A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anthony's Coal Fired last night  (Read 996 times)

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
Anthony's Coal Fired last night
« on: March 11, 2017, 08:06:16 AM »
We took our out of town visitors there last night for wings and pizza. First, the wings are really, really good.

Inspired by the wonderful pie by Gianni yesterday in Post-Your Pie, we ordered a ricotta and meatball pie (the foursome sitting next to us highly recommended it). Very tasty toppings, a great combo. They use Grande mozz, the tomatoes are applied in spoonfuls, very flavorful, just the right amount of ricotta.   

Our company and Mrs JPB  thought it delicious. But, well, there's me...spoiled and ruined for most commercial pies. Sadly, as far as crust , this one included .

Dense rim, likely same-day dough., higher TF than I expected, probably 0.10   I confirmed All Trumps (I could see it in the handling) , watched the production, appeared to be pretty low HR, some oil in crust was noted. Baked in coal ovens, but...I asked the head pizzaiaolo (sp? sorry) about time and temp. He said the ovens go to 950. I said, not tonight, right? He confirmed my guess of 700, and  my time of 5-6 minutes. The top was nicely browned...sometimes their pies are charred, when the ovens are hotter. No char  here, the rim nicely browned but the underside somewhat pale. To me, with the exception of the most browned areas of the crust, which were in effect toasted, the crust had absolutely no taste at all. Luckily, the toppings were delicious.

My marks: Wings A, Service A, Ambience A, Toppings A, Crust C

We'd hoped to go to Marcella's in Bordentown but timing didn't work. That will be for another night. My expectations there are far higher.

Offline Fire-n-smoke

Re: Anthony's Coal Fired last night
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 09:06:13 AM »
you had me at the wings

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 06:06:24 PM »

He said the ovens go to 950. I said, not tonight, right?

HAHA

A coal bake is useless at 6 minutes. I like when they hit that 3-4 min sweet spot and that's it.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 07:04:24 PM »
Absolutely. .no hint it was coal if I hadn't seen the coal..First coal pie for me was at John's in the Village. ..now that was thin and charred and wonderful.

Thinking about last night i guess 700 may have been wishful  the time and temps don't seem to coordinate
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 07:18:33 PM by Jersey Pie Boy »

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 11:27:48 AM »
John From Jersey Confirming your thoughts
Wings are great ! Crust is Lackluster for sure  but beats the quick serve places!

I had been to few of those in Jersey days Mahwah/Ramset  rt17 and Fairlawn rt208
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfire.net

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 05:57:49 PM »
Thanks John  :)  There's a slice left in the fridge...somebody may want it. That wouldn't be me :-D

On the other hand, between Gianni's pie the other day, and the meatball ricotta pie from Anthony's, I'm craving some ricotta..so tomorrow night I'll bake a pie that has some leftover picadillo and some dollops of ricotta...thinking just a basic mozzarella base will be best..maybe toss in a few extra olives . And for me, some hot peppers

wordpress