A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: difara ayce - meh  (Read 1598 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
difara ayce - meh
« on: March 08, 2017, 08:32:25 PM »
I've wanted to try difaras for years but have been deterred by the two-hour lines. I recently learned of a wine group that heads there every year, wine bottles in hand, for all-you-can-eat pizza and drinks for $43 per person. At first blush it seemed expensive but NYC is not corkage friendly and I figured at $5 a plain slice, I could eat $43 worth of pizza.

my first slice was from a plain pie (pictured below). I poured myself a splash of a great US cab, grabbed a slice and settled in for a life changing experience. Except it wasn't. The sauce was delicious, the cheese wonderful but there was no getting around it, the crust was tough. Maybe it's the house style, maybe it was an off-night (dom was under the weather so two of his guys were baking), but to my palate, every pie was marred by the crust. I asked my wife what she thought and she whispered back "the pizza you make is better".

Despite my disappointment with the pizza, it was a wonderful night. Lots of good, older italian wine, nice people and it was magical to have the whole place to ourselves. I plan to head back next year, hopefully dom will be doing the cooking.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 10:28:58 PM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline jsaras

Re: difara ayce - meh
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 09:04:31 PM »
I asked my wife what she thought and she whispered back "the pizza you make is better".

You're a victim of your own success.  Congratulations!
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 09:19:35 PM »
You're a victim of your own success.  Congratulations!

thanks, that's really nice of you to say! I just watched video rparker posted in this thread:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=46710.0

and it's pretty clear that the guys making the pies weren't making anything like dom's pies.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline Josh123

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 12:32:40 PM »
I've had several of Doms pies and they are unquestionably better. It's a shame. I need to make another trip before he retires for good.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 12:40:22 PM »
That's what adding Caputo will get you when the oven is running a bit cool. Casper-pies.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 04:59:08 PM »
we're heading back tonight for another all can you eat, free corkage night. He raised the price to $53/pp, still a good price given the opportunity to try so much wine, but this will be our last year if the pizza isn't better than last time.

photos to follow...

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 11:59:18 PM »
Dom wasn’t making the pizza but this time, every single pie was absolutely delicious. They just keep making pies until you say uncle. We had plain cheese, white pie, soprasetta with sun dried tomato, sausage, Pepper and onion, cherry tomato and wild onion, pepperoni Sicilian and two or three others. Patrice and I shared 1/2 slices so we were able to try it all.

There were a crazy number of great wines, happily many people thought the 97 montelena cab we brought was the wine of the night. The borolo pictured below was one of my favorites.

Best,
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 09:16:53 AM by quietdesperation »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 08:35:33 AM »
I think that's the first Di Fara pie I've ever seen with color on the rim.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Josh123

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 02:08:59 PM »
I think that's the first Di Fara pie I've ever seen with color on the rim.

?

Dom was known for charring the %$# out of a lot of his pies

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 01:13:04 PM »
?

Dom was known for charring BURNING the %$# out of a lot of his pies

FTFY.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 03:04:55 PM »
?

Dom was known for charring the %$# out of a lot of his pies

?

The squares maybe. Pretty much every round one I've seen was white as a ghost.