge chiller capacity so if I ball up in bags and I can never get the temperature right to work with my dough. Hubby hates working with dough that hasn't come up to a good temperature as the WFO tends to blacken the base considerably, even around temps of 350-400 celcius. So we're at a point where we use a same day dough, proofed in boxes and used over 4-6 hours. My overflow is in bags which I keep in the chiller, and use as a last resort if we're flat tack and run out. And you know, it actually works really well for us, but it's always in the back of my head that it's probably not proper dough to the experts!
My CF bagged dough is always hard to open, super wet (which I suspect is because I close the bags up immediately), and just a bit demoralizing if I have to put it bluntly! It doesn't help that I cant find a flour which I consider good to work with, unless I go for 00, which is a crazy price here and performs so differently to the standard flour I normally use!
I'm sure you'll find something that works for you and I guess that's key. We started off having no idea about ANYTHING and now we sell a product which has a great following.

Offline EzzellC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 06:37:54 AM »
We're 5 years into having a pizza truck, and dough management is the one thing that keeps me awake at night, just wondering how on earth we can keep our product consistent, especially the differences between summer and winter temps here in NZ!!!
I've tried CF with limited success to be honest, we don't have huge chiller capacity so if I ball up in bags and I can never get the temperature right to work with my dough. Hubby hates working with dough that hasn't come up to a good temperature as the WFO tends to blacken the base considerably, even around temps of 350-400 celcius. So we're at a point where we use a same day dough, proofed in boxes and used over 4-6 hours. My overflow is in bags which I keep in the chiller, and use as a last resort if we're flat tack and run out. And you know, it actually works really well for us, but it's always in the back of my head that it's probably not proper dough to the experts!
My CF bagged dough is always hard to open, super wet (which I suspect is because I close the bags up immediately), and just a bit demoralizing if I have to put it bluntly! It doesn't help that I cant find a flour which I consider good to work with, unless I go for 00, which is a crazy price here and performs so differently to the standard flour I normally use!
I'm sure you'll find something that works for you and I guess that's key. We started off having no idea about ANYTHING and now we sell a product which has a great following.

Thanks for the reply! That's my thinking as well. I would rather figure out a system that consists of a shorter ferment time opposed to using CF. With that being said, I haven't done enough experimenting to be sure. Its both nerve racking and exhilarating trying to come up with a process that produces great and consistent food. Again, thanks for the comment/advice. We appreciate it..

wordpress