A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Lucali; has anyone come close?  (Read 69648 times)

Offline Chi_Guy

Re: Lucali; has anyone come close?
« Reply #200 on: June 13, 2020, 06:34:14 AM »
This was entertaining to watch!

Huntís tomato sauce?  Gold Medal flour?  Iím already skeptical about the authenticity of the recipe.

Offline Chi_Guy

« Reply #201 on: June 13, 2020, 06:40:00 AM »
So while I'm awful at math, 62HR, .5% yeast, rounded off right?

Thatís what I had too.  Converting the recipe he gave her to grams:

1587.5g of flour
993.5g of water (62.5%)
8.5g of yeast. (0.53%)
26.6g of olive oil. (1.67%)
34.1g of salt. (2.14%)

This seems like a standard NY pizza dough recipe to me.  Heís said that he uses less water in his dough so I wonder if the real hydration is in the 57-59% range.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #202 on: June 13, 2020, 07:20:20 AM »
I get 60% Hydration? 33.6 X 28.3495 = 952.5/1587 = .60
Hans

Offline Chi_Guy

« Reply #203 on: June 13, 2020, 08:03:23 AM »
I get 60% Hydration? 33.6 X 28.3495 = 952.5/1587 = .60

Interesting, it appears that we are working with different conversion factors.  One Google search result indicates 1 fl oz = 29.57g which is what I used while another result says 1 fl oz = 28.35g and that results in a hydration of 60%.  Both still fall withiin the typical hydration range of NY style pizza.  A bit higher than what Lucaliís dough was thought to be.

Offline Chopper01

• Tasty High Hydration Pie Addict.
« Reply #204 on: June 13, 2020, 02:20:30 PM »
Gotta fill in the blanks lol, lots of options for ingredients.  I appreciate that Mark simplified for regular home use.

Herrine was funny lol, she baked the pizza on a upside down baking tray, then places the pizza on to a pizza stone when done  :-D .  Obviously she did that on purpose for people at home with no stone...

I really enjoyed the vid. Thank you Mark & Herrine!

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #205 on: June 13, 2020, 02:47:11 PM »
Also interesting is that he clearly can see that she's using AP flour and does not comment about it (unless that was edited out).

Offline RHawthorne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #206 on: June 14, 2020, 10:47:47 AM »
Thatís what I had too.  Converting the recipe he gave her to grams:

1587.5g of flour
993.5g of water (62.5%)
8.5g of yeast. (0.53%)
26.6g of olive oil. (1.67%)
34.1g of salt. (2.14%)

This seems like a standard NY pizza dough recipe to me.  Heís said that he uses less water in his dough so I wonder if the real hydration is in the 57-59% range.
Standard, except for the yeast . That is a frickiní mountain of yeast, I would say. No need to use anywhere near that much, unless youíre desperate to get the dough  cranked out within a couple of hours.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline RHawthorne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #207 on: June 14, 2020, 10:58:38 PM »
That's interesting. He has definitely said in the past that he uses no oil in his dough, but this recipe says otherwise. Maybe he's tweaking it for a home oven, or maybe he's changing it a little bit so competitors can't steal his recipe? Also, he tells her to use a wine bottle to roll out the dough because it's going to be hard (?). I'm thinking he means that the dough is supposed to be refrigerated right up to the minute it's going to be used. That's rather unusual, and  I'd say this is pretty significant for those who are trying to replicate his pies to the finest details.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 11:10:50 PM by RHawthorne »
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #208 on: June 15, 2020, 01:00:30 AM »
Huntís tomato sauce?  Gold Medal flour?  Iím already skeptical about the authenticity of the recipe.

All-Trumps is GM Gold Medal.  I haven't used it recently, but Hunt's was my favorite 30 years ago.  It was the best I could find.  Tomatoes are like wine.  There's good vintages and not so good.
John

Offline RHawthorne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #209 on: June 15, 2020, 11:04:14 AM »
All-Trumps is GM Gold Medal.  I haven't used it recently, but Hunt's was my favorite 30 years ago.  It was the best I could find.  Tomatoes are like wine.  There's good vintages and not so good.

Where are you getting your information on that first statement? I've certainly never heard that one before. I mean, yeah, All Trumps is labelled as "Gold Medal", but I don't see how that means it's the same thing as the Gold Medal flour sold in the grocery stores. If that were the case, I think a heck of a lot more people in the home pizza craft world would be aware of it. What exactly do you think All Trumps is equivalent to? Gold Medal bread flour? I can't help asking.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #210 on: June 15, 2020, 11:11:42 AM »
Gold medal is just one brand of flour owned by General Mills (they own many brands including pillsbury).  I think its really confusing because its one of their retail brands and the name is on a number of products, but the words "Gold Medal" are also printed on most of their commercial bags of flour. They have what seems like 50 different commercial flours, maybe more considering that most of them are available bromated, non bromated, bleached, not bleached etc.  Im sure because of its strong brand recognition they put it just about anywhere they can.

To say you use gold medal flour is similar to someone asking you what kind of car you drive and responding that you drive General Motors.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 11:42:56 AM by scott r »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #211 on: June 15, 2020, 01:39:05 PM »
Interesting, it appears that we are working with different conversion factors.  One Google search result indicates 1 fl oz = 29.57g which is what I used while another result says 1 fl oz = 28.35g and that results in a hydration of 60%.  Both still fall withiin the typical hydration range of NY style pizza.  A bit higher than what Lucaliís dough was thought to be.

1 fl oz water (at 4C) = 29.57g. 1 oz mass of anything weighs 28.35g
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #212 on: June 15, 2020, 04:05:38 PM »
1 oz mass of anything weighs 28.35g

On Earth...
John

Offline ARenko

« Reply #213 on: June 15, 2020, 07:17:50 PM »

On Earth...
Mass does not change with different gravity system.  Nor does the conversion factor.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #214 on: June 15, 2020, 08:32:25 PM »
Mass does not change with different gravity system.  Nor does the conversion factor.

He said "weighs".
John

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #215 on: June 15, 2020, 09:27:04 PM »
And I thought I was a pedant  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #216 on: June 15, 2020, 10:01:37 PM »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline ARenko

« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2020, 12:00:15 AM »
He said "weighs".
Oops, I read it as mass is, not weighs.     

Offline dstagl

« Reply #218 on: June 20, 2020, 03:35:01 PM »
I think you're making this harder than it needs to be to convert the recipe from the video.
Here's the recipe posted in the video description:
33.6 ounces of water
3 1/2 pounds of flour
0.3 ounces of yeast
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons of salt
Put room temperature water in a large mixing bowl.
Remove a cup of water and dissolve the salt in it.
Add the yeast in the mixing bowl and dissolve. Then add your olive oil and stir.
Add 25% of your flour to the water and mix until smooth.
Add the salt water and mix for approximately 15 seconds, add the remaining flour. Mix/knead for approximately 10 minutes.
When finished kneading, cover dough with saran wrap and let rest for 45 minutes.
Cut the dough into eight, 10-ounce balls.
Baste with EVOO, then cover with saran wrap and let rise in the refrigerator for six hours to overnight.

TOMATO SAUCE:
Yellow onion, finely chopped
Garlic, minced
Dry oregano
Canned tomato sauce 
Salt
Pepper
Sugar
Basil

-----
3.5 lbs = 56 ounces. (16oz = 1 lb.)
33.6 / 56 = 60% hydration
.3 / 56 = .5 % yeast
1 / 56 = 1.7% (1 tablespoon = .5 ounce)

So that gives us:
60% Hydration
.5 % yeast
1.7% salt
1.7% EVOO

My guess is the oil is there for the home oven.

Offline john95

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #219 on: July 02, 2020, 05:59:59 PM »
I love Lucali and it has inspired me years ago to create a quality pizza with good fresh ingredients. The sauce on my pizza  is made from scratch peeled the tomatoís myself. The owner Mark his success story was an inspiration to me as he kinda just went for it with 5,000 dollars to his name (If I remember correctly the video I watched) and how he converted the old candy store to one of the most popular pizza places in NYC. So after being a fan of his for so long I made the haul to Brooklyn from Philadelphia to try it. It was light and crispy had 5 slices quickly and didnít feel bloated or like crap and could really taste the different cheeses and basil. In my opinion the sauce was simple and wasnít messed with to much. I feel like people tend to always have ďa secret ingredientĒ. But in Markís words you donít want the 3 layers of a pizza to over power each other. So after tasting the pizza it made me realize hey I could really do this pizza thing. As Iím trying to secure a location and paperwork (which is a PROCESS in its own) Iím nervous, scared, excited, confident in my pizza and food, but this is my first business Iím opening and Weíll see where it goes. This is my ďminiĒ home oven sized lucali inspired pizza I will be selling.