A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: ithica ny?  (Read 2195 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
ithica ny?
« on: March 17, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »
My D will attend university in Ithaca NY starting in the fall. Would love your recommendations!

best,
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: ithica ny?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 12:14:24 PM »
My D will attend university in Ithaca NY starting in the fall. Would love your recommendations!

best,

I recommend gloves and a scarf! Congrats. Ithaca or Cornell?
Matt

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 12:45:35 PM »
I recommend gloves and a scarf! Congrats. Ithaca or Cornell?

thanks! cornell class of 2021
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 05:50:25 PM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline JAG

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 07:29:01 PM »
I made several trips to Cornell to work in their microfab for my company. Maybe try Caio Wood Fired Pizza, and if you are looking for other good casual eats other than pizza, maybe hit Collegetown Bagels, great house made bagels, have with a schmear or as bagel sandwiches, also great pastries and a large selection of coffees and teas. Of course this is probably not a take your daughter out for dinner worthy but a great place to get a quick meal between classes.  Or, if you go off campus,

Fat Jacks BBQ, BBQ joint on Elmira rd. nothing classy.
The BoatYard Grill, near Cayuga Inlet, a little more upscale.
Or, if you are looking for that college vibe hit Ithaca Commons, all kinds of college type joints there.

John   

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 09:50:12 PM »
thanks john, sounds great, much appreciated!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 07:19:04 AM »
quietdesperation,

I have a very good friend who is one of the best well read and smartest persons I know. As a kid, he got a full scholarship at Cornell, where he planned to major in math and physics. But after two years, he decided college wasn't for him. So, he became a dropout. He went through a series of jobs over his lifetime, one of which was a pizza operator, but never achieved financial success. And, to this day, he and his wife struggle financially. He admits dropping out of Cornell was a big mistake. So, unless your daughter plans to live with you and your wife at some point ;D, make sure she finishes school and picks the right course of study that will make her both happy and financially secure. That is the same advice that I plan to give to my grand-daughter once she reaches college age. The charts below pretty much say why.

Peter

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 11:26:56 AM »
quietdesperation,

I have a very good friend who is one of the best well read and smartest persons I know. As a kid, he got a full scholarship at Cornell, where he planned to major in math and physics. But after two years, he decided college wasn't for him. So, he became a dropout. He went through a series of jobs over his lifetime, one of which was a pizza operator, but never achieved financial success. And, to this day, he and his wife struggle financially. He admits dropping out of Cornell was a big mistake. So, unless your daughter plans to live with you and your wife at some point ;D, make sure she finishes school and picks the right course of study that will make her both happy and financially secure. That is the same advice that I plan to give to my grand-daughter once she reaches college age. The charts below pretty much say why.

Peter

It sounds like he made the right decision.
John

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 12:00:20 PM »

It sounds like he made the right decision.
jkb,

It could be. He is one of the happiest persons I know. And he is always smiling and laughs easily. But he has a wife and young child but no health insurance. His wife has a minimum wage job with no benefits.

Peter

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 01:13:57 PM »
Doggone it, Pie Boy isn't even on that job chart! And to think, I coulda been a scrum master..huh? Of course, seriously Peter is right.

Back to ithaca...yes. can get cold...needed warm jackets and hats to see 4th of July fireworks. .we were visiting friends

Is Moose wood restaurant still there?

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 05:19:00 PM »
peter,

thank you for your concern and the time it must have taken to find/post all those graphs. She's definitely in tune with the "where the big bucks are" graph, she'll be engaged in cornell's pre-med program. Given her personality, I'm not all too worried about a drop out but I have no illusions around the probability of a med school admission.

we've had pretty good luck mixing pizza and college visits.  Our oldest attends university of michican which has provided us an opportunity to try Detroit pizza. And our middle child is a soph at oberlin. I've alerted the family that we will be eating at thezaman's restaurant!

thanks again!

best,

Offline Qapla

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 09:53:26 PM »
Interestingly enough - a large number of the multi-millionaire NFL and NBA players are "drop-outs" as was Bill Gates

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 07:59:16 AM »
Interestingly enough - a large number of the multi-millionaire NFL and NBA players are "drop-outs" as was Bill Gates
Qapla,

Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook also dropped out of college.

As for the NFL and NBA rosters, as best I can tell there are about 1700 active roster players in the NFL and about 450 NBA active roster players in the NBA. I would guess that most of those players are college graduates. And not all of them are likely to be multi-millionaires. At the moment, there are about 324,720,342 people in the U.S. (with a new child being born about every 15 seconds). But even if we carve out the cohorts that are roughly in the age brackets for playing professional football and basketball, we are talking about maybe 65,000,000 people (see the chart below), or more likely about half that when women are excluded. So, if we carve out the drop-outs who are multi-millionaires (and also any foreign born players), the odds of success (meaning the percent of drop-outs that are multi-millionaires in the NFL and the NBA at any measuring point in time) are not particularly inspiring. I would imagine that the odds are not much better--and may even be worse--in the field of entertainment, which also sports many multi-millionaires who did not go to college or dropped out.

Peter

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 10:23:12 AM »

maybe interesting in the same way the sailors of greek mythology found the sirens' song interesting.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 10:26:37 AM by quietdesperation »

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 10:05:56 AM »
yesterday I ran into some old friends at the supermarket. Their son was a STEM student at cornell and they didn't have great things to say about the school in terms of support for the kids. also, they said top grades for pre-med become harder to attain as you move into your upperclassman years since everything is graded on a curve and weaker students move to other majors.

didn't leave me with a good feeling, can't help but feel middlebury might have been a better choice...

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 08:06:31 AM »
I live near Ithaca, @work in wine distribution and spend quite a bit of time there. As you might expect from a vibrant university town, a very good food scene. Here are some of my picks (all independent- I don't care for chains much):
(Higher end)
--Mercato
--le cafe cent dix
--heights cafe
--zaza cucina
--Mia
--John Thomas steakhouse
--Agava
--just a taste tapas and wine bar (actually very affordable)

(Mid priced)
--Saigon kitchen (love it!)
--joes
--Stella's
--Tamarind
--Thai express

(Cheap eats)
--oishi noodle (ramen!)
--Asia noodle
--viva taqueria
--gorger's
--collegetown bagels/Ithaca bakery (same owners)
--wegmans supermarket (not kidding)

(Not to miss- within a short drive from Ithaca)
--Danos heuriger (Seneca lake)
--stone cat cafe (Seneca lake)

You'll notice that I didn't include any pizza places.
There are NY STYLE places everywhere up here, but they are all more alike than different.
Certainly acceptable, but nothing special.
Of course there are the usual chains aplenty (5 guys, Panera etc.)

-clay

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 07:02:42 PM »
thank you corkd! We're heading up for admitted students day later this month, will start working our way through the list. if you don't mind, which distributor? I sorta worked in and around the business in my spare time.

thanks again!

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 10:54:23 PM »
Polaner selections

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 08:35:11 PM »
^ good stuff! I see you're from syracuse, we used to live in cazenovia. I commuted to rome ny to work in the radc at Griffiss air force base back in the day of the Star Wars Defense Initiative. we loved living in cazenovia!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:38:05 PM by quietdesperation »

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 08:29:11 AM »
Nice! There's an excellent WFO pizza place in Syracuse, if you are ever back this way: Apizza Regionale.
Worth a stop!

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 05:09:53 PM »
thanks, we'll probably get there at some point. I have a quite a bit of the wine you distribute in my cellar though over time, we really came to love a lot of joe dressner's wine.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:17:29 PM by quietdesperation »