A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: musings on a home pizza oven  (Read 6377 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: musings on a home pizza oven
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 12:31:03 PM »
received an email from citibank yesterday that they are discounting the number of thank you points needed to purchase home depot gift cards. Works out to a redemption value of 1.2 cents per point which isn't optimal but isn't bad.

I'm thinking about purchasing ~$300 worth of gift cards with points, couple that with a cheap 10% off ebay coupon and purchasing the blackstone in the fall. If I change my mind, it's easy to find a use for $300 worth of home depot gift cards. I have lots and lots of these points just sitting in the account, it almost seems like the oven is free.

too bad pizzaparty doesn't take points or home depot gift cards!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 12:39:47 PM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 09:54:51 AM »
noticed the blackstone is now $265 on amazon.  over the last month, I've had two opportunities to purchase a pizza party at very good prices. I'm going to stay the course with my plan of continuing to analyze the market and purchase towards the end of the year unless a great deal on a gas/wood pizzaparty comes along. I'm primarily looking at the bs, roccbox and pizzaparty though I've been tempted by the uuni 2s for < $200 on ebay.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 09:56:52 AM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 11:04:19 AM »
If you are strictly looking at the ratio of cost to the quality of pizza that can be baked, it will be tough to beat the BS at $265. The Pizza Party is far and away the best oven on your list. It's worth every bit of the money IMO, but it is substantially more than the others. The Roccbox is in kind of a weird place. To me, it seems too expensive for what it is. I can't imagine buying one unless you were really space constrained or needed the portability. In those two cases, it may be ideal. I'm not sure I've ever seen one used with wood or heard from anyone with one who has tried it with wood. I'm skeptical about how it will perform with wood. Personally, I wouldn't buy a uuni. It seems too temperamental and way too much work if you want to go high temp. Just my $0.02.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2017, 12:28:07 PM »
thanks craig, I agree, my central question is pp vs bs. The BS is a clear choice over the uuni and roccbox due to all the knowledge/support available on this forum. Unfortunately, when all is said and done, the pp with saputo and some other stuff is probably going to come in around $2k.

In the past, confronted with such a large hobby purchase, I've defrayed my costs by starting a side business around my hobby (wine for instance). It's something I've thought about with pizza but I'm not sure I want to make 100-200 dough balls and cook the accordant number of pies over the course of three or four days.

I suppose the silly part of my internal debate is that I can easily afford the pp...it just goes against my grain to spend so much on a hobby. sigh...anyhow, thanks again for your post, it helped focus back on bs vs pp.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 12:36:43 PM by quietdesperation »

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2017, 12:36:27 PM »

I suppose the silly part of my internal debate is that I can easily afford the pp...it just goes against my grain to spend so much on a hobby. sigh...

Hobbies are one of the few things worth spending on.......go for it!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2017, 12:55:41 PM »
In the end, when you buy quality, you only cry once.

While the BS does a respectable job for a great price, it cooks from the top a lot more like an impinger oven with hot forced air rather than a wfo which cooks primarily with IR. The Pizza Party, even running gas, bakes much more like a brick (high mass) oven. The BS wants to bake directly from the bottom and top, and the sides of the pie don't get quite enough heat. Also, the top heat is horribly uneven which is why it has to rotate. the majority of the cooking happens in maybe 25% of the oven as the pie passes through that super hot area. For the oven to be hot enough, it can literally be too hot in that area. I don't think the intermittent heat bakes the best crust. Also, I've watched fresh herbs catch fire in the hot zone, go out as they exit the hot zone, and reignite when they re enter it. It can be really hard on some cheeses too.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2017, 01:19:16 PM »
I started with kiln shelves in a conventional oven; then, baking using the self-clean cycle 2 houses ago; then moved to a 2 stone grill setup (first generation), which I maximized by tinkering with the propane ventri on my Weber genesis; then purchased a 3/8" steel plate just because, well, I had to have one; then built a drystacked WFO in the backyard of the last house (ugly, inefficient, and cheap); then finally to my current PP 70x70, with saputo tiles, which I am very happy with.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a blackstone when the PP started to catch my attention.....

My advice is not to get too caught up in the cost per pizza, if you can help it.

It's all about the journey!

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2017, 03:02:18 PM »
Thanks for that post, Craig..I think that explains some of why , while I like my BS, I find aspects disappointing. The color of the rim sides always looks somewhat gray and pale to me compared to my bakes in the home oven on steel.  I'll be keeping it for the foreseable future, but it's good to understand it more...and you explained why I get some of those disconcerting mini-flameups.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2017, 04:02:35 PM »
They way I try to fight the pale rim on a Blackstone pizza is a combination of adjusting the burner (I keep turning it down as the pizza cooks) and the Dylan shuffle. Sometimes there is one or two revolutions   with the burner at its lowest setting while doing the shuffle . This is for something that is too dark to be NY and definitely not Neapolitan. Wood oven-ish style maybe. 3 to 4 minute bake with the floor in the low 600s.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2017, 05:03:32 PM »
Thanks Jon...very useful info...That's the pie I am most often wanting to make...And turning the burner down is so counter-intuitive to making the crust darker, that I didn't think of that!

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2017, 09:39:42 PM »
Jon and Jersey Pie Door,  I don't have trouble getting color on the rim anymore, since I put a door on the BS.  I did it in the winter, thinking it would speed preheat times,  but found it it works great all year round and really improves the color, and addresses Craig's observation that the pizza goes from hot to cold.  I just took a sheet of stainless steel that I had from an old microwave, formed a hinge on one end, and mounted a post on the left side of the BS and slid the hinge side of the steel onto it.  I leave the door closed during warm up, open it up and load the pie,  keep it closed for around 60 to 80 seconds, then check on the pie.  The door doesn't cover the entire opening, but it certainly keeps a lot more heat in.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2017, 11:18:06 PM »
Good idea, Barry. I never considered adding a door.

JPB- be careful not to hit the crust with the flame from the burner when doing the shuffle. Leaves a not good scorch on the pie....ask me how I know...but the lower flame seem to reduce heating the top of the pizza but still toast the side. I have also reversed the power so the turntable moves counter clockwise and I like that a lot. You get to see the pizza before it goes through the hot zone.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2017, 04:52:48 AM »
Thanks Barry..good idea.....and thanks for naming your new door after me (see beginning of your post  :-D )

Thanks, Jon for that note..I too have had the pie hit the propane flame and that's no char. Ugh! .scorched is a a good choice of words. I read about the CCW mod a while back and now that's how I roll , or I guess, turn  :)

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2017, 07:46:34 AM »
Jon and Jersey Pie Door,  I don't have trouble getting color on the rim anymore, since I put a door on the BS.  I did it in the winter, thinking it would speed preheat times,  but found it it works great all year round and really improves the color, and addresses Craig's observation that the pizza goes from hot to cold.  I just took a sheet of stainless steel that I had from an old microwave, formed a hinge on one end, and mounted a post on the left side of the BS and slid the hinge side of the steel onto it.  I leave the door closed during warm up, open it up and load the pie,  keep it closed for around 60 to 80 seconds, then check on the pie.  The door doesn't cover the entire opening, but it certainly keeps a lot more heat in.

Barry, have you posted pictures of the door and the resulting pies? I searched but didn't find them. If not, can you please?

Matt

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2017, 08:50:58 AM »
Jersey Pie Door - while some might think it was a typo,  it think it is a great name for a door.

I haven't posted the photos before, because it looks so cobbled together - the indentations are because I took panels from the back and the side of the microwave that happened to be indented, and attached them, then just cut out the bottom so it clears the stone.    I  meant to go back and remake it with better materials, but never got around to it.

For the pie,  it could have stayed in a little longer, and I have made others that were much darker, it is just that I normally don't take photos of pies.  BTW,  this is 100% home milled white whole wheat,  so using bread or AP flour would likely have made it much darker, but you can see that the rim has some color.  I will be making more on Sunday and will post with a follow up. 

Any questions, let me know, as you can see, I didn't put much time into design or fabrication, and made it temporary so I could throw it away if it didn't work.  I was only trying to decrease preheat times in the winter, but it produces a much nicer product even when baking in the 80's, so I am keeping it.    I also built a little wooden handle with a hook to open and close the door, but it turns out the edge of the door extends past the opening and is so thin it doesn't hold any heat, so I can open and close it with just my fingers

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 08:53:20 AM by barryvabeach »

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2017, 09:28:11 AM »
Thanks a lot Barry! Looks very good. Did you find that you bake with the flame lower when using the door? Or no change?
Matt

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2017, 10:21:46 AM »
Yes,  I use a lower flame.  What I am doing now is setting a fairly low flame and preheating for about 15 minutes - when I check on it, the stone is normally around 750 -  if it is much higher, I close the door and turn the flame all the way down to let the stone cool down and even out ( otherwise the outer edge of the stone can get much hotter than the center )

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2017, 01:38:07 PM »
Thanks Barry..pie looks really good.  We can sell the door name to BS...they'll attach it with a lot of stickers  :-D

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2017, 07:30:05 PM »
on craigslist, about 2 hours away:
Mugnaini commercial wood fired pizza oven for sale. Sells for $12,950.00. 5 years old.
Pick up price $2500.00

jonfromalbany, this is in  your neck of the woods.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2017, 11:35:14 PM »
For the life of me, I can't figure out what restaurant in that area would have bought that oven. Based on the map, it's pretty close to my in-laws. The website for restaurant at the address says the kitchen is closed but the bar is open. Maybe it got bought but never installed.