A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Grandma & Grandpa  (Read 2520 times)

Offline AvivNY

• I Love Pizza!
Grandma & Grandpa
« on: February 26, 2017, 10:44:54 AM »
Hi fellow pizza bakers. I am looking to make my first Grandma and Grandpa pies. I typically use a Dough Joe pizza steel for my rounds. I am new to baking Sicilian style and using pans. Though I am baking these pies in a pan, should I still place the pan on the steel to bake? Also if anyone would have some good recommendations or direction for appropriate dough recipes I would greatly appreciate it. 
Thank you Piaziolo friends!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Grandma & Grandpa
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 11:17:57 AM »
My experience has been that if Sicilian style pizzas are baked on a deck surface the bottom of the pizzas get too dark or over done. When baking these in a home oven I like to use the standard issue oven baking rack and if using a commercial deck oven I place a pizza screen under the pan to create an air gap between the pan and the hot deck surface which helps to control the bottom bake.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline AvivNY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 12:19:17 PM »
My experience has been that if Sicilian style pizzas are baked on a deck surface the bottom of the pizzas get too dark or over done. When baking these in a home oven I like to use the standard issue oven baking rack and if using a commercial deck oven I place a pizza screen under the pan to create an air gap between the pan and the hot deck surface which helps to control the bottom bake.
Thanks for the great advice Tom! Should I get a pan the has holes on the bottom to let air to reach the crust? Or would a regular flat bottom rectangular baking pan do best?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 04:19:24 PM »
A dark colored, preferably non-stick flat bottom pan will serve you well, if you want to stay on the "truer" side of the tracks use a square or rectangular shaped pan. Because you will be proofing the dough in the pan the holes will only allow the dough to flow into them thus effectively locking the dough to the pan after baking so you will want to have a solid bottom pan. You might want to look into buying a deep-dish pan gripper to help you get the pizza out of the pan, not a necessity but nice to have.

HarryHaller73

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 08:53:29 AM »
Hi fellow pizza bakers. I am looking to make my first Grandma and Grandpa pies. I typically use a Dough Joe pizza steel for my rounds. I am new to baking Sicilian style and using pans. Though I am baking these pies in a pan, should I still place the pan on the steel to bake? Also if anyone would have some good recommendations or direction for appropriate dough recipes I would greatly appreciate it. 
Thank you Piaziolo friends!

I made a grandma pie last night. 
Basically NY dough with more fat.  Halved the typical mixing time to lessen gluten strength of the AT flour, just until came together.  24 hr CF, 3 hr RT.  Pressed into lightly greased pan, no additional proof.   WMLM mozzarella, grated parmigianno reggiano, hand cushed Alta Cucina tomatoes + Saporito super heavy, sauteed brocolli rabe with garlic, olive oil, powdered pecorino romano
Used 17" x 17" cold rolled Allied steel pan baked on oven rack, at 450F for 10-12 minutes.

TF: 0.11
All Trumps Flour (100%):    526.12 g  |  18.56 oz | 1.16 lbs
Water (58%):    305.15 g  |  10.76 oz | 0.67 lbs
IDY (.3%):    1.58 g | 0.06 oz | 0 lbs | 0.52 tsp | 0.17 tbsp
Salt (2%):    10.52 g | 0.37 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.19 tsp | 0.73 tbsp
Butter (10%):    52.61 g | 1.86 oz | 0.12 lbs | 11.69 tsp | 3.9 tbsp
Sugar (1%):    5.26 g | 0.19 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.32 tsp | 0.44 tbsp
Total (171.3%):   901.25 g | 31.79 oz | 1.99 lbs | TF = 0.11
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:10:59 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 09:26:21 AM »
HarryHaller73,

That is a very pretty pizza. How did it taste?

Peter

Offline AvivNY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 09:33:07 AM »
That looks awesome!

HarryHaller73

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 09:41:03 AM »
HarryHaller73,

That is a very pretty pizza. How did it taste?

Peter

Was very good.  It was crispy and very light with some pastry undertones from the butter.  The fresher tasting tomatoes (Altacucina) really highlights the pie.  The rapini was blanched in water for a few minutes to rid of bitterness and fried with garlic slivers, a nice dimension of Italian flavors + the 3 cheeses and natural saltiness.   Also, at 0.11 TF,  and cut 4x4, get a thin palm sized portion.   And something to be said about smaller portions, one ends up eating more, they get addictive.  I think that's what makes the grandma pizza so sublime.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:04:55 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 10:40:47 AM »
Real nice grandma pie Harry. I'll have to try that formula. Sometimes I make focaccia with 10% EVOO and the richness makes it quite good. People seem to really like it.

When you say powdered Romano, is that the shelf stable dehydrated version, or the non dehydrated powdered like Locatelli?
the proof is in the pizza

HarryHaller73

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 11:18:10 AM »
Real nice grandma pie Harry. I'll have to try that formula. Sometimes I make focaccia with 10% EVOO and the richness makes it quite good. People seem to really like it.

When you say powdered Romano, is that the shelf stable dehydrated version, or the non dehydrated powdered like Locatelli?

Locatelli brand.

It's in powdered form, though it's printed as "grated".  I believe they dehydrate it too before making into powder but not sure. 

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/a8adc9e8-6351-4d72-9a25-2daef2806e94_1.ee8c774897a21cd546ca5ef9a1bea53b.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 11:23:39 AM »
Thanks!
the proof is in the pizza

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 07:37:45 PM »