A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Yeast  (Read 354 times)

Offline dond1957

• I Love Pizza!
Yeast
« on: April 08, 2020, 02:13:42 PM »
I am running low on dried yeast (instant ) but found frozen fresh yeast .How much fresh yeast would i use compared to instant . 

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Yeast
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 03:43:13 PM »
That's an impossible question to answer as I don't know how much damage the CY has sustained as a result of being frozen (CY does not tolerate freezing all that well). The best advice I can offer is to use it at 2.5 times your IDY level and see how it performs. If it appears slow you can increase the amount of CY but be aware that the freezing process will damage the yeast cells resulting in the release of glutathione into the dough making softer and more extensible than normal. To some extent this can be addressed by reducing the total dough absorption a couple percent. If you see any of this I wouldn't advise trying for any long fermentation times (limit CF to not more than 24-hours) as the softening will continue during the CF time.
By the way, unopened IDY can be frozen for up to 2-years with just a 25% loss of activity.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline MarkC

• I love Pizza
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 05:28:16 PM »
Tom,

For those having trouble finding commercial yeast, do you see any problem in using a packet of yeast to create a starter and then just popping it into the fridge?  Kind of like a sourdough starter but made with commercial yeast.  In theory, shouldn't I be able to make a packet of yeast last forever by retarding it in the fridge & feeding it once in a while?

I realize it's much more work.. but if you want to bake, and you run out of yeast.. wouldn't this be an option?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 08:57:12 PM »
We do begin to see some changes in the "brew" (which is what you are describing) after about 36-hours in the fridge but these changes are hard to see in pizza crust production (bread making is a TOTALLY different story) so you should be good doing as proposed, but since we are not propagating yeast we are only diluting the existing population of cells, with time you will find that you will need to add ever increasing amounts of the brew to maintain equivalent gassing/fermentation power.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 11:51:51 PM »
Tom,

For those having trouble finding commercial yeast, do you see any problem in using a packet of yeast to create a starter and then just popping it into the fridge?  Kind of like a sourdough starter but made with commercial yeast.  In theory, shouldn't I be able to make a packet of yeast last forever by retarding it in the fridge & feeding it once in a while?

I realize it's much more work.. but if you want to bake, and you run out of yeast.. wouldn't this be an option?
Use much smaller amounts of yeast and do long room temperature ferments to preserve your yeast.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 04:59:47 AM »
When I started making bread I used a poolish.  0.2g fresh CY, 125g flour and 125g water, mix and leave for 12 hours until nice and bubbly.  That poolish preferment used to ferment a bread of nearly a kilo (before baking).
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

wordpress