A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Gold Medal Neapolitan Pizza Flour  (Read 2242 times)

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
Gold Medal Neapolitan Pizza Flour
« on: January 23, 2017, 10:38:39 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with this flour? Is it a general mills version of caputo 00?

Spec Link:
http://www.generalmillscf.com/services/productpdf.ashx?pid=50237000

I got a few General Mills flour samples
sent to me and this was one of them.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 11:15:21 PM by PapaJon »
Jon

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Gold Medal Neapolitan Pizza Flour
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 11:07:16 PM »
I tested it pretty extensively a couple years ago and found it to make pizza that is all but identical to pizza made with Caputo Pizzeria (only tested sub-60-second Neapolitan). I think it's basically Harvest King without the malt. I posted a lot of pictures in my thread.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
Gold Medal Neapolitan Pizza Flour
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 11:14:06 PM »
I tested it pretty extensively a couple years ago and found it to make pizza that is all but identical to pizza made with Caputo Pizzeria (only tested sub-60-second Neapolitan). I think it's basically Harvest King without the malt. I posted a lot of pictures in my thread.
Awesome thanks, that would make sense as the protein content was the same. Thats also good news as I would not have been able to utilize 00 properly.

Thanks!
Jon

Offline bradtri

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 01:00:36 PM »
I use it too and really like it ... pretty nice to get 50# bag for $14 at my local bakery supply store. 

I need to figure out the coding on the side of the bag though to make sure I'm not getting stuff that's been sitting around for too long.
A Taste of Naples Pizza
www.atasteofnaplespizza.com
https://www.facebook.com/ATasteofNaplesPizza/
"Let Us Bring A Taste of Naples To Your Next Party"

Offline vtsteve

• If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 02:18:52 PM »
I need to figure out the coding on the side of the bag though to make sure I'm not getting stuff that's been sitting around for too long.
Maybe this?

From https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information-center/self-reliance/food-storage-frequently-asked-questions/closed-dating-codes-used-by-some-food-manufacturers

GENERAL MILLS:

The manufacturing date is coded to their fiscal year that begins on June 1st and ends on May 31st.

Interpret the code as follows:

The first character of the code is a letter and represents the month the product was made.

The second character in the code is a number which represents the year the product was made.

The following two characters are numbers that represent the day of the month the product was made.

The remaining characters following identify plant location and shift information.

Example: A packing code of E731B would translate as follows:

E = October
7 = 1997
31 = 31st day of the month
B = A plant location

The following is their 12 month cycle. The letter "I" is not used because it can be confused with the number "1".

A = June E = October J = February
B = July F = November K = March
C = August G = December L = April
D = September H = January M = May

In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 04:53:19 PM »
Craig, after re-reading your response I think I may have misunderstood. You are saying that in your tests it WAS comparable to Caputo Pizzeria. I don't have the means to hit sub 90 second bake times though so I wonder if I will be able to use. I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that if you cannot get Neapolitan temps for quick back times then the Caputo Pizzeria flour would not perform well, does this mean that I would likely have a hard time using this flour?

I will be baking in a standard kitchen ovens with either a max temp of 500F or 525F (I have access to two). Both are gas and have broilers in the top of the main compartment. I have both 1" thick kiln shelving, and 0.5" thick steel options, but have not used either of these ovens to try and reach high temperature bakes in. Will have to play around with them, but I'm guessing with the broiler going I will still be sub 700F. My target for now is either a good NY style or a near-politan.

Jon

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 05:04:57 PM »
Craig, after re-reading your response I think I may have misunderstood. You are saying that in your tests it WAS comparable to Caputo Pizzeria. I don't have the means to hit sub 90 second bake times though so I wonder if I will be able to use. I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that if you cannot get Neapolitan temps for quick back times then the Caputo Pizzeria flour would not perform well, does this mean that I would likely have a hard time using this flour?

I will be baking in a standard kitchen ovens with either a max temp of 500F or 525F (I have access to two). Both are gas and have broilers in the top of the main compartment. I have both 1" thick kiln shelving, and 0.5" thick steel options, but have not used either of these ovens to try and reach high temperature bakes in. Will have to play around with them, but I'm guessing with the broiler going I will still be sub 700F. My target for now is either a good NY style or a near-politan.

Yes, it is very comparable to Caputo Pizzeria flour. In a standard oven, I think Spring King is a much better choice.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 05:20:01 PM »
Yes, it is very comparable to Caputo Pizzeria flour. In a standard oven, I think Spring King is a much better choice.

While i don't have Spring King, I do have Harvest King and All Trumps, which of these do you think would work better in a sub 700F oven?

Thanks
Jon

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 06:56:27 PM »
While i don't have Spring King, I do have Harvest King and All Trumps, which of these do you think would work better in a sub 700F oven?

Thanks

My bad. I meant Harvest King.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 08:14:18 PM »
spring king is great too!

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 11:57:48 AM »
This is getting slightly off topic, but was my oversimplified assumption that the higher the protein content in the flour made it better for pizza dough incorrect? Harvest King is 12% and All Trumpf is 14.2%.
Jon

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 12:02:02 PM »
Yes, that is incorrect. There may be certain instances where higher is better to a point. There are others where higher is decidedly worse. You need to experiment to find out what works best for you.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 01:57:30 PM »
Maybe this?

From https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information-center/self-reliance/food-storage-frequently-asked-questions/closed-dating-codes-used-by-some-food-manufacturers

GENERAL MILLS:

Example: A packing code of E731B would translate as follows:

E = October
7 = 1997
31 = 31st day of the month
B = A plant location

The following is their 12 month cycle. The letter "I" is not used because it can be confused with the number "1".

A = June E = October J = February
B = July F = November K = March
C = August G = December L = April
D = September H = January M = May

Excellent!!  Thanks vtsteve!
A Taste of Naples Pizza
www.atasteofnaplespizza.com
https://www.facebook.com/ATasteofNaplesPizza/
"Let Us Bring A Taste of Naples To Your Next Party"

Offline lelferreira

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 02:29:48 PM »
Yes, that is incorrect. There may be certain instances where higher is better to a point. There are others where higher is decidedly worse. You need to experiment to find out what works best for you.

hey Craig!

could you give more details on that? when does it become worse having more gluten in a neapolitan style pizza?

Iíve been experimenting mixing caputo pizzeria and manitoba...

Thanks!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 02:55:51 PM »
If it's making the pizza tough, I'd consider it a bad thing. It's subjective though. I like my NP to pull apart with just the slightest force and basically melt in the mouth.